So what Was the Thanksgiving Day Dinner Discussion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what Was the Thanksgiving Day Dinner Discussion?

We had Thanksgiving Dinner with my wife and youngest daughter; my former partner and her college age twins; her husband and his son, with his wife and two sons.

The longest conversation tonight was about Prepping. They just bought 110 wooded acres at the end of a dirt road about 70 miles from here. It has a small prefab house on it.

With Black Lies Murder, insane liberals tearing the country down over losing an election, Islamic terrorists already on the ground rioting and murdering here in Texas; combined with Thug countries that could use weapons from Atomic to Virial, to water and food poisoning; or shutting the country down with a sabotage of the Electrical grid or banking system through computer attacks; and that most of the country's fuel is refined less than 50 miles from here (you want to cripple the military and industry - cut off their refined fuel); or a pandemic; or a natural disaster. There is a lot of potential for Armageddon. If and when that happens, chaos like we could never imagine will happen. Those not prepared (most) will only survive by taking from those who are prepared. My extended family is putting together a plan on where to go and how to get there based on the disaster. My motorhome always has a full tank (800 miles) before parked. We have pallets of dried and canned food (50 people for 50 days) in a secure climate controlled remote location, that is rotated every 120 days and donated to food pantry. We have a number of remote locations with well water, plenty of ducks on and fish in ponds for meat and laying chickens in coops for eggs. Everyone has portable generators, monthly rotate fuel from a number of five gallon fuel jugs to vehicles, guns and ammo, silver currency to barter with and more. Every person has a duffle bag with five changes of rough clothing and 30+ days of medicine. All of this stuff is spread around in many very secure locations, with safety measures to ensure it stays secure.

Point is that my very extended family has quietly been preparing on how to sustain ourselves if all Hell were to break loose around here and how to protect ourselves from outsiders. All of that said, my ex partner and I have never discussed the topic in the 45 years we've known each other, and it was she and her husband that brought the subject up.

There's a prepper group those who might want to discuss these topics.

So what was the main topic at y'alls table this Thanksgiving?
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Between the limited people I allowed at my home, our conversation was light.

My Mom commented that there were not many people that attended Thanksgiving this year, I told her next year there will be less. I then made the announcement that any one in my family that brought bad drama into my life during 2016, was no longer part of my life. That kind of dampened the mood..
    His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Bringing up prepping topics make my kids think I'm nuts and their politics is 180 from mine not to mention they are way less educated than I am about politics so I don't even bring it up anymore. My kids have done nothing but suck the life out of me and I'm ready to move away but my wife is the snag on that. She has always been the snag when it comes to the kids plus she doesn't want to move away from the 'good' doctors and hospitals or the kids. She thinks like I do about politics at least but she doesn't think the snot is going to hit the fan any time soon.

At 65, I'm at the point where time is getting late to set up a good place to go plus my bank account isn't big enough anymore to get ready quickly. So, at the turkey table, I just listen to the turkeys gobble and squawk about crap that doesn't really matter. The grand daughter is the worse. She's 22 and still thinks the Dems are the right choice and really wanted Sanders in there because of his free college rhetoric and all the other crap the Dems believe in. She has no idea how things work and really doesn't care. She's a typical far left leaning liberal. The oldest is still hand to mouth but at least she's staying away from that pos druggie jail bird. I never hear from the middle daughter because my liberal sister has poisoned her mind with what a piece of crap I am and the youngest has had her mind poisoned by the left leaning liberal college she attended...but at least she likes me....I think lol. She at least isn't against guns but still hasn't gone for her CHL or even owns one yet after years of talking about it.

We are trying to be better prepped for storms etc but haven't talked about it lately. Problem with talking about the kids about stuff like that is that they are procrastinators to the max and are generally not open for discussion until the storm is upon them and then they all way to pile up over here unprepared and then just want to play games and fight with each other.

Comment

On the prepper front, we used to stock a lot of canned goods but with the kids all gone we don't go thru much food so it goes bad before we can cycle it out. If the shit really does hit the fan hard here, we have enough supplies for me to take in the plan I have.
        We have well water for drinking and a way to get power to supply the pump. If you do have power when others don't whatever you do, don't use it for lighting... It will only serve as a beacon for others to find you. Make sure you have at least one night vision scope. We have no silver or money to barter with but we do have ammo....
        I feel weapons, ammo and medical supplies with have the highest value (besides food of course)
        In the latter days of the zombie apocalypse, (if you survive that long) make sure you have small game weapons and ammo. Big game (cows, deer, pigs etc) will all be gone and squirrels, rabbits and fish will be the meat source.

and just because i like y'all....... I have a fuel pump and hard line set up that will pump fuel from the underground tanks at gas stations, so when the stations don't or can't open you can extract fuel from the tanks where the trucks fill the tanks up.
        His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
        2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

We each have one bag of "Scrap Silver" which is pre 1964 dimes, quarters and halves that are not in good enough condition to be collectible. I paid 11:1 face value ($5500 for a $500 bag) and I think its currently trading 13:1.

If currency is devalued; or a cyber attack brings down the stock market, commodities market, banking system, or credit card processing - small silver coins will have value to virtually anyone, while ammo spoil. Guns include pistols of varioûs calibers, 12ga pump shotgun, assault rifle, and high powered "hunting" rifle. All passports, birth certificates, vehicle titles and other important papers in safe. Guns, ammo, papers, jewelry, silver can be in canvass bag from safe in minutes. Garage has canvass bags with two tents, sleeping bags, and other survival stuff.

In ten minutes, the safe emptied and it, each of our duffel bags of clothes (jeans, shirts, jacket, sneakers, boots, underwear, medicine), camping stuff, cooler, generator, us and dogs can be in Volvo XC90 - heading somewhere safe.

Everyone should at least have that most basic of plans.

Comment

Bringing up prepping topics make my kids think I'm nuts and their politics is 180 from mine not to mention they are way less educated than I am about politics so I don't even bring it up anymore. My kids have done nothing but suck the life out of me and I'm ready to move away but my wife is the snag on that. She has always been the snag when it comes to the kids plus she doesn't want to move away from the 'good' doctors and hospitals or the kids. She thinks like I do about politics at least but she doesn't think the snot is going to hit the fan any time soon.

At 65, I'm at the point where time is getting late to set up a good place to go plus my bank account isn't big enough anymore to get ready quickly. So, at the turkey table, I just listen to the turkeys gobble and squawk about crap that doesn't really matter. The grand daughter is the worse. She's 22 and still thinks the Dems are the right choice and really wanted Sanders in there because of his free college rhetoric and all the other crap the Dems believe in. She has no idea how things work and really doesn't care. She's a typical far left leaning liberal. The oldest is still hand to mouth but at least she's staying away from that pos druggie jail bird. I never hear from the middle daughter because my liberal sister has poisoned her mind with what a piece of crap I am and the youngest has had her mind poisoned by the left leaning liberal college she attended...but at least she likes me....I think lol. She at least isn't against guns but still hasn't gone for her CHL or even owns one yet after years of talking about it.

We are trying to be better prepped for storms etc but haven't talked about it lately. Problem with talking about the kids about stuff like that is that they are procrastinators to the max and are generally not open for discussion until the storm is upon them and then they all way to pile up over here unprepared and then just want to play games and fight with each other.

Comment

Whoa, Deja Vu

Comment

Yeah, have no idea what happened there!

Comment

How much time does ammo have on it? A good friend of mine also speaks about ammo going bad too but hasn't been able to answer that question. It's different I'm sure and I would assume how it's stored makes a big difference too. I have some that's at least 40 years old that still works fine. It may not be as potent as it was when it was fresh but it still fires and seems to be just as accurate as it was when new. I also understand that today's ammo is made to only have a shelf life of only so long....

Comment

alot of it has to do with humidity and moisture getting trapped inside. It hasn't change, always been like that. Technically you can store ammo in perfect conditions and it will last decades. Most won't completely fail, but not be as effective. Fresher is better, so rotate ammo.

Comment

I rotate some of it.....by shooting it and replacing what I shot. I pick up some at pawn shops here and there and you can usually tell if it's old or not by the box or if it's been subjected to a lot of humidity. Picked up a bunch of 12g shot gun shells that were pretty old and discolored and it shot ok. At least it still kicked pretty hard and tore up some stuff lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                        How much time does ammo have on it? A good friend of mine also speaks about ammo going bad too but hasn't been able to answer that question. It's different I'm sure and I would assume how it's stored makes a big difference too. I have some that's at least 40 years old that still works fine. It may not be as potent as it was when it was fresh but it still fires and seems to be just as accurate as it was when new. I also understand that today's ammo is made to only have a shelf life of only so long....
                        Depends on the ammo . .22 seems like nothing affects it . My .54 comes it a spam can , so nothing affects it , So I'd have to agree with Dave . Moisture , humidity, and exposure to the elements .
                        All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                          I rotate some of it.....by shooting it and replacing what I shot. I pick up some at pawn shops here and there and you can usually tell if it's old or not by the box or if it's been subjected to a lot of humidity. Picked up a bunch of 12g shot gun shells that were pretty old and discolored and it shot ok. At least it still kicked pretty hard and tore up some stuff lol
                          Now that stuff here , with me is a bad deal to try to store . Even though it may still get off , loses alot of it's potency .

Comment

Btw , to answer the topic's Q . I did something I don't do . I watched football and actually enjoyed all of it except the 1/2 time show .

Comment

Visitor

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X