Inner tie rods 03 Dodge Caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner tie rods 03 Dodge Caravan

I was going to change the inner tie rods on my daughters van, but see that Mopar claims they are not servicable. Moog does sell replacement parts. Anyone have any advice or experience with them. Thanks

Inners? Is this a full size van or a mini with rack and pinion?

Comment

It's a mini with rack and pinion. They call them inner tie rods. I call them sockets. Chrysler says they are not serviceable and yet you can by aftermarket parts. From what I could find, they are difficult to change but possible? I'm thinking maybe a rebuilt rack and pinion steering gear/box is the way to go?

Comment

On my 95 Dakota, the rack leaks but the book says it's not serviceable too and I can't find anything about if it is...no seal numbers, nada. Short of taking it apart (if possible), I just keep feeding with with heavier oil and try to park with the wheels straight so it leaks less. Had a manual rack laying around but dang if I remember what I did with it....

Comment

There's noise in the front end and a small leak too. I don't see anything in the outer tie rods but feel a clunk in the steering rack and think it's the inner sockets. I guess a remanufactured steering rack is the way to go. I can live with the leak, but I'm concerned about safety. I did one side strut support and one CV shaft. I hate working on FWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bblock View Post
            I hate working on FWD.
            THat makes two of us lol

Comment

not sure about the Caravan, but on the LH series cars (Intrepid, Concorde, 300m), the problem is the rubber bushing where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack. The bushings wear out over time and deteriorate to the point where you have a clunk when you turn the wheel and when you grab the inner tierod and jiggle it, you feel how it is loose at the inner end. Moog has a replacement two part bushing for that (15 bucks or thereabouts for the set). The OEM Mopar bushing is a single part, but a real pain to install (actually nearly impossible without special tool). The Moog part is a breeze...

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

never mind my above post. Just realized that the Caravan has a completely different steering gear set up
              1979 Magnum XE
              1987 Aries LE
              1998 Stratus ES
              2002 Intrepid RT

Comment

It is a completely different rack and ends than the LH.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

The Caravan rack is absolute garbage. Mine was changed twice in 30,000 mi.
                The van also ate 2 water pumps and a clock spring.
                If you are hearing clunking, it is probably the sway bar bushings or it could be the links.
                The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

This is typical of the dealer on a lot of parts. They will replace the rack and pinion rather than sell an inner tie rod. On my 1999 Dakota, they wanted to replace the entire upper control arm rather than replace the bushing. The aftermarket is a big help in these cases.
                    12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

I bought a manual (not mopar) and it doesn't even mention inner tie rods (sockets). But when I checked Rock Auto, they have them listed. Checked a few places and the most I can find is that they are very difficult to change as access is very limited.
                      Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Working...
                      X