Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 150 USD, Received: 30 USD (20%)
Any help with the $200+ per month expenses of maintaining MoparStyle will be greatly appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super stock springs?

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Super stock springs?

I think I have super stock springs on my 69 Coronet, at least they are 20" from front bolt to center bolt. How many leaves should each side have? Mine have six on each side plus two half leaves on front end of drivers side stack. Does this make sense?

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

From your description it sounds like probably SS springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't know how long they should be but do you have extended front hangers? SS springs are made to fit 'A' body cars without extended hangers and you have to have them to fit B and E body cars. And if you have extra leafs on the driver's side, they are on the wrong side. I also don't know how many leafs should be in them but the part number will tell you what they are, ie spring rate.

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have SS springs on my 68 coronet..i can check tonight to see what the specs are and let you know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigb View Post
    I think I have super stock springs on my 69 Coronet, at least they are 20" from front bolt to center bolt. How many leaves should each side have? Mine have six on each side plus two half leaves on front end of drivers side stack. Does this make sense?
    Sounds like and it sounds like they are on the wrong sides of the car. the extra leafs are usually on passenger side.
    Pictures??

Post Thanks / Like

While they started out being for A-Bodies -- Mancini Racing (and others) sell versions made for B-Bodies. They do raise the ride height. I almost put them on my Superbird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hippie View Post
    While they started out being for A-Bodies -- Mancini Racing (and others) sell versions made for B-Bodies. They do raise the ride height. I almost put them on my Superbird.
    Yeah, seems like I recall hearing about that....

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a lot of knocks on SS springs -- but I have them on the Aspen and it 60's as well as Dallas' Demon with CalTracs -- when both have a 550HP+ 408 motor in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The main thing I don't like about SS springs is that they lift the rear end up just sitting static and that's exactly what you don't want. Even the lowest rate SS spring lifts most cars over an inch and the only reason to lift the rear is for tire clearance and even that shouldn't be done. Before all these new fangled and expensive traction devices came out, there were many leaf cars running hard and without spending the money for SS springs. Imo, there are better leaf springs out there than the old tech Super Stockers....and ones that don't jack up the rear end.

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cranky I understand your point. There is another view that I have heard & also read from Mopar Performance on setting up SS springs. These springs are supposed to allow body rise which pushes down on the rear end. In an automatic trans car about 4" of rise, manual not that much. Also needed are longer shocks that will extend without limiting the body rise. I have seen many bracket cars in our area using them, but I've also seen those who don't like them. I use them on the bracket car, but have Cal-Tracs on the stocker. I guess it still comes down to what works best for each individual.

Drag Racing Rookie HerboldRacing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeboy8 View Post
    Sounds like and it sounds like they are on the wrong sides of the car. the extra leafs are usually on passenger side.
    Pictures??
    Maybe he has one of those weird foreign motors in his car that twists the opposite way?

Yeah, I would have thought that the extra leafs would be on the passenger side, not the drivers side.

Marvin Herbold

1973 Plymouth Duster 340 Strip Car & 1965 Dodge Dart 270 w/ GT Interior Daily Driver
    Weblog - http://www.HerboldRacing.com
    Videos - http://www.YouTube.com/mherbold

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larry383 View Post
    Cranky I understand your point. There is another view that I have heard & also read from Mopar Performance on setting up SS springs. These springs are supposed to allow body rise which pushes down on the rear end. In an automatic trans car about 4" of rise, manual not that much. Also needed are longer shocks that will extend without limiting the body rise. I have seen many bracket cars in our area using them, but I've also seen those who don't like them. I use them on the bracket car, but have Cal-Tracs on the stocker. I guess it still comes down to what works best for each individual.
    Ya, I understand that....I was talking about static settings. Every set of SS springs I've installed put the rear of the car into the clouds and even after taking out two leafs from the last set, the car still set up over 3" above stock height. The springs were 'right' for the weight of the car according to the part number. I ended up de-arching them to get the car down. I want my leaf springs to be stiff in the front segment to help create lift at the launch but I don't want them to raise the car up when the engine isn't even running. I've had excellent results re-stacking stock type leaf springs and I figure if I'm going to hassle with 'off the shelf' stuff, may as well just use what I already have and most of it comes from people who bought new springs and then decided it wasn't what they wanted and went and bought something that suited them and then gave or cheaply sold the nearly new ones to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    Ya, I understand that....I was talking about static settings. Every set of SS springs I've installed put the rear of the car into the clouds and even after taking out two leafs from the last set, the car still set up over 3" above stock height. The springs were 'right' for the weight of the car according to the part number. I ended up de-arching them to get the car down. I want my leaf springs to be stiff in the front segment to help create lift at the launch but I don't want them to raise the car up when the engine isn't even running. I've had excellent results re-stacking stock type leaf springs and I figure if I'm going to hassle with 'off the shelf' stuff, may as well just use what I already have and most of it comes from people who bought new springs and then decided it wasn't what they wanted and went and bought something that suited them and then gave or cheaply sold the nearly new ones to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerboldRacing View Post
    Maybe he has one of those weird foreign motors in his car that twists the opposite way?

Yeah, I would have thought that the extra leafs would be on the passenger side, not the drivers side.
    Or maybe you're looking at the wrong end of the car!

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Checked my Coronet and the half leafs are on the passenger side....

MoparStyle Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a sideview of my car with the SS springs. When I narrowed the rear & moved the springs in, I used the stock length rear hangers, angled slightly to the rear. The front eyelet is adjustable in a matter of minutes up or down depending on how much rise I want or need. I tried every position. This one @ static seems to work the best in our driveway testing. To the track where I'll have a better idea.

Thread Information