"Factory" CONVERTIBLE Daytona???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Factory" CONVERTIBLE Daytona???

Okay, Someone in this area, or traveling through this area REALLY needs to investigate this.

85 dodge retractable daytona

Thought about doing this for years. First I've ever seen. So I ask.....is it real?

I'm interested even if it's not factory, but at least done well......not a hack job.

Anyone in this area? (Lancaster, Pottsville, Allentown) Or does anyone have friends in the area that can take a closer look???
    When seconds count, help is only MINUTES AWAY!! Arm thyself!!

Huh! never seen one of those before, made in florida?
    2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

Ive never heard of any factory prototype convertible Daytona. The ad calls it a retractable hard top, but it sure looks like a canvas top in the pics. Kinda looks like a 600/LeBaron top.

I've got a sneaky suspicion the guy either was lied to and doesn't know any better, or he's scammin'. Either way, it's kinda cool.

Hopefully, someone can find out more.

Comment

ya the fac. never made one it a custom job. funny i,ve seen more than one around here in ohio.it like my buddys lwb turbo mini van. there no listing of them but the 1 i found for him was o/e.the other hard one to find is the fac. turbo mini c/v van with a 5 speed. johnny at the bushing place had or has one

Comment

There was a small company in Bellingham, WA that was making convertibles out of new Daytonas and 2-door Omnis about that time, and dealers were selling them in the showroom. I looked over one new Omni at a dealership, and it was a pretty crude conversion.

FWIW, the K-car Chrysler convertibles were not factory made either. They were conversions done by an outside supplier contracted by Chrysler.
          My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GaryS View Post
            FWIW, the K-car Chrysler convertibles were not factory made either. They were conversions done by an outside supplier contracted by Chrysler.
            The first ones in 1982 were made by Cars and Concepts, but Chrysler soon brought the LeBaron production in-house, may have even been as early as 1983. Cars and Concepts also converted the Dodge Shadows and well as the Dakota to convertibles for Chrysler.

The key is to find the decal on the car. All the converted cars, be they convertibles or t-top cars will have a decal somewhere on them, usually on the driver's door, stating the car was modified by Cars and Concepts, American Sunroof, etc. I'd bet the Dayton was modified by a third party not associated with Chrysler.
            Last edited by DobaMark; 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM.
            12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Ah, the ad's gone.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Yup....CL doesn't leave them up forever and April was awhile ago....

Comment

I should've saved a copy of the ad. Next time.......

Comment

Daytona Convertible

I have been researching this topic for a while. I thought I would dredge this thread to see if any of you know any more.

It seems that AutoForm (famous for '82-86 Camaro/Firebird roadster convertibles was also responsible for these Daytona/Laser convertibles. They must have been quite rare, since information about them seems very lean.

Did anyone save photos of the car that started this thread? Did it look like the photos I am attaching?

Comment

I like it..
                      9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Originally posted by slimwhitman View Post

Did anyone save photos of the car that started this thread? Did it look like the photos I am attaching?
                        Slim, I didn't save a screenshot of that CL ad, but that IS just like the car in the ad, so it seems the mystery is solved.
                        Not sure if that car ever sold or not, but I've not seen it advertised since then so it's anyone's guess. If I was closer/had the time, I'd have gone to look at that car myself. I was hoping to get a hit from someone in the area that could go investigate for the rest of us. I believe it's about a 4 hour drive for me.........for a car that I would not have been able to buy to begin with. Too many others sitting around waiting on me.
                        Thanks for the info! That looks like it was a pretty in depth conversion. I wonder how they reinforced the chassis before cutting the top off.......and how much weight it added to the car.

GaryS.......yep, I do recall that fact. Guess what I really meant was "factory sanctioned" or "factory approved" then.

DobaMark.....I did NOT know that about the LeBarons though. I was thinking that they were all sourced elsewhere except the third generation cars, (the J-bodies), from '87-'95.

Comment

Working...
                        X