Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Devo October 1st

Testing Obedience

Genesis 22:10-12 10Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. 12"Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

This is one of the most frightening stories in the Old Testament. Can you imagine sacrificing your only child? It’s tempting to ask why God would demand such a thing; the only answer is that this is a test of obedience. Why does God do this?

· First, so that he will know your obedience. God the omniscient knows better than to take your word for it.

· Next, so that you will know your obedience—or lack of it.

· Perhaps too, that you will know that God knows. Whom God finds obedient, He will welcome.

This is by no means the only time God does something like this. Read through this little passage again; you will see the words of the great saints: “Here I am.” The simple declaration of fact at the call of God—it is the sign of the obedient follower. Jacob responded to God that way; Moses saw the burning bush and responded the same way. The prophet Samuel, as a young boy living with Eli, is taught to respond this way. Isaiah hears the need for someone to go; “Here am I, send me.” When Christ calls out to Paul on the Damascus road, he replies this way. “Here I am” - not knowing what you want, Lord, nor trying to curry favor, nor arguing about my service; just present and ready.

The test varies somewhat; it is singular for the most part. God calls his servants one at a time, it seems. The call goes right to the heart—for that is where God’s rivals are. The call is usually made in blindfold manner—the servant of the Almighty does not know to what task he will be set. It doesn’t matter, really; what your Lord commands He will give strength to perform. Sometimes the call is sudden, as with Paul.. Other times it is played out over time, as here with Abraham.

The test, however, is always the same. Will you put God first in your life? Even to the extent of giving up other good things? If you put him first, all those other good things will fall into their rightful places. I love my wife. I love Christ more—and he commands me to love my wife.

Obedience is greater than sacrifice. A bigger check for the offering bag as a guilt offering means little. Standing still and replying, “Here I am, Lord” means a great deal more.

Lord, we so often attempt to set the conditions and limits of our service to you. Teach us to surrender in obedience.

www.becomingcloser.org/

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Visitor

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
X