PT Cruiser Opinions? Issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT Cruiser Opinions? Issues?

It is time to pick up a car for my daughter. (to keep her out of ours!)
    What has everyone experienced with these little beasts? I like them, because the driver sits more like in a minivan than in a car. (She learned how to drive in a minivan.)
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
    Ronald Reagan

From people who have owed them, 15-18 mpg in town for gas mileage.

Comment

Pass it up... They have so many issues...my sister inlaw PT just about caught fire 2 weeks ago and her tranz went out last year.. Vibration also is an issue with it .. Has 92K for miles
      9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

My wife and daughter went out and bought one of those pieces of shit and now I have to work on the bastard. I hate it! Seems like there's always something wrong with it plus it's not real easy to work on. My wife and I looked at them when they first came out and I walked away from it right after opening the hood. Wait until you have to replace the crank sensor! You have to do it by feel because you sure can't see the damn thing....

Comment

I don't know much about them. I do know they have a bad reputation. It is cool you can get one in manual.
          In case you didn't know, their nickname is PT Bruiser, or my favorite, PT Loser.
          2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
          Far from stock

Comment

Like all cars, there are good and bad. My wife's daughter bought an ex-rental four years ago and it's been very good to her.
            My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

always hear bad things about them and they are ugly
              Who's your daddy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gageraid View Post
                I don't know much about them. I do know they have a bad reputation. It is cool you can get one in manual.
                In case you didn't know, their nickname is PT Bruiser, or my favorite, PT Loser.
                Pitiful Thing My daughter's is a Turbo GT. At least that's one good thing about it....

Comment

I've known several that have them, and they all like them, bought them used too. Interesting as I"ve read the previous replies and it seems opposite of my observations.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                    I've known several that have them, and they all like them, bought them used too. Interesting as I"ve read the previous replies and it seems opposite of my observations.
                    There's a lot of them on the road so you know there will be good ones. Best thing I can say is to get a Carfax on it before buying it. If the car has a history through the dealership, it should be in their database. I do know that certain years had problems with sensors going out and those things can add up. Also, aftermarket sensors don't seem to work very well either. I know right now my daughter's has a check engine light on and the code is pointing to the cat converter. Thing is, the miles are low for the age of the car....it's a 2003. I also had to replace the front wheel bearings not too long ago along with the cam sensor AND crank sensor. The cam sensor is pretty easy once you remove the battery but to get the battery out, you have to remove the air filter box and related junk. Also replaced the rack and pinion recently. The car looked like someone took care of it and wasn't abused. The paint is good and the body not all banged up.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                      We had one as a shop car and my Dad drove one as his grocery getter for a couple of years. While they definitely weren't a top quality car, neither of them gave us troubles. Cheap transportation... My sister had the loaded out Turbo model. It broke all the time and went thru an engine and a couple of turbo's. I would stick to the N/A versions.
                      His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

I had one and will never own another. as stated always something going wrong. I sold it before the trans quit and I am sure it did soon afterwords. it was an 02.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                          There's a lot of them on the road so you know there will be good ones. Best thing I can say is to get a Carfax on it before buying it. If the car has a history through the dealership, it should be in their database. I do know that certain years had problems with sensors going out and those things can add up. Also, aftermarket sensors don't seem to work very well either. I know right now my daughter's has a check engine light on and the code is pointing to the cat converter. Thing is, the miles are low for the age of the car....it's a 2003. I also had to replace the front wheel bearings not too long ago along with the cam sensor AND crank sensor. The cam sensor is pretty easy once you remove the battery but to get the battery out, you have to remove the air filter box and related junk. Also replaced the rack and pinion recently. The car looked like someone took care of it and wasn't abused. The paint is good and the body not all banged up.
                          Another good service that tends to go around with the auctions and dealers is Autocheck. If something's kinda hinky with it and it has a history of being bought/sold quickly- probably going to need fixing soon. That's main draw is that it goes into detail on the auction, dealer, registration, and accident history. Sometimes a wreck isn't on that or carfax- I've even seen a case where a salvage title didn't show on one but showed on the other. Single vehicle incidents or incidents with commonly owned vehicles often aren't reported, and you can see some serious unreported damage on a vehicle, or minor reported damage. States with inspection are a good thing in a car's history- basically impossible to completely fraudulently represent the miles in a way that isn't obvious. Miles are recorded at inspection- which can be the reason a car is True Miles Unknown- since a misrecording will show as discrepancy.

There are good ones for sure. Basically a bigger, more comfortable Neon. Mass produced vehicles have good ones and bad ones. For some reason, often the sorriest parts collect on the same unlucky car when they're built with a Chrysler product though.
                          '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                            Pitiful Thing My daughter's is a Turbo GT. At least that's one good thing about it....
                            The one person I knew that had one had the turbo one I believe.
                            Come to think of it, someone else I know had one a few years back. Never heard him say anything good about it.
                            2008 Black Jeep Liberty 4x4
                            Far from stock

Comment

I remember when the first 2000 models were being sold...all those people fighting to get one. Lots could not keep them more than 5 min. Dealerships adding like 5 grand to the sticker price ...

At Garlits show back in 05 I saw my first PT Woody... I thought I would puke.. That guy had surf boards...3 of them...and had to be like 20 stuffed animals and a bashful doll.. What is the issue with these people? They know the car looks like shit so they have to mask the ugly with cute-see little stuffed creatures thinking it will distract the judge long enough to have him miss something forgotten...and all for a plastic/wood doorstop...
                              If I had a PT...and was at a show...I would have to have a hot looking gal walking around it wiping it down all day and add another just at judging time... That's the way to win those trophy doorstops with a PT
                              9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

Working...
                              X