Decarbing Engine Using Water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decarbing Engine Using Water?

Hello and good day, everyone. Been wondering how I should go about decarbing my engine. 3.7L in my 2008 Jeep Liberty (46K miles). I have read a little bit about it and read a few articles on using water. Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I am curious is because my Jeep rarely sees 3K RPMS.
    2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
    Far from stock

Gager! LTNS! decarbing meaning how? Combustion or internal oiling? either way, if combustion, like thru the intake, the valves, combustion chamber and then out, I've been using only one thing for over 25 years. For the optimum cleaning, find a local distributor, because it's NOT sold in stores, it's made by BG Chemicals and called 44K. Small can and it's not cheap, (about 8ounces and $20), but will even smooth out a slightly rough idle in 20 miles or less. BG makes an entire line of driveline supplements, their ATF conditioner works miracles too. Pour it into a FULL tank of gas and DO NOT spill it on the paint! The best way is, selling dealers have a gravity draw system kinda device that allows it to flow in thru a vaccum port, best if you have one IN FRONT of the throttle body. They start and run the car till optimum running conditions, them meter in the 44K thru the vacuum port as it idles, instant results that way and worth the $30 or $40 bux they might want to charge for doing it. PS, if ya spill this stuff on the paint around the gas cap, IT WILL remove paint! I'm doing it via the vacuum port way on my 2002 LeSabre tomorrow, it runs and drives great but has 87K miles and I KNOW it's never been done, I inherited the car, funny you should ask at the same time I'm going to do it myself! If you're talking crankcase, remember, any heavy sludge the falls loose is gonna end up in the oil pan and possibly clog up your oil pick up tube, then the pan has to come off, if ya CAUGHT IN TIME BEFORE MAJOR ENGINE BEARING DAMAGE WAS DONE. Crankcase flushes that I have used over the years I've gotten lucky with, or are just good stuff. I've always used GUNK 5 Minute engine flush, again, don't spill it on the paint. If you do it, use it as directed, in a warmed up engine and only let it IDLE for the 5 minutes. I've known of a few that took them out and DROVE them for 5 minutes, and returned home with wiped out bearings, and even in one case, wiped out shaft type rocker arms! Be reminded, crankcase flush systems are also EXTREMELY hard on any nylon you might have around or part of your timing chain system. It can and will cause the nylon to break (where does it go? into the oil pan, clogs the screen), and causes running/performance problems, and in worst cases, engine failure. I hope I've been a help, and only recommended what I use religiously, and have used for many years, without ill returns. The only real way to clean them up, is I'm sure you already know, and don't want to do. Pull it out, take it apart, and do it right. let me know how it works out for ya, mainly because you never said why you might want to do so. Curt
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Hemi! I always appreciate your opinion. Yes, I know it's been a while. I know to come here for good information. I'm concerned with the decarbing the combustion side of things. When I had the Road Runner, I used Sea Foam with noticeable results. I have heard of the product you are talking about, 44K, and might do some more reading on it.

Been trying to cross a few things off the to do list for the Jeep and this is one of them.
      I feel that I need to do this because I am always way too LIGHT on the throttle so there is probably some buildup. Definitely looking for a product or suggestion to add through a vacuum line.
      Far from stock

Comment

Watched a neighbor do it in the mid 60's to a 58 Ford. He claimed it ran better afterwards. You don't want the engine to be too hot when you do it and just sprinkle a very small stream into the carb. I think a spray bottle set on stream would work well. How come you never take it past 3k rpm?

Comment

because he built it for show and not for go :ROFLMAO:

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

we wouldn't understand, Cranky.

Comment

Not really sure. I guess no one ever told me to drive it that way. It gets up to speed just fine without flooring it and I always drive the speed limit. If I were to just go for a spirited drive, would that help? And to what revs would cleaning really take place if I were to do it that way?
            Far from stock

Comment

all kidding aside.......

There was a mechanic EVERYBODY took their cars to when it came time for a tune-up. Years later, I asked him why he was so popular. He told me he drove the cars like the owners did not. Just so happens his shop was right near the on and off ramp of the highway. What he would do is before he even lifted the hood on the car, he'd take them for a romp up the exit, and then romp it back. Let it cool and then do what anybody else would do.

Everybody swore he had the best tune-ups anywhere and all he did was "goose" it to clear out the carbon ( within mechanical limits, of course).

General rule of thumb is to get a little spirited one in a while ( once a tank?) and let the car reach it's top end to keep everything clear. These things have a habit of being complacent and learning "you" after a while. They get sluggish and lazy. G'head, use that cold air kit and that exhaust for something.

Comment

Jokes are always welcome. I'm not afraid to admit to being the slow driver. I have to find a good road to rev her up on. You forgot to mention my extra power from the programmer, too. I'm actually in the middle of cleaning the filter for the cold air intake. It's just about dry, just have to oil it.
                Far from stock

Comment

you live in Jersey.

......... where is there NOT a highway where you would get killed for doing under 70mph????

Comment

Yeah tons of highways around here. The road I live on is a highway and the speed limit is only 55mph.
                    Far from stock

Comment

I lived and worked in Jersey. 55 is a suggestion, lol. It's either 80 to keep up with traffic or sitting in it. Take your pick.

Drop it to L1 and boost it a bit is all. 2500-5500 rpm bursts is all. A few of those and good to go. It's not speed, it's all rpm range.

Comment

Might get a chance to take her for a spin tonight. What do you mean L1?
                        Far from stock

Comment

sorry, old guy speak for "lowest gear possible on the shifter". You have Drive and then the two below it. Probably a 2 and a 1. 1 means 1st gear is highest it will go. 2 means 2nd highest it will shift to, etc. You want "1". It keeps the speed down and rpm up.

Comment

That's what I thought you meant. Just double checking. I'm thinking of this back road tonight no one goes down with a speed limit of 35. Maybe do this exercise 5 times and call it a night?
                            Far from stock

Comment

I am "blowing the carbon out" at least once a week on everything I drive.:angel:
                              The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                              Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X