Confirm This For Me.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm This For Me.....

95 Concorde, 3.5, shuts off very infrequently, starting to occur more frequently (entering driveway last night, stopped, restarted after about 2-3 minutes, then on the drive home, shut off for about 2 seconds then started back up (driving @ highway speeds). Did notice the tach dropped this episode.

Seems like years ago our 96 Neon did the same, it was the crank sensor.

Thoughts?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Have you done a diagnostic check for codes yet? On that model, you should be able to do the key cycle and see if it flashes anything. This self diagnostics will show a lot of things but not everything. For instance, when the computer started acting up on my Dakota, it pulled no codes but it was having occasional fits and ran really crappy and only showed code when it was running bad and it flashed ALL the codes lol. That pointed to a bad computer and the dealership replaced it when their hand held showed the same thing. Yours sounds like something a bit more minor and may show code or it may not. It's expensive to start throwing parts at it before doing a check. If the car doesn't show anything, take it to an auto parts store and see if they can pull any. They do it for free too. If it doesn't flash any codes....well, throwing parts at it might help. How many miles are on it? In my experience with this junk, if the crank sensor goes bad, it's bad all the time. Also, using aftermarket parts are usually hit and miss and you can't take them back if they don't help or if they're bad too. Their values are usually too wide but the oxygen sensor in my Dakota is aftermarket and has been doing ok....except for it's always borderline for NOX at inspection time. Oxygen sensor have anything to do with that? ElifIknow but the next time it dies, instead of waiting a few minutes for it to restart, do the key flip and see if there's any codes that's been set. Heck, do that now and see.

Comment

Thanks, this kinda just started really reoccuring just recently. Until the last couple days, I couldn't remember how long it'd been since doing it.

Comment

Have you done the key flip yet? Any codes?

Comment

My LHS with the 3.5 would do that it turned out to be the crank position sensor.
          2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

I bought both (cam & crank), and replacing them this weekend. This car's almost 20 years old, I know the orig. owner, none of this stuff has been replaced.

Comment

If the parts are hard to get to, buy them from Chrysler. The crank sensor on my daughter's PT is a rpita but the cam sensor is pretty easy. The first cam sensor didn't do anything for it but the second one from Chrysler did work. The car was throwing code for both....

Comment

My daughters 2004 grand cherokee did this very thing, would run fine, then quit and would start when it wanted to. Left her stranded a few times for a while till it decided to start again. It was the Crank sensor..

Comment

Careful buying aftermarket electric components. I had an issue with a GM vehicle, bought the aftermarket part and had issues with it. Once I bought the correct part from the dealer, the issue went away. This dealer is a Chrysler dealership as well as the GM side. I have been dealing with the parts manager for the past almost 30 years, and with the discount he gives me, the part was cheaper than the aftermarket from O'Reilly's.

It does sound like a crankshaft position sensor or related wiring.
                  "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                  -Groucho Marx
                  Moparless for now

Comment

Yup, it's always best to get those type of parts from the dealer but sometimes, it's not possible.....like after hours or on a Sunday but like I said, the crank sensor is a royal pain to get to so on that one, I'll wait until the dealer is open lol Last time it spit out the code pointing to the cam sensor, I replaced it with an O'Reillys part. They are about a mile from me (1/2 mile if you're a bird) and the dealer is about 12 miles and wasn't open.

Comment

That's my issue as well...Get the darn thing working and replace it with better when it fails again, (usually after dealership hours or when you're on the road...lol)

In my case, O'Reilly's is 2.5 miles away and the dealership is 8.
                      -Groucho Marx
                      Moparless for now

Comment

I've read where the PT Cruiser has a history of being hard on sensors....at least this one is. It's a 2003 GT Turbo 2.5 and so far, it's proving to be true. The cam sensor from the dealership lasted about a year and the one that came from O'Reillys has been on it for about that long now too. When I pulled the old dealer item off I compared it with the aftermarket one and they looked exactly alike with the only difference being the package they came in.

Comment

Sometimes the aftermarket is made by the manufacturer of the factory piece.
                          -Groucho Marx
                          Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
                          X