Shelby charger Qs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volaredon,

Check out http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/forum.php for other front wheel drive mopar's... BTW there is a local club SDAC-CL that builds, collects and races those cars and would be very helpful finding parts http://www.sdac-chicago.org/

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by moparman18064 View Post
      They always had bad turbos and head gasket issues, along with the normal 2.2 wrist pin knock. They torque steer badly. The no spark issue is probably the hall effect plate in the distributor which is a five minute fix. As for the four banger dakotas, they pretty much have the same issues.
      typical answer from some one that doesn't own one or work on one. Yeah in the 80s it was pretty rough,,, 20+ years ago.

I've owned and raced them for 21 years now along with the V8s, they're more reliable and are more drivable daily with the right care. The turbo throws a lot of oxygen to the engine that V8s don't get, if your stupid with how you take care of one they'll melt down super fast. A TBI 2.2 / 2.5 is a 400,000 mile car with care. I've seen them at 750,000 miles but the K car part of the equation is long gone.

As for the Dakota's, they have a weak trans when you add boost. But mild 8 PSI and lower and you get mileage and torque. If you add boost also add the 8 1/4 rear end from a later truck. Don't run the Japanese POS turbo or you'll regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by glhs076 View Post
        typical answer from some one that doesn't own one or work on one. Yeah in the 80s it was pretty rough,,, 20+ years ago.

I've owned and raced them for 21 years now along with the V8s, they're more reliable and are more drivable daily with the right care. The turbo throws a lot of oxygen to the engine that V8s don't get, if your stupid with how you take care of one they'll melt down super fast. A TBI 2.2 / 2.5 is a 400,000 mile car with care. I've seen them at 750,000 miles but the K car part of the equation is long gone.

As for the Dakota's, they have a weak trans when you add boost. But mild 8 PSI and lower and you get mileage and torque. If you add boost also add the 8 1/4 rear end from a later truck. Don't run the Japanese POS turbo or you'll regret it.
        Most didn't see that care. For some reason it makes sense to most 4-banger owners to drive with head gaskets out.
        '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

nothing local available in a FWD Charger or Shadow; leaning hard towards a Dakota; not great, but should be better enough to make a difference and while small it is still a truck. I have my eye on a black reg cab shortbed one I'd rather have a V8/stick clubcab and 4WD but with the miles I am puttin on this sb/reg cab is the lightest combo for Dakotas to have come with.

Comment

An early Dakota 4 banger with a turbo added could be fun.
            The biggest issue we ever had with the 2.2/2.5 was the head gasket. Otherwise, they crack between the valves....but still work fine.
            A stuck waste gate is fun until around 3000 rpm when boost causes detonation.....and panic. (This isn't why the head gasket went...it was after)
            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

BS

Originally posted by gsmagnum View Post
              An early Dakota 4 banger with a turbo added could be fun.
              The biggest issue we ever had with the 2.2/2.5 was the head gasket. Otherwise, they crack between the valves....but still work fine.
              A stuck waste gate is fun until around 3000 rpm when boost causes detonation.....and panic. (This isn't why the head gasket went...it was after)
              If a 2.2 or 2.5 turbo ever blew a head gasket you can bet
              the head is cracked between the valves. you can send to me for repairs, or get it done local, but it's GONNA HAVR TO BE WELDED or replaced!!!!! Owned them, been there done that save yourself money, turn down the boost, put a new head on it. OR buy a kit from Ma Mopar including the head. Only use Garrett or AirResearch turbos. Mitsubishi's suck. Program your boost at no more than 16 psi on a stock auto trans car. good luck
              Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
              "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
              I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

As for the Dakota's, they have a weak trans when you add boost. But mild 8 PSI and lower and you get mileage and torque. If you add boost also add the 8 1/4 rear end from a later truck. Don't run the Japanese POS turbo or you'll it.
                I have both owned them and worked on them for Chrysler for many years through the 90's. I never said that I did not like the cars, just pointed out potential problems that they typically had. I would actually love to have a GLHS now. Yes, the technology has changed dramatically on head gaskets, etc., but it still is a car that has been out there for over twenty years.

Comment

I choose to differ

I have both owned them and worked on them for Chrysler for many years through the 90's. I never said that I did not like the cars, just pointed out potential problems that they typically had. I would actually love to have a GLHS now. Yes, the technology has changed dramatically on head gaskets, etc., but it still is a car that has been out there for over twenty years.
                  GLHS, opinions are an entitlement granted by the constitution, I tend to differ with your comments, except on one point, the Mitsubishi Turbos are genuinely trash, that's why I recommend Air Research or Garrett turbos. have a nice another 400k miles on yours like you stated. Also, you've made many comments/statements about racing, like the 21 years you just mentioned. But it seems you've never posted a picture of any of your projects, or maybe I just missed them. Might you share a few with us? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

How do you figure the A518, or 904 trans in or from a Dakota is weak? They put the current but more electronic version behind a Cummins diesel @ 850 lb/ft of torque, and behind 5.7L hemis too!
                  Last edited by hemisatellite; 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM.
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Originally posted by hemisatellite View Post
                    How do you figure the A518, or 904 trans in or from a Dakota is weak? They put the current but more electronic version behind a Cummins diesel @ 850 lb/ft of torque, and behind 5.7L hemis too!
                    The 518 and 904 aren't very weak transmissions. Some issues with the stock builds but mostly because of typical Dodge owners. (lol, you know the kind, those that give cheap deals for their junk they didn't keep up)

The 518 was used beefed behind the 5.9L R/Ts, HD10s, SRT10s, and Cummins diesels.

The trans behind 5.7s is the same as the one behind 4.7s and a version was adapted to Cummins'. It never saw use behind 10 cyls, and generally they struggle behind CTDs in terms of reliability. It's a 45RFE/545RFE and is nothing extraordinarily special. The CTD variant is the 68RFE.
                    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                      nothing local available in a FWD Charger or Shadow; leaning hard towards a Dakota; not great, but should be better enough to make a difference and while small it is still a truck. I have my eye on a black reg cab shortbed one I'd rather have a V8/stick clubcab and 4WD but with the miles I am puttin on this sb/reg cab is the lightest combo for Dakotas to have come with.
                      well I wound up gettin this 94 shortbed yesterday; a lil clearcoat issues but solid. It would defeat the purpose a bit but I know of a '95 318/stick Dakota that was just rolled a couple weeks ago, and according to my son they saved the drivetrain before they sent the shell to scrap. Wonder if they saved the pedals?

Comment

[QUOTE=hemisatellite;149469]GLHS, opinions are an entitlement granted by the constitution, I tend to differ with your comments, except on one point, the Mitsubishi Turbos are genuinely trash, that's why I recommend Air Research or Garrett turbos. have a nice another 400k miles on yours like you stated. Also, you've made many comments/statements about racing, like the 21 years you just mentioned. But it seems you've never posted a picture of any of your projects, or maybe I just missed them. Might you share a few with us? Thanks![\QUOTE]
                        me after my junior year in high school, sad 80s clothes

me after 20 years with my old white car

my GLHS

my 89 CSX, 11.5" 4 wheel vented disks, drill and slotted, adjustible Koni's, all poly bushings, 1 1/4" solid front sway bar, 1 1/8" solid rear bar, 300 ft and 320 lb rear springs that lower it 3/4". 16 lb 17 x 7.5 wheels, 225 40 17 Nitto 555s, 2.5L 655 head, 4" race plenum, big valves, R2+ roller cam, 3 bar, 46trim T04E, 3" exhaust, V mount IC, 72 lb injectors.

first FWD drag machine, 1990, 3.05 gears lame 14.5@98 MPH with log engine.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

http://www.cometic.com/domesticauto.aspx

A huge reason that later 4 bangers and even the new Hemi etc DON'T BLOW HEAD GASKETS is because they use MLS gaskets. That's muilti layer steel. They act like a spring between the head and block and deal with expansion and contraction. They come stock on the Neon 2.0 and SRT 4 engines, they didn't exist when the 2.2 was around. FWDperformance.com sells them and Cometic makes them, you can buy from Cometic but WOW lol.

For years the MP head gasket is the way to go. Mopar though when they make a change in there cars they like to dump the older ones. This is true except for the old Muscle cars. The 2.2 head gasket is now leaving, the 005 gasket is all but gone. The MLS gaskets though are the way to go anyway.

Working in a machine shop I've only seen 1 782 head that didn't have cracks between the valves. That head sucks, always did, but the cracks are meaningless to ANY ONE that knows these engines. Best way not to look at them is go big valves!!!!! Robs porting
                        http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/d/2763-1/rob3.JPG

"if" your looking for a lot of details on these cars I can show you a lot of threads on turbododge.com. My nick there is "the pope". It is hard to list is all here. As I love my old Mopars 40 or 20 years old I do a lot of poking around here too. But K car info is just really spread out to get this forum completely up to speed. There is a TON of work that has been done with the K cars, including adding the SRT 4 engine to the 2.2 trans etc. 2 good sites to read.

www.thedodgegarage.com, a serious cave man site, really out dated. But if you want to go fast with no money. This is the fastest way to get speed with a Mopar from nothing. This guy bought a car and built it for $3500 and went 10.41 @ 131 MPH. Showing truely the most inexpensive race car in the world to be the Mopar K.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/, on my favorites today, a MUST READ for anyone looking to work on our OBD 1 systems. Love this site, I have my own scanners etc but still pull it up on uncommon codes. I need to print the whole thing out before the owner closes it lol. But it has been around for years though...

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Those looking to build a driver, here is a great little write up I did on these cars. Simple and your going fast with little scare.
                        http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...uare-inch.html

Comment

Working...
                        X