Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devo for August 31

Are you worthy?

Why do bad things happen to good people? This is an age-old question that many of us have asked.

Sometimes bad things happen to us because we make poor choices. Like one time when my wife and I were first married; we left one of our house windows cracked open. The window did not have a screen and during the night a feral cat sneaked into the house. That was interesting way to wake up in the middle of the night; fortunately, Laura nor I were injured,
    and neither was the cat. But, this incident happened because we made a poor choice to open a window without a screen in it.

On the other hand, sometimes, bad things happen, and we do not really know why.

For example, in Job 1:6-8 and Job 2:1-6 as Satan is wondering the earth God asks Satan if he considered His servant Job. It is after this that we read that Job went through his terrible ordeal. God thought Job was strong enough and worthy of what Satan could do to him. We might not think of our sufferings and struggles in this way but what an honor!

The Most High and Holy God considered Job righteous and blameless, that he put Job up against Satan. God limited Satan’s power over Job and knew what Job could handle. Job’s suffering was not due to him making a sinful choice or doing anything wrong; he was considered worthy by God to endure and be faithful during his trials.

When bad things happen to us we may not know the why, but we can be able to rejoice in the fact that God may have considered us worthy to receive the trial that we face because He knows we can handle it.

James 1:2-4, puts it this way, “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
    And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

Then 1 Cor. 10:13, states, “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” These verses remind us not to give up in our trials, and our trials are not always a result of our sins.

I have read that when a potter bakes a pot, he checks its solidity by pulling it out of the oven and giving it a “thumping.” If it “sings” it’s ready.
    If it “thuds” it’s placed back in the oven. The character of a person is also checked by thumping. It may be: having no job, poor health, deadlines, marital troubles, or a “wild” cat unexpectedly in your home.

Those are thumps. Thumps are those irritating inconveniences that trigger the worst in us. They catch us off guard. Whether they are a crisis or everyday disappointments they hurt. They give us a thumping.
    We ask why do we have all these bad things happen to us?

Then we read, Job 2:3, “And the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.” Remember Job! God said, “Consider my servant Job.”

The Lord may just well tell Satan to consider us, but God knows we can handle it, we are worthy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Camden Ave Church of Christ

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Visitor

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
X