Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 20 Devotion

Choosing Whom To Serve

"But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves today whom you will serve.........But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord"
    (Josh 24:15).

This is a very famous passage in our Bibles. I have heard it used a countless number of times in sermons. I have used it many times myself. The passage tells of a total commitment. A commitment for Joshua and his family in whom they would serve. Not the "gods your forefathers served beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living" (V 15).

Real commitments only work if we are completely sold on them. A partial commitment usually results in failure. Upon his retirement from the military in 1884, William Tecumseh Sherman was urged by his friends to run for political office. The famous quote attributed to him was, "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve." In affairs of state, one must make that total commitment also. A person must not only be capable of serving, but must be willing to assume leadership, regardless of the cost.

How much more does the work of sharing the gospel call of Jesus for dedicated people. Joshua said,"Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness" (v 14). He said now you choose who you will serve....I have already chosen for me and my family....We will serve the Lord....Totally.

Today the Lord is looking for people who will choose to serve Him. We cannot go in two directions. "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money" (Matt.6:24). As we choose to serve Him, we choose to be His representative. We choose to see the world through His eyes. We choose to serve it with His compassion.

The gauntlet has been thrown down to us just as Joshua did. The challenge is one of today, not tomorrow or next year. The challenge is personal...."but as for me." The choice is ours.

Have a great day....Make a difference, wherever you go...

www.northfieldchurchofchrist.org/

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X