36K Checkup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36K Checkup

Dealer sent me a notice the other day in the mail to come in for a 36K checkup. This is my first "new" vehicle so what should I expect when I bring it in? Do they try to scam you on these checkups, or are they honest and only tell you what you need. If you ask me, there is nothing at all wrong with it. This is for my 2008 Jeep Liberty.
    2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
    Far from stock

Bring your checkbook, you'll need it.
    The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
    ~Ted Nugent

Comment

If you pull out your owners manual package it will have a maintenance book in there that will list all the things needed at 36000 miles. Seeing that it is 4 years old, they will try to base anything needed on the years of service and not the mileage.

A little hard to see, but this is what they will try to get you for.

Last edited by Trannyman; 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM.
      His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've got a warranty still left on it for a little while. I will take a look at the manual.
        Far from stock

Comment

They will probably try and sell you an extended warrenty then!

Comment

And like oldDemon says, Take yer checkbook. They WILL try to sell you something, it's their job, especially maintenance items. Flushes, Filters, 36k? Tires are a little thin, so are the brakes.
            His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
              And like oldDemon says, Take yer checkbook. They WILL try to sell you something, it's their job, especially maintenance items. Flushes, Filters, 36k? Tires are a little thin, so are the brakes.
              It's certified used. Tires are 80 percent, and rear brakes were done before I bought her. Oil changed a thousand miles ago.
              Far from stock

Comment

ALL my new vehicles were serviced by me and I never had a problem with any warranty work when it was needed. Just keep records. Hell, some people even take pics of when they service their cars and with today's digital cameras etc, that's easy. Screw the dealer. When my Durango freeze plugs started leaking, I told them to change ALL of them. Did they? Nope. New that it's out of warranty, the back one is leaking. Forkers. They will try and tell you that you need to let them service it for the warranty to be good but if you read it, it doesn't say that anywhere.....at least mine didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                  ALL my new vehicles were serviced by me and I never had a problem with any warranty work when it was needed. Just keep records. Hell, some people even take pics of when they service their cars and with today's digital cameras etc, that's easy. Screw the dealer. When my Durango freeze plugs started leaking, I told them to change ALL of them. Did they? Nope. New that it's out of warranty, the back one is leaking. Forkers. They will try and tell you that you need to let them service it for the warranty to be good but if you read it, it doesn't say that anywhere.....at least mine didn't.
                  I'm definitely on your side with this one. I just want someone that knows my vehicle inside and out to look at it. I can do a good amount of work on it myself if needed, and my dad's shop is up the road if I need it to go on a lift.
                  Far from stock

Comment

Carry out 36,000 mile service
                    Run diagnostic
                    Run VIP system enquiry for outstanding service notices
                    Replace engine oil and filter
                    Replace aircon filter
                    Replace cabin filter
                    Replace serpentine accessory drive belt
                    Check and top up all fluids
                    Check and lubricate all major systems (i.e. steering, brakes, suspension)

I'd assume you can check your own belts and hoses, etc. I'll get a fight on this, but change trans fluid and def check dif/gear fluids if 4wd. DO re-program back to stock factory settings with your tuner so they don't cry foul about the logic "creating issues". That is a HUGE problem with people who uses tuners going back into the dealer.

Also... nitpick. Even if nothing gets done, if something happens down the road at least you have it documented. I can't tell you how many times I heard "It was only a little bubble and then this big hole appeared!". Uh, well, you have a body warranty, did you go to have it checked? Noooooo. MoPar doesn't cover bubbles. They cover rust, tho

My guess? 325 for the 36k checkup.

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
                      Run diagnostic
                      Replace aircon filter
                      Replace cabin filter

I'd assume you can check your own belts and hoses, etc. I'll get a fight on this, but change trans fluid and def check dif/gear fluids if 4wd. DO re-program back to stock factory settings with your tuner so they don't cry foul about the logic "creating issues". That is a HUGE problem with people who uses tuners going back into the dealer.

Also... nitpick. Even if nothing gets done, if something happens down the road at least you have it documented. I can't tell you how many times I heard "It was only a little bubble and then this big hole appeared!". Uh, well, you have a body warranty, did you go to have it checked? Noooooo. MoPar doesn't cover bubbles. They cover rust, tho

The suspension on my Durango doesn't have any grease zerks but it's not a 4x4 either. Also, I maintain it using the severe duty section in the owners manual and pick and choose what I think it needs based on how things look and feel...for example, I change the trans fluid and engine oil sooner than the manual says to etc. Also don't forget to check the blinker fluid and muffler bearings too

Comment

Originally posted by nonstick View Post
                        Run diagnostic
                        Replace aircon filter
                        Replace cabin filter

Cool. I definitely want my trans fluid changed. Good point about the tuner, I definitely did not forget about that. I was thinking about calling them to see if I can get some sort of estimate. Will it cost money just for them to check everything? I trust the Midas up the road and was thinking just getting the trans fluid done there for $90. It is 4x4 and I'd probably like to get that checked, too. I checked and changed the rear fluid myself on my Road Runner which was a piece of cake.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                        The suspension on my Durango doesn't have any grease zerks but it's not a 4x4 either. Also, I maintain it using the severe duty section in the owners manual and pick and choose what I think it needs based on how things look and feel...for example, I change the trans fluid and engine oil sooner than the manual says to etc. Also don't forget to check the blinker fluid and muffler bearings too
                        How did you know my blinker fluid was low? I wonder if they'll say or notice my exhaust system.
                        Far from stock

Comment

The problem is a lot of non-dealer shops won't put the right fluid in them. Rather than ATF+4 these places like to use Dexron with an additive. Double and triple check that they will use the right stuff.
                          12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

ditto

ditto on the correct fluids. I had a friend bring me her neon w/ a blown 5 spd trans a few years back. Found out it req'd special MOPAR fluid that looked like reg ATF. Avail only from MOPAR @ about $30 a quart! failure to use it supposed cause the trans to self destruct within 100 miles or so bro in law told me. Audi and BMW also have thier own also, at $38 per litre! I'm sure there are many others also. good luck.
                            Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                            "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                            I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Originally posted by Gageraid View Post
                              Cool. I definitely want my trans fluid changed. Good point about the tuner, I definitely did not forget about that. I was thinking about calling them to see if I can get some sort of estimate. Will it cost money just for them to check everything? I trust the Midas up the road and was thinking just getting the trans fluid done there for $90. It is 4x4 and I'd probably like to get that checked, too. I checked and changed the rear fluid myself on my Road Runner which was a piece of cake.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

How did you know my blinker fluid was low? I wonder if they'll say or notice my exhaust system.
                              Not sure about it but I've been told that the dealer can find out from the vehicle's computer if it's been 'tampered' with, ie, tuner programs that have been added and removed. And doing an exhaust change shouldn't cause any concern...and keep that blinker fluid at the right level! :angel:

Comment

Working...
                              X