'08 Transmission out at 47K ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 Transmission out at 47K ???

I was just driving my 2008 / 3.8L around town here - in a 40 MPH zone. All of a sudden, the transmission seemed like it didn't want to shift into overdrive (at 40 mph, I was high revving at like 45000 RPMs

Then the check engine light came on (whats the trick to read the codes ?)

I pulled over and shut it off

no unusual smells, no leaks, no broken belt that I could see

Started up again. I turned afround to bring it home - first few shifts from a dead stop went OK, but when I got close to 40, it seemed to search for a gear and revved high again

I have just over 47K miles on the vehicle and its been serviced regularly ...

Since there is no dipstick to check - what's my options ?

What are your thoughts ? Transmission gone ???

"Good luck on your project"

1970 Road Runner

Originally posted by RAM MAN
    I was just driving my 2008 / 3.8L around town here - in a 40 MPH zone. All of a sudden, the transmission seemed like it didn't want to shift into overdrive (at 40 mph, I was high revving at like 45000 RPMs

Then the check engine light came on (whats the trick to read the codes ?)

I pulled over and shut it off

no unusual smells, no leaks, no broken belt that I could see

Started up again. I turned afround to bring it home - first few shifts from a dead stop went OK, but when I got close to 40, it seemed to search for a gear and revved high again

I have just over 47K miles on the vehicle and its been serviced regularly ...

Since there is no dipstick to check - what's my options ?

What are your thoughts ? Transmission gone ???

I hate to say it, but possibly yes, my bro-in-law was a mopar dealer trans tech for many years and has told me about their failure rate many times. there several tech bulletins and "service campaigns"( a recall without calling it a recall). consult your local dealer anbout possible drivetrain wty coverage, or you can try KBB.com, they many times will if you give them the VIN, will let you know about outstanding bulletins, campaigns, and recalls specific to your vehicle! FOR FREE!!! Good Luck
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

No dipstick is common anymore. GM does the same thing.
      "You're only as old as the women you feel."
      -Groucho Marx
      Moparless for now

Comment

No dip stick on my 08' R/T either. My bet is something electrical - unless you were having issues leading up to it? I absolutely hate these newer electronic trannies.

Comment

no dipstick

Originally posted by Stumper View Post
          No dip stick on my 08' R/T either. My bet is something electrical - unless you were having issues leading up to it? I absolutely hate these newer electronic trannies.
          No dipstick is nothing new. BMW and many other European cars have been doing it for years and usually require a "special" fluid that runs about $18 a liter, and is only availible from the dealer. In BMW cars, you fill to what you think is just below what is desired, then you start the car and run it until, with your temperature laser says the pan/case temp is at a certain temp, which is different between models, then remove the recessed "drain plug", and add fluid until it BARELY trickles out. BY THE WAY, I HAVE mentioned this before but most of you prolly already know it about neons and the like with manual trans. when draining and refilling, or replacing a manual trans, the fluid looks like dex/mercon, however IT IS NOT! If you DO use regular atf fluid in it, count on the spider and side gears blowing up in less than 200 miles violently enuf to blast a hole in the trans/diff case. Again, at my last check a few years back, the "mystery fluid", is ONLY availible from MOPAR dealers, and like BMW, isn't any too cheap. I hope this helped some of ya.

Comment

Another reason to keep the old cars going. I've had race cars without dip ped stick but that's it'

Comment

Take it to anyplace like Autozone and they can hook a code scanner up to it and read the codes for free. Unless it is slipping, it may not be done for. If it's simply not upshifting it could be something simple like a output speed sensor. When there is a fault detected, the transmission stays in second gear. You'll have second and reverse. My bet is something electronic and hopefully inexpensive since you don't mention any slipping just no shifting.
              12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

FYI this is a 6 speed transmission.
                It almost sounds like a GM FWD 4 speed transmission failure. Do you have reverse?

Sorry to hear it is giving you issues. This is definitely not something you needed. Do Mopar vans hate you? I seem to remember the other van you had met an odd demise.
                The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Electrical problems will trigger the light. Shutting it off reset the code, running it back through the gears triggered it again. Dead faults will trigger when you hit the key, "got to get it going codes" is the computer not liking something about the operation it just seen, Sounds like it's kicking into fail safe....

40MPH, ??? third gear pressure solenoid fried, Maybe input or output speed sensor not reading correctly....
                  His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                  2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Chrysler had issues with the earlier trannies, but the newer ones are much improved and I'd bet money (and I'm not a bettin' guy) that it's not internal

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

thanks for the responses- and yes, I do have reverse

going to try to drive it to the dealership on Monday, so I'll let you know what I find out

appreciate it

1970 Road Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
                        Electrical problems will trigger the light. Shutting it off reset the code, running it back through the gears triggered it again. Dead faults will trigger when you hit the key, "got to get it going codes" is the computer not liking something about the operation it just seen, Sounds like it's kicking into fail safe....

40MPH, ??? third gear pressure solenoid fried, Maybe input or output speed sensor not reading correctly....
                        THX Trannyman, I forgot to tell him about the trans module and "limp in mode"

Comment

Well, here's the verdict and its a bad one

On the way down to the dealership, the tranny slipped a couple of times in 3rd gear

It was whining so loud, you thought I would have been driving a Police car with the siren on ...

Dealer says 4th / 5th and 6th gears are gone and verified that it slips in third

(Service writer said they had a tranny software fix and they did that (and another recall while I was there - ) and I drove it out about 300 yards from the dealership, the check engine light came back on and it was slipping all over the place

U turn

The Service Manager said, sorry, looks like your transmission is shot .... 2nd owner so there is no warranty

Best guess to fix: around $4000 .....

So I got a rental (Caliber) and it -might- be done by Friday ....

until then I'll be at www.UnHappyCamper.com

of course, I got the story that it just depends on what all they find ... as soon as its fixed, I'll be traded it in ...

There was another '08 T&C Mini Van in the shop ... at 98K miles, they were getting ready to install the 2nd tranny on that particular vehicle

I just can't believe this ... I have NOT towed ANYTHING with it .. I have never hot rodded around (its a Mini Van, are you kidding me), and besides a keyboard Amp and my drumset, there hasn't been ANYTHING heavy to haul in it at all .... had all the normal servicing at factory recommended intervals

1970 Road Runner

Comment

$4K? Are they f'in nuts? $2100.00 to $2600.00 at my shop.
                            His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

LOL, I guess they do ... yeah the Ram Van burst into flames ....

yes, it is a 6spd

Reverse worked

1970 Road Runner

Comment

Working...
                              X