1947 Rear axle question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Rear axle question.

I got a question I'm hoping someone can answer. What rear diff will swap into a 1947 Fargo pickup. It's a half ton with 5 bolt wheels. A friend owns it and needs a replacement. Will an early 59's be a direct fit?
    Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

I don't know the answer, but the 50s axles and their brakes suck. I think I'd look for a mid to late Sixties truck Dana 60 and have it narrowed to fit. It opens up options for gears, has far better brakes, and is flat stronger and more dependable. There are plenty of people handy with a sawzall, tape measure, and welding perches.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

I agree but he's wanting to keep it original if possible. It's an original truck and until this summer it was a daily driver too.

Comment

I think the simplest solution is a gears that would swap in. Next a whole axle swap from a similar vintage. Lastly would be a swap from a newer vehicle. Knowing spring perches and shock mounts would have to move. Having an axle narrowed I'd definately out of his budget.

Comment

There is actually a fair bit of interchange with the T carriers including some car pieces. No, I don't have the info memorized so log into www.p12-d24.com and ask in the Pilot House section. Additionally, check for a 39-47 truck forum...I can't find a link right now...have been there before.....
          Quality Engineered Components
          EarlyHemi Parts and Tech
          http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

Comment

By 59, the 8 3/4 was in production and there's lots of different widths from 'A' body being the narrowest to the pickup truck ones being the widest iirc. Station wagons are pretty wide too along with the E body rear also.
            Last edited by Cranky; 11-10-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X