Shelby charger Qs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelby charger Qs

I ask these Qs with a twisting,, wrenching stomach, as I watch gas prices rise as 18 years of working as a professional "wrench" did nothing to take away my hatred for front wheel drive vehicles.
    I have never owned a FWD and hoped to never have to.
    but since its been 35 years since Darts/Dusters were last built (thinking slant six here) and living in the road salt capital of the world, they are eaten up.
    I might have to stoop to the scourge of wrong wheel drive....

I remember these cars being "all over the place" for several years but not lately.
    Im looking at an 85 Shelby Charger on CL. Southern car w/no rust, been sitting, supposd fresh engine but bad turbo. Supposedly wont run b/c of the turbo issue. claimed 50 miles on engine rebuild.
    How hard will a back hatch window be to find?
    How hard will it be to find a good turbo?
    anything to "look out for" on these relics?
    Listed Price not bad for "these days" but more than non runner would have brought say 10 years ago.
    Peeled paint (typical) but supposed no rust; solid body more important than good paint right now,to me. Just thinking of finding a body that can be made "mechanically sound"; 25 years old + "beater" look =something most people will leave alone in parking lot.
    is there a source for reman turbos any more for these cars?
    What might I be gettin into? this aint no 4.0, no /6 or smallblock.
    I remember working on them in their day but its been a while.

also considering a Daytona w/a blown up turbo engine....(thinking I can get it cheap and go thru it so I know what mechanical shape its in) I have the summer to have it ready to run for Fall semester; if gas comes back to reality, I won't have to stoop to such a small car. (that's what I really hope happens)

Originally posted by volaredon
    I ask these Qs with a twisting,, wrenching stomach, as I watch gas prices rise as 18 years of working as a professional "wrench" did nothing to take away my hatred for front wheel drive vehicles.
    I have never owned a FWD and hoped to never have to.
    but since its been 35 years since Darts/Dusters were last built (thinking slant six here) and living in the road salt capital of the world, they are eaten up.
    I might have to stoop to the scourge of wrong wheel drive....

I remember these cars being "all over the place" for several years but not lately.
    Im looking at an 85 Shelby Charger on CL. Southern car w/no rust, been sitting, supposd fresh engine but bad turbo. Supposedly wont run b/c of the turbo issue. claimed 50 miles on engine rebuild.
    How hard will a back hatch window be to find?
    How hard will it be to find a good turbo?
    anything to "look out for" on these relics?
    Listed Price not bad for "these days" but more than non runner would have brought say 10 years ago.
    Peeled paint (typical) but supposed no rust; solid body more important than good paint right now,to me. Just thinking of finding a body that can be made "mechanically sound"; 25 years old + "beater" look =something most people will leave alone in parking lot.
    is there a source for reman turbos any more for these cars?
    What might I be gettin into? this aint no 4.0, no /6 or smallblock.
    I remember working on them in their day but its been a while.

also considering a Daytona w/a blown up turbo engine....(thinking I can get it cheap and go thru it so I know what mechanical shape its in) I have the summer to have it ready to run for Fall semester; if gas comes back to reality, I won't have to stoop to such a small car. (that's what I really hope happens)
    Reading your note, flags flew up everywhere!!! I'd tend to shy away from it, or if you can, buy it for almost nothing.
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

yeah thats what Im thinking; seller obviously has no clue; something about a cooked turbo and then they say no spark.... they want $750 OBO, I have a number in mind (CHEEP)
      Theres also a 90 Shelby Daytona close by with a blown motor; certainly not a $1200 car there either.
      theres nothin really that new that appeals to me. these dont either really but 16 MPG though pretty typical for me over the years, is really starting to HURT.
      and though I am considering a stoop to FWD, I refuse to consider a Honduh Hyundai Toyota etc..... and a 4-door anything is definitely out of the question

Though doggey as all Hell how did the 4 banger Dakotas do?

Comment

seach the web there some site for these cars
        Poorwhite boy

Comment

They always had bad turbos and head gasket issues, along with the normal 2.2 wrist pin knock. They torque steer badly. The no spark issue is probably the hall effect plate in the distributor which is a five minute fix. As for the four banger dakotas, they pretty much have the same issues.

Comment

yeah I remember all the MAP sensors, hall effects etc and teh wrist pin slop etc; but he has reciepts for a machine shop rebuild that sounds like the replaced EVERYTHING but the block which they bored out; he drove it til the spark issue and I guess he put the turbo back on knowing it was cashed (huh) figuring he'd get to that "later" and gave up on it when he lost spark; new computer because the voltage reg I guess went out, if the body's a sclean as he says it might be worth it for a beater; get the few little issues fixed and have a solid mechanically sound beater. He was saying something about restoring it on account of being a Shelby...

another Q about such cars; I probably would insure it for just liability but having a Turbo and being a "Shelby" would that mean a surcharge and expensive insurance?
            I have a local place I can deal with, in having the turbo overhauled. that actually is the least of my worries. I'm wanting to have a look see, at least, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by moparman18064 View Post
              They always had bad turbos and head gasket issues, along with the normal 2.2 wrist pin knock. They torque steer badly. The no spark issue is probably the hall effect plate in the distributor which is a five minute fix. As for the four banger dakotas, they pretty much have the same issues.

Torque steer.............I kinda forgot about that, I had a 87 Shelby Daytona......man....you really had to hold on to the wheel when the turbo got spun up. You could turn a corner with the torque steer.

And Don....I don't remember my insurance being any higher with it being a Shelby.
              The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Originally posted by 80 Aspen RT View Post
                Torque steer.............I kinda forgot about that, I had a 87 Shelby Daytona......man....you really had to hold on to the wheel when the turbo got spun up. You could turn a corner with the torque steer.

And Don....I don't remember my insurance being any higher with it being a Shelby.
                I had an 85 Laser turbo 5 speed, all the toys, whistles, buzzers and bells, t-tops too. It had torque steer from HELL once the turbo got all wound up. I had looked at a Daytona turbo Z with auto trans, insurance was the same. I traded the Laser in on a Fifth Ave. LOADED, found out the ladies liked them better.

Comment

If you look at a 1996 4 cylinder Dakota (last year for that body style) you get the more powerful AMC 2.5 instead of the Chrysler 2.5, though you lose an MPG or 2.
                  12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
                    If you look at a 1996 4 cylinder Dakota (last year for that body style) you get the more powerful AMC 2.5 instead of the Chrysler 2.5, though you lose an MPG or 2.
                    actually I would rather have something like a /6, 4 speed, Dart but availability 35 years after the fact and living in the rust belt took them away.

Comment

I talked to the guy last nite on the Shelby; it sounds like it is "mostly there" and road ready; a turbo overhaul (I have a guy here nearby that owns a turbo rebuild shop)
                      a dist pickup, and the worst of it I think will be finding a rear hatch; I huess he had a tree limb fall on the back and thats what took out the window; (he's had it inside/covered since) I asked about the window and I guess teh hatch itself is dented where it wont "take" a new window; I'm gonna go junkyard Scouting this afternoon and see if they might have an old charger/Turismo in the weeds before I go for a look see;
                      $750 OBO with a new engine, (supposedly has reciepts) clutch and more that just needs a lil finishing sounds better than $1200 for a 90 Turbo Daytona with a ventilated block; thats another CL "treasure" from the area.
                      I definitely want 2 door, Mopar, and something with at least a little bit of "fun" factor. though I STILL am not looking forward to the possibility of owning a wrong wheel drive.

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                        I talked to the guy last nite on the Shelby; it sounds like it is "mostly there" and road ready; a turbo overhaul (I have a guy here nearby that owns a turbo rebuild shop)
                        a dist pickup, and the worst of it I think will be finding a rear hatch; I huess he had a tree limb fall on the back and thats what took out the window; (he's had it inside/covered since) I asked about the window and I guess teh hatch itself is dented where it wont "take" a new window; I'm gonna go junkyard Scouting this afternoon and see if they might have an old charger/Turismo in the weeds before I go for a look see;
                        $750 OBO with a new engine, (supposedly has reciepts) clutch and more that just needs a lil finishing sounds better than $1200 for a 90 Turbo Daytona with a ventilated block; thats another CL "treasure" from the area.
                        I definitely want 2 door, Mopar, and something with at least a little bit of "fun" factor. though I STILL am not looking forward to the possibility of owning a wrong wheel drive.
                        My brother in law bought a 90 daytona turbo car a while back that he drove home and just needed some TLC, for $300. rod bearings, tune up, fix all the oil leaks, oil and anti freeze change, service the trans, a few junkyard interior parts, and 2 junkyard tires. 2 weks of driving THE HELL out of it, he turned it for $1400, had $600 in it total he said.

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                          actually I would rather have something like a /6, 4 speed, Dart but availability 35 years after the fact and living in the rust belt took them away.
                          Throwing that Magnum 318 in the Aspen as-is would have been good. That's something along the lines to think about. One of those in an earlier '80s car with a smoking knocking motor could get pretty good gas mileage, the 150hp and emissions stuff on them really hurt the mpg, take those away and you could get 25ish+. Could probably just swap a few things onto a roller 318 to get that mpg too. They need about 40-50 more HP to be able to cruise with those gears and not struggle at all. (not work hard or use so much gas)
                          '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Man, if you want something that's a little bit of fun and has some spunk, forget about a 4 banger Dakota! My 95 with a V6 is ok but mileage isn't that great and it only runs a 16.60 with a 3.55 rear and very short tires. Also, it weighs in at around 3350 without me in it with ac, tilt, ps, roll ups, short box and reg cab. I could get about the same mileage with my 92 V8 Dakota with 3.9 gears! I would imagine that the V8 took less throttle to make it do the same thing the V6 does in order to keep up with normal traffic....but the V8 truck was a ton more fun if you wanted to have some and it ran a 15.30 with street tires!

Comment

Originally posted by 270SE View Post
                              Throwing that Magnum 318 in the Aspen as-is would have been good. That's something along the lines to think about. One of those in an earlier '80s car with a smoking knocking motor could get pretty good gas mileage, the 150hp and emissions stuff on them really hurt the mpg, take those away and you could get 25ish+. Could probably just swap a few things onto a roller 318 to get that mpg too. They need about 40-50 more HP to be able to cruise with those gears and not struggle at all. (not work hard or use so much gas)
                              I have only ever had 1 318 nget 25-ish that was the one in my 1st car, 76 Charger with a 77 318 that had the original-to-the ca 360 intake and 2 bbl n it,

i have had them that have gotten 21-22 and also seemingly identical vehicles that struggled to get 13.

but putting the Magnum in the Volare is still in my ultimate plan. I need to get the bodywork done so I can reassemble it; right now, its like a life sized revell model kit; yeah, it's "that far" apart!
                              and yeah I know how dull a 4 banger Dakota will be; I had that same 4 banger in my other Wrangler as well as 2 brothers both currently with 4 banger Wranglers...... but unless gas prices do an about face, I might be in that same slow-boat...

Comment

Working...
                              X