1993 Caravan trans repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Caravan trans repair question

this is my 1st front driving Mopar. just bought a 93 Caravan for a shop truck. it needs some trans work. its a 93, 3.0 V-6, 3 spd auto trans. the tranny shudders when taking off from a dead stop, slips a little when shifting. plus leaks around the frt seal. anybody have any input on fixing it. or should I just go get a used trans & be done with it? are these things known for trans issues? I kinda thought the 3spd trans was bullet proof in daily use situations.

I'm not up on FWD Mopars, either......but maybe Trannyman will pick this up soon!

Comment

I think I'm just gonna swap a trans into it. I need to to figure out what will interchange into it.

Comment

Any 3.0 equipped car or minivan with a 3 speed is your donor, the transmission has to be another 3 speed and only from behind the 3.0 engine.
        1) Such as any 1988 3.0 car or van
        2) After 1988 the minivan with the 3.0 could be had with the 3 speed you want or the 4 speed you don't want.
        3) The Dodge Spirit, Plymouth Acclaim and Chrysler LeBaron (sedan only) also used the 3.0 with both transmissions so if you find one with a 3 speed it would work.
        4) Even the 1996 and later 3 speed from the minivans will work, though there is a cutout for them for a crank sensor you can just plug up.
        12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

The 3spd is pretty durable but the symptoms you describe sounds like it's time for an overhaul, Used 3 speeds are usually dirt cheap. Like 250-300 cheap, usually not worth rebuilding unless you plan on keeping it forever.
          His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
          2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

thanks, I was planning to price it out both ways. but there are several of those transmissions in the Pick-N-Pull yards around me. So for about 60bucks including the converter. its be tuf to beat just swapping it. thanks to everybody for there thoughts & help.

Comment

Working...
            X