How to remove glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove glass

Hi, I'm new to the restoration scene. My son and I have a 1940 Windsor that has become our joint project car. Right now were trying to figure out how to remove the passanger door glass and get a new one cut. Question is how is it held in the lift track ? Can't really see anything that holds it and it seems like it's set in a rubber(?) channel.
    Any help would be great.

bob

I personally have never removed one from that model but you might try gently prying up with a small screwdriver inserted between the glass and the channel. Applying a little heat to the channel may help too. Just be sure to not heat too much in one spot for too long. Don't give up, it went in so surely it will come out.
    stercus accidit

Comment

Ok I'll give it a try with some heat, seems what ever I do I'm fighting 70 years of cureing and rust.
      At least it's built with left over metal from the Titanic

bob

Comment

If the door glass moves up and down it's not "set in rubber", in most cases the bottom of the window channel is attached to the door structure with a bolt that is removed to allow the channel to be spread enough to allow the glass to be removed once it's disconnected from the regulator.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
        Blaise Pascal

Comment

With all the frame off and the window raised it looks like the window is set in rubber in the chanel. The glass doesn't move at all but the edge of the rummer has some flex to it , looks like it's seized fr4om age.

bob

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I mean "rubber" (tough when your working with three thumbs)

Comment

Ha! 1100 watts of heat and a sharp screwdriver and tommorrow the glass goes to the glazier.

Ok one down and 245------- to go

Comment

Is it set in the bottom like a vent wing of the 60's cars is?

Comment

Yup it was set in some type of rubber base adheasive ? Softened right up with the heat gun and was able to get it out in one piece.
                Now to clean the rust out of the chanel and clean it up for the new glass.

ps: didn't have to call the fire dept once.

Comment

ps: didn't have to call the fire dept once.

Ha Ha Ha...

Comment

Oooops...my bad!

If you didn't need to keep the old glass, I have an M4 here that does a great job on car windows. And doors. and fenders. and for that matter, watermelons!

Comment

Working...
                    X