Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Plymouth Duster Race Car???

Hello everybody!

I'm looking to see if anybody has made a drag race car out of a 92' duster/Shadow/Sundance. I have seen a Shadow with a 340 in it years ago. I've been looking for a 70' Duster for a while with no luck. Then I found this 92' Duster complete for $200. The body is straight and has no rust. Not a bad start for a project. I'm thinking it would look great with a nice set of Mickeys in the rear. Any pictures would be great.
    Thanks KING

No. Walk away fast. This takes a lot of determination, isn't for the weak of heart and in the end you'll see that it would be so much easier to just get a 5th Avenue (look for a driveshaft and rearend), Diplomat, Fury, Aspen, Volare, Mirada, Cordoba, Magnum, Charger (again, rear wheel drive).

Starting with a real wheel drive car that isn't a Duster would be so much easier than that. A front wheel drive conversion would be so much harder than even hot rodding a Dakota or pre-'94 Ram.

That $200 may fool you, it'd be around $3-5k just to get it rear wheel drive.

So you know, I know of a solid Duster by me for $350. '73, guy has lots of body and mechanical parts that could go with it.
    Last edited by 270SE; 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM.
    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

My plane is to do a full tube chassis with struts and a 4-link. How stable will the car be with a short wheel base and a narrow car. There is a Dodge Neon that runs an all motor drag race series and goes low 7 second with no problems. I want to build a Mopar that is a little diffrent. I use to have a low 9 second Capri I built my self years ago. Car was a ton of fun! Thanks for your input.
      Thanks KING

Comment

Of course it can be stable but I think you would definitely want to play with it a little in the 10s-12s first.

The old cars will be a bit easier too because it isn't turning the entire wiring system and drivetrain on its head.

If you build a race car, it's a race car. The one thing that would be a lot more effort is converting to rear wheel drive, other than that, the effort would be about the same for most any car.
        '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

its not as hard as you think to get it into the 12s with the FWD and a turbo setup my 91 daytona shelby runs low 13s in the 1/4
          1983 Ram D250 Custom 318 4BBL 128k soon to be 440-4
          1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Sportswagon, 2.3L 5CYL 245k
          2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T 135k, 1977 Saab 99 EMS 82k

Comment

Originally posted by KING
            Hello everybody!

I'm looking to see if anybody has made a drag race car out of a 92' duster/Shadow/Sundance. I have seen a Shadow with a 340 in it years ago. I've been looking for a 70' Duster for a while with no luck. Then I found this 92' Duster complete for $200. The body is straight and has no rust. Not a bad start for a project. I'm thinking it would look great with a nice set of Mickeys in the rear. Any pictures would be great.
            Thanks KING

Here's a picture of a SuperStock GT/GA for you. I'm not positive but I believe it is powered by a 318. That class record the last time I looked was a 9.87 et & 133.91 mph held by a '93 Dodge. It takes a lot of work to convert to rwd. Recommended that if you do it have it professionally built. With a short wheelbase like this you want to make sure everything is top notch. Your car, I believe, would be more on the build style of a Super Gas or Super Comp car.

Comment

Mopar Perforamnce even sold a V8 kit for the FWD cars, though there's little chance of finding one now. Even with the kit, there was still a lot of fabrication work.
              12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Full tube frame....the P body will work just fine but will act like any other short wheel base car. If this isn't your first circus, you already know that short wb cars are not as forgiving as a longer wb car is on slick tracks....and welcome to the site!

Comment

Thanks everybody! That Superstock is sweet.
                  Here is a picture of the one I hope to get this weekend:

I might drive it for awhile. I worked at a Mopar dealer when these cars where brand new. They where fun to drive back then. This one needs a water pump, windshield and a muffler. I'm not sure how much life the old girl has left in her with 120,000 miles on the clock but, for $200 I can't go wrong. As far as he wheel base goes. My Capri was 100" and the Duster is 97'. 3" is still alot.
                  Thanks KING

Comment

We used to have an 87 Shadow 2 door and the wife used it for a grocery getter. We got it with 30k miles but it had been in a fire. Some guy decided to end it all and lit it up inside his garage and shut the doors. The back end was burned but the ice blue poly color of the car was a pretty dull black when we got it but a good cleaning, a new hatch, rear bumper cover and tire and some paint got it going and looking good again. At one point it ended up being the only decent car we had for a short time. My wife liked it but I'm not a big fan of small cars with no power lol. And they managed to save the guy but he got pretty screwed up from smoke inhalation....

Comment

Here it is! We picked it up last weekend. The body had a few more dings them we wanted but you can't complain for what we paid for it. The rug on the roof is glued on and is a custom MOHAWK! :ROFLMAO:
                      Don't ask! I have no clue what they where thinking. It runs pretty good for the miles it has.

My Dad and I are looking to build something different. We originally where going to do a full tube car but have decided to use the stock front end with some up grades and just back half it. We are going to make it a pro street car and racing it when we can. My Dad brought up the idea of just turning the V6 instead of using a V8. My question is: Is there any good automatic transmissions that will bolt to either a 3.0 or a 3.5 engine? Also any idea what a V8 weighs over a V6?

Thanks for the input so far! This should be a fun build.
                      Thanks KING

Comment

V8 doesn't weigh much more and in pro-street application, it is silly not to upgrade to the small block. You'll have to go RWD to do it affordably and then it is kind of senseless to do the RWD conversion and not even run a V8. The weight gain is certainly worth the base power gain. (you can build it to a lot more power for cheaper)

Comment

We just want something different. If it was me I'd go big block. Once I get the engine out to see what I have to work with. I'll decide what to do up front.
                          Thanks KING

Comment

Originally posted by KING View Post
                            We just want something different. If it was me I'd go big block. Once I get the engine out to see what I have to work with. I'll decide what to do up front.
                            Thanks KING
                            There's plenty of ways to be different building a small block that won't cost you extra time and money. Like if you were to build a date-correct 360 4 barrel up to snuff. That'd be pretty cool to have a Duster 360 4 barrel like the '74-'76s.

Comment

We are looking at the R5/P7 combo. Parts seen to at a decent price.
                              I want to stick with what I know but but it won't be Mopar powered!
                              Thanks Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X