wobble issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobble issue?

ok, I have almost no experience with fwd cars. my little 90 spirit is or was doing great. Before I post the trouble. In the last 2 years, the car got both new axles. I just out new tires on less than a month ago and had the front end aligned.
    Now this is my problem
    When I make a right turn over 20 mph. It feels like the front wheel is loose. Faster corners and it almost feels like the axle is bent?
    Normal driving. If I am doing about 35 mph or faster and let off the gas. The front end feels like it pulses. Almost like if you had a warped rotor. Only not as bad. The feeling is not bad but is noticeable. I am starting to feel a little pulsing in the brakes.
    I am going to replace the brakes and rotors tuesday. I need to figure this out quick because I am taking the car to watch the winter nationals friday. 200 miles away. the car drives fine other than the wobbly feeling when turning right. I will not take the car that far away with out knowing what it is or fixing it.
    Can any one offer any ideas what this might be from. Once I do the brakes I can rule that out. Gas is now up to 3.70 a gallon for the good stuff and climbing. If I can't fix this by thursday. I will be taking the fury friday. Not a cheap trip
    Thanks again

wobble

Do you hear any noise like a grinding or wheel bearing type noise when making the turns? The front wheels bearings (pressed on the hubs) on FWD models can and WILL do everything you have mentioned! It's generally caused by loosing or breaking a ground wire/braided strap from the motor to a body ground. Still doesn't make sense right? If ya loose that ground, all the engine electrical functions will look for the path of least resistance to ground. Don't ask me why, but ALL FWD vehicles generally find that ground to be thru the front wheel bearings.

It's easy to check, while off the ground, tires, brakes loose, remove the axle from the hub and see if there is ANY wobble in the hub, kinda how you'd check an older car ball joint, or if there is ANY kinda gritty feel when you rotate the hub no matter how slight, you need new ones. PS, they are sold as just bearing or bearing and hub, do yourself a favour and get the bearing and hub assembly! When all done, just as an extra measure of security, even if you DID NOT find a broken ground wire, get a piece of 10 ga. wire, put one end on a good ground source on the alternator, and then remove some paint anywhere close on the sheet metal or frame rail itself and connect the other end of the 10ga wire there. Hope this helps ya out even tho you getta go to the races and I don't.
    Last edited by hemisatellite; 02-20-2011, 06:39 PM.
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

The FWD cars sometime have an issue the rack working loose on the frame, either from worn bushings or loose bolts. If everything in the front end seems good, check the rack mounts.
      12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

no unusual noises. I jacked up the car and every thing is tight. When I do the brakes tuesday. I will remove the axle end. I will check the rack mounts as well. Every thing I can while it is apart. The car only has 116,000 miles on it. I will make a ground strap to. Even if it doesn't appear to need it. It will be one more thing I can rule out later.

Comment

The engine/ trans mounts can cause many problems on these cars also(very common). It could also be one of the inner cv joints, or separating belt in one of the tires

Comment

wobble

The steering rack CAN be an issue I agree, but pls DO NOT rule out the wheel bearing ball joint kinda test till you have it ALL apart w/o the axle in place. not trying to discredit anyone, all sugesstions help. just trying to do my best to help out.

Comment

That will be done as well. I listen to every ones opinions and will look at every thing. I am learning from all this as I go. So more info for me now is more I will know later. I am taking the car to a friends house today to have him look at it with me. My health limits how much I can do at one time. Today is a off day for me. he was a saab mechanic for 15 years and knows fwd cars good. I made a list of the items every one has told me to look for and check. I should know what the trouble is this afternoon. Or I hope. if not. I will be getting the fury ready for a road trip.

Comment

Well, I put new brakes and rotors on today. I wasn't feeling the greatest so I didn't get into checking any thing else my self. I took the car back to the shop I got the tires from and had them pull all of them and check the balance and look for any thing that could be wrong. Every thing checked out fine. They said the front end all felt tight. I had them rotate the tires to see if that would make a difference. Nope. I have felt a little shake "I guess would be the best word" in the car since I got it. Nothing that was out of what I would call the ordinary.
                After driving it for a while trying to figure out how to best describe it. I can't. I can say that between 30 and 40 mph, when letting off the gas and at a constant speed. You can feel the shake through the car. nothing in the steering wheel though. I put the car in neutral when I felt the shake and it does not go away till the speed drops. Same as if it was in gear. I went to a well respected front end shop today and am going to bring it in tomorrow morning for them to check out. This really has me baffled since every thing feels tight. I know I want to replace the front shocks because they are soft to me. I wouldn't say they are bad though. Nothing was said when I had my front end aligned last month. I guess I will wait and see what the shop says. Maybe a motor mount? Goofy FWD cars lol

Comment

ok, I took my car in and they said every thing looked good. They thought my tires were bad. You could see on with a light twist in it as if a slipped belt. A new set of tires and different brand and I am worse. I am supposed tp take it back tomorrow morning. I have the front up on stands now looking things over my self. Ok. With it on stands and running. The tire shows it is way out of round on the passenger side and both tires squigel like a snake. Not bad but very easy to see. I went back and we are going to put it on the rack in the morning so I can show him. Then we can start chasing things. Like put it on the balancer and run it to see if it shows the same on there. If needed. I will pull the tire off and run just the rim on the car ans see what it shows. I told him I will be happy to pay for his time if the tires are not bad. I will also have him fix any problem we find as well.
                  It is now at the point with these tires that you can feel the wobble over 25 mph. One thing to note.
                  It seems worse if you are letting off the gas or coasting. You really don't feel it when you are accelerating.
                  Last edited by Furios66; 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Furios66 View Post
                    ok, I took my car in and they said every thing looked good. They thought my tires were bad. You could see on with a light twist in it as if a slipped belt. A new set of tires and different brand and I am worse. I am supposed tp take it back tomorrow morning. I have the front up on stands now looking things over my self. Ok. With it on stands and running. The tire shows it is way out of round on the passenger side and both tires squigel like a snake. Not bad but very easy to see. I went back and we are going to put it on the rack in the morning so I can show him. Then we can start chasing things. Like put it on the balancer and run it to see if it shows the same on there. If needed. I will pull the tire off and run just the rim on the car ans see what it shows. I told him I will be happy to pay for his time if the tires are not bad. I will also have him fix any problem we find as well.
                    It is now at the point with these tires that you can feel the wobble over 25 mph. One thing to note.
                    It seems worse if you are letting off the gas or coasting. You really don't feel it when you are accelerating.
                    ok an up date. I took the car in to the shop. The tires were pulled and ran on the balancer. It shows them to be round. On the driver side. With the car on the rack and running in gear. The tire bounces making it look out of round. I was told every thing looked tight so it had to be a bad axle shaft. I had it replaced. It feels worse now. They are replacing the other side now. I talked with him about what if both were replaced and it did not fix it. He offered to put both of my old axles back in if that was the case. I wasn't going to make him do that. So we agreed that if this did not cure the problem. I would pay cost for the parts and half of the labor to be fair. That way we could rule out the axles. I am really wondering if it could be the shocks. I am going back in a few minutes with a few things to have checked before it came off the rack.
                    I would like the lower ball joints checked good, the lower strut mount bolts since it just had an alignment not long ago. Control arm bushings and the top strut mount bolts and the bolts for the rack.. He said the hubs looked good when he changed the axle. Any other things you can think of? I have to have this fixed by wednessday next week,
                    You can stiff feel the side to side wobble bad when letting off the gas at about 35 mph.
                    Do you think a weak shock cause any of this?
                    Last edited by Furios66; 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM.

Comment

ok an up date. I took the car in to the shop. The tires were pulled and ran on the balancer. It shows them to be round. On the driver side. With the car on the rack and running in gear. The tire bounces making it look out of round. I was told every thing looked tight so it had to be a bad axle shaft. I had it replaced. It feels worse now. They are replacing the other side now. I talked with him about what if both were replaced and it did not fix it. He offered to put both of my old axles back in if that was the case. I wasn't going to make him do that. So we agreed that if this did not cure the problem. I would pay cost for the parts and half of the labor to be fair. That way we could rule out the axles. I am really wondering if it could be the shocks. I am going back in a few minutes with a few things to have checked before it came off the rack.
                      I would like the lower ball joints checked good, the lower strut mount bolts since it just had an alignment not long ago. Control arm bushings and the top strut mount bolts and the bolts for the rack.. He said the hubs looked good when he changed the axle. Any other things you can think of? I have to have this fixed by wednessday next week,
                      You can stiff feel the side to side wobble bad when letting off the gas at about 35 mph.
                      Do you think a weak shock cause any of this?
                      It sure can! I had my t-bird break the bottom coil (typical for them) of the spring on the left front strut, rode fine but pulled BADLY to the right, new springs, problem solved.

Comment

Mine doesn't pull, but I hadn't thought about a bad spring it self. I get the car back today and would bet money it will be the same. if so. I am going to take the car back and once it quits raining again. I am going to have to check every thing me self. Even if it takes half the day. I am still pretty sure I have a tire issue. I also saw a few things when the car was up in the air I don't feel are right but the owner of the shop felt were normal. like only the driver side rim wobbeling a little like it would be bent or a bad tie rod or some thing. If I have to do things at home. I will do a short video clip of each issue i have. Then make one video out of it so I can show exactly what I see and maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I am not going to go on till I have better facts. So maybe sunday if it rains tomorrow too like they call for.
                        Thanks for the ideas. Seems it doesn't matter that much if it is front wheel drive or rear. things should act the same over all.

Comment

Mine doesn't pull, but I hadn't thought about a bad spring it self. I get the car back today and would bet money it will be the same. if so. I am going to take the car back and once it quits raining again. I am going to have to check every thing me self. Even if it takes half the day. I am still pretty sure I have a tire issue. I also saw a few things when the car was up in the air I don't feel are right but the owner of the shop felt were normal. like only the driver side rim wobbeling a little like it would be bent or a bad tie rod or some thing. If I have to do things at home. I will do a short video clip of each issue i have. Then make one video out of it so I can show exactly what I see and maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I am not going to go on till I have better facts. So maybe sunday if it rains tomorrow too like they call for.
                          Thanks for the ideas. Seems it doesn't matter that much if it is front wheel drive or rear. things should act the same over all.
                          UPDATE:
                          It turned out the tires were questionable. I did have a bad axle on the driver side. I went a head and replaced both. I was looking back and the paper work I have shows both axles were replaced 3 years ago. Not good since they were from napa auto. I would or do expect a little more from them.

Comment

NAPA

The ONLY time I buy ANYTHING from Napa is if they are the ONLY parts place that has what I need, and NEVER any kind of electrical part! If someone else can get it for me, even if it's on backorder, I'll wait for it unless it's a gotta have NOW kinda part.

Comment

Glad to hear you found the issue...
                              "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                              -Groucho Marx
                              Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
                              X