Problems w/ used Wranglers ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/ used Wranglers ?

I've toyed with the idea of getting a used Wrangler (with the 4.0L)

Maybe 10 years old ? I'm not looking at any particular one at the moment

What problems should I specifically look for on Wranglers ?

TIA

"Good luck on your project"

1970 Road Runner

I have a 2004 and love it. Changed the sway bar strut supports last Summer. Has just over 50,000 miles on it. 4.0 is a great engine but not good on gas mileage.

Comment

Watch for (among other things) wear on the pitman and steering linkage, esp. if aftermarket tires/lift. The proper way to do them was to add a longer steering arm, but many never got this treatment.

Look for offroad package ones if you can - the giveaway is usually a chrome front grille. These got the lower gears (3.55 or 3.2 if memory serves).

While you're at it, radiator core supports were famous for rusting in all years. The rest is what's visible -door hinges were notorious too.

There's also about a dozen variations on the transfer case - even among case types, depending on the year/options. The bosses are on all of them, but the speedo and other stuff position varies. Know the cases.

Comment

ive had a few of them. main thing like was said is the pitman arm and water in the axles if it had been off roaded and sunk in water like some of us like to do.

they really are hard to kill and great drivers
        Who's your daddy ?

Comment

thanks for the info

1970 Road Runner

Comment

I have wanted one for years. It is probably the only vehicle I would sell my Ram to get.

I test drove one a few years ago and it was HARD to take it back. Rhonda and I drove it to lunch and I parked it where I could stare at it.

It was a burnt orange color with a hard top.... Sorry, I was living in the past. LOL

Do you plan to off road with it or will it be a daily driver?
            In memory of Sgt. Frank Stephens Jr.
            Mission accomplished 12-05-2008

Support our soldiers www.patriotguard.org

Comment

For All the Wranglers we have worked on, most have been Owner Inflicted damage. The transmissions go bad, but it's usually from water being in them. U-joints from improper angles, Motor Mounts broken, etc.
              His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
              2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

check the frame. I had to replace the one on my 97, it was rusted out on the driver side, just ahead of the rear wheel arch; they are a boxed frame but they have holes on 3 sides; but none on the bottom for drainage. look in the wheelwells, you will see factory holes (transport tiedowns from when new I believe) and see how packed with scale they are, sometimes you can see the scale; if not, stick your finger in the hole and feel for scale. Aside from that, the only other complaint I have w/mine is the 3.07 gears, 5th gear is all but useless.
                I have had it since 2000, got it with 19K miles fresh lease return. I have taught both my wife and teenage son how to drive stick off of it.
                Back in 2000 when it was 3 years old, I paid more for it than most of the vehicles I have otherwise owned, put together. I bought it 3 months before they first did the 0% financing deals we see so common nowadays; had I known when I bought it what I do now, I would have waited the 3 months and bought a new one, with 5 years of financing on the then 3 year old Jeep it would have been actually cheaper, to have bought a then brand new one. I still own this Jeep currently with 126K on it; it will die with me as I will keep it til the wheels fall off due to what I paid for it relative to the rest of the vehicles I have owned in my lifetime. I will never again do the 5 years of payments on any vehicle.Never. This one was $400/month at that time! What 2.5 months of payments cost me on that Wrangler, bought my current Dakota.

Example of what I usually buy; 97 XJ Cherokee $3400 2 years ago. 94 Dakota $1000 5 months ago. 83 dodge 3/4 ton, $1250, 4 years ago. 91 and 93 Wranglers, wrecked, bought for $600 and built one outta 2, about 7 years ago.

That said, I have NEVER owned a brand new vehicle and I could win the Lottery tonite and still won't; in 95 I almost bought me a then brand new Dakota they would not order what I wanted. I didn't think of buying a new one at the time I bought the 97 Wrangler but could have, cheaper, than I paid for the 97. Truth is, there is NO vehicle manufactured new today that suits my fancy. None. Not one.
                And yes I totally agree, go for the 4.0 inline engine, the 4 banger is so underpowered it isnt funny; yet gas mileage is no better either. I had one in my '93 my brother's both have 2.5s in their Wranglers. though my younger brother had 240K on his (unrebuilt) '92, the last time I talked to him.
                This is personal choice but I like the ride of YJs better than the TJs (of which my 97 is) The 4 leaf spring suspension seems better also, as in less fighting when you have a stiff crosswind. the TJs have all-coil suspension.

Comment

thanks

I was thinking daily driver

1970 Road Runner

Comment

You can look for used and salvage jeep wrangler cars for sale here, it is a website where people can both buy a car and sell it, no matter if it is a new or used or salvage title one. So you can place an ad on this website to find customers for your car.

Comment

My brother in law has a 98 with 160k miles on it. Just now put a new clutch in it. I don't see how the original lasted so long because he's not that good with a stick lol. The aluminum bracket that holds all the accessories had to be replaced and that's about it for major work. It's mostly a daily driver but has been off road some but nothing would really abuse it. He still runs the stock wheels and tire size on it. He really likes it and has the money to buy a new one but loves this one.

Comment

Originally posted by RAM MAN View Post
                        thanks

I was thinking daily driver
                        yup that's what mine is... had it 10+ years now and hope to still have it in another 10....

Comment

Working...
                        X