Widows foging up in a 90 spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widows foging up in a 90 spirit

ok, I just got this nice little 1990 Dodge spirit. Car is in excellent shape. My trouble is it has been raining here for the last week. The windows fog up when driving, and also when the car is just parked. It takes forever to get them to start un fogging with the defrosters. I mean I can sit there for 5 minutes and still not be able to see much. Plenty of air is being blown on the windshield. I have tried the defrost with heat and also cold, and with the vents set to out side. My fury will do the same but it only takes a minute and the windows are clear. Any ideas why or how I can fix this.
    Thanks

Make sure there isn't a small leak in the heater core. Check the carpet for any dampness.

Comment

Thanks. I did check that and it looks good. The heater core was replaced 2 years ago. It has finally stopped raining here today. I am going to check the whole in side and trunk to see if it is damp. I am just baffled because my fury does this too. I know it is because I need new seals for the doors and trunk. I just got the trunk seal. But once I kick the defroster on in it. You can watch the window start to clear right away. The spirit does almost nothing. I saw last night there is a small plastic strip on the dash near the window that is removable. I am going to pull it and see what is under there. I know the defrost hoses should be there. The rear window defrost very fast when I turn on the rear defrost. I am thinking maybe the windows need to be cleaned a few times too. Both owners of the car before me were smokers. Also, to be on the safe side. Maybe I will add a little stop leak. I will post up what I find or don't find.
      Thanks

Comment

Although I don't actually know the mechanics of it -- I'm under the understanding that for the last 20 or better years that defrosters use a combination of the heater and air conditioning directed at the windshield. You might have an AC issue.

Maybe someone knowing more about the mechanics of this can explain. It was explained to me once many years ago -- but I'm suffering from CRS
        Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
        Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
        Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

You may have some thing there. The A/C belt had been removed. I am going to put one back on today. He said it squeaked is why he removed it. I will get a belt on and re charge the system if needed. Thanks, I never would have thought of that

Comment

The AC is used so drier air blows on the glass making it clear quicker.
            I'd look at the tail light seals if the trunk is wet or the possibility the cowl is filling with water and not draining if the drains are blocked.
            12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Yup, these days the AC runs when on defroster....I used to push the ac and defrost buttons half way on my old 66 Belvedere to get that effect. Wasn't supposed to work that way back then but there were many things that were supposed to not happen with that car lol

Comment

A/C is recharged. We just got done with another 3 days of rain. This time. I let my sister borrow the car while I looked at hers. When I got it back. There was a nice green puddle on the passenger floor. So it looks like that was the problem. the person I got the car from just had it replaced 2 years ago. So some one messed up. Just thought I would post the up date.

Comment

You never know the quality of what they installed. It could have been Chinese junk (not the boat ).
                  The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                  Ronald Reagan

Comment

This time I am going to make sure it is the good stuff so I never have to do it again. "cross my fingers"

Comment

Make sure the drain isn't stopped up, bees or mud dobbers will stop the drain up and h2o leaks into the passenger compartment. Also, it should have a hose with a downturn on the tube for the h2o to exit downward. If the hose isn't on the tube and the tube isn't sealed at the firewall, the h2o will be blown back into the pass. compartment. The trucks are bad about the hose cracking and falling off and the carpet on the pass. side stays wet.
                      One who snoozes looses!
                      When the green light drops, the bull$hi!! stops! Or maybe the last yellow!
                      :eek: :p :cool:

Comment

I will check that for sure. I didn't do the change so the person that did it may have not checked that. I will see if i can get to it tomorrow to check it. Thanks

Comment

If you had anti freeze on the floor mat, it's the heater core or connection. As gsmagnum said, if it's cheap Chinese junk, 2 years could be it's limit. My brother had the exact same thing happen to his pickup. Two years later it was gone again.

Comment

Yes, if it's antifreeze it's the heater core.
                            One who snoozes looses!
                            When the green light drops, the bull$hi!! stops! Or maybe the last yellow!
                            :eek: :p :cool:

Comment

I have had my suspicions about it for a while. This told me I would have o replace it. I was thinking with the drain deal. I could get it to drain out side the car and not inside. I don't think it is as bad as it looked the other day either. I had forgot I had to remove my sisters umbrella off the floor before I saw the puddle. I am thinking it may have leaked a little on the floor and the wet umbrella made a big puddle of water. Bringing the green color to the surface. I drove for a few hours last night with only a few drips showing. I don't really loose water in the radiator either. Well, I have to add a little to the over flow every 3 weeks or so. I will be looking for a new heater core now. I wish they made them like the one in my fury. It should last forever. The original was still good when I pulled it a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X