Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 15 Devo

It's Not My Fault

James 1:13-15 13 Don’t blame God when you are tempted! God cannot be tempted by evil, and he doesn’t use evil to tempt others. 14 We are tempted by our own desires that drag us off and trap us. 15 Our desires make us sin, and when sin is finished with us, it leaves us dead.

Some day, some genius in the world of greeting cards is going to come up with the all purpose card for sinners. On the inside it will read simply:

You were right,
    I was wrong, and
    I am sorry

Until such a card is available, we shall have to us older methods. The older method most in use is simply, "It's not my fault." Of course, that implies that it must be the fault of someone else. And of all the "someone else" candidates, God is the most convenient.

God, of course, is not responsible for our sins. Indeed, he is the ultimate example of a principle which should be better known: temptation comes from evil. Have you ever noticed that the people who want you to join in their slightly unethical schemes are more than slightly unethical themselves? The honest man poses no great temptation to you; indeed, he sets a pattern that is easy to follow. If temptation never gets a start, you never have to deal with it.

So where does temptation start? With us. We have been told that we should not restrain and discipline our desires—after all, we don't want to be repressed. So when the temptation comes along, it eats at us, because we will not seek God's aid in casting it out. Sooner or later, the forbidden fruit draws not just thought but action. It may be just a little action at first. But that action is the birth announcement of sin.

What shall we do about this? Start with the positive. God cannot be tempted because he is pure, and to the pure all things are pure. Imitate your Lord in this; set your eyes on purity. Seek after this true, humble righteousness. As you do, keep watch for the temptations most likely to affect you. Order your life so that these things are not in your daily life. Then seek the aid of your fellow Christians, asking them to hold you accountable in your weaknesses.

Lord, how often we tell ourselves that a little bit of sin won't hurt. We try to forget where that little bit leads. Keep us mindful of your word, Lord, so that temptation is exposed quickly and destroyed. Give us the desire for a pure heart and life, so that others may see you in our character—and that we, in purity, may see You.

www.becomingcloser.org/

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Visitor

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
X