Hard downshifting PT Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard downshifting PT Cruiser

My wife's 2003 PT Cruiser 100K miles started downshifting real hard. Upshifting is normal. It was low on fluid so I topped it off. The fluid did not look or smell burned. She said it is better, but still doing it. Will changing fluid and filter help? Additives?

Thanks for any help,
    Marty

The wifes sister had that issue..Her's was an 07 though.. She had the TCM re-flashed and it straightened out the shifts..don't know if 03 has the same tech..
    9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by ~~Mutt~~ View Post
      The wifes sister had that issue..Her's was an 07 though.. She had the TCM re-flashed and it straightened out the shifts..don't know if 03 has the same tech..
      Thanks for the info.

Is that something I can do at home?

Marty

Comment

Do you have the specialized computer tools that the dealer has to reflash your computer? Generally, the charge isn't that high (75 bucks maybe) to flash the control module. Does the car show any codes? The 2003 has the capability to show you any code set using the key flip method.....which is on/off....on/off....and lastly on and leave the key in the on position. IIRC, any codes will show up in your speedometer window. If it shows any codes, you can do a google search on what the codes are. Also, when was the last time you've done a fluid and filter change on the trans? And welcome to the site!

Comment

Pull codes with the key if you can, then pull the positive battery cable and ground it for a couple minutes to re set the ECM and see if that cures it.

Comment

BG chemicals makes the best A/T conditioner I ever used, it even freed up stuck solenoids in GM 700R4's!
            Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
            "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
            I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Working...
            X