what to watch for/dismantling 2.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to watch for/dismantling 2.7

I am about to tear into my 1st intrepid 2.7, this a 2002 model. 112K, all kinds of racket from beneath the timing cover last summer, the car owner tlook it home (3 miles from me) and parked it, now wont start,.Is the timing setup like the 2.6s of old? With what i have heard about chains and plastic guides on these that is what I envision before I get into it.
    If it is too much to fix dollar wise, hassle wise or "it ain't worth fixing a 2.7" wise,, we may be looking to do a 3.5 swap.

As long as the noise was beneath the timing cover and not in the head area, it might be fixable.
    These engines have hydraulic chain tensioners and usually they cause valve to piston contact when the oil passages sludge up.

I think you are going to have to take things apart to see just what to do. If it is full of sludge, it is going to need to be baked.
    It might be better to do a 3.5 conversion if you can find a donor.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'd swap in a 3.5 anyways. Never did like th 2 7's. Imo, the 3.5 is a much better engine.

Comment

2.7-3.5

Been there done it with the Sebring I bought for my daughter when she graduated college. The 2.7 motors ARE kinda like you mentioned about the old Mitsu 2.6 motors. The only diff is one is a 4 cyl, the other is a 6 cyl, the similarities? BOTH ARE JUNK! go to a local salvage yard, find a 3.5L in close to the same year wish and as low miles as you can. Buy it as a "drop out". Have them unbolt the k frame, engine AND trans, unhook all the wiring harness plugs, get the engine wiring harness with it, and the body wiring harness and engine and trans computers with it too. It ain't gonna be cheap that way, but you'll have EVERYTHING you need for the swap. AND it's not near as hard doing it that way even tho it sounds like a lotta work. It's all unplug, drop, slide the old out, the new in, raise it up and reconnect all the plugs. DONE!

Good luck, if any questions along the way, somebody here at the style will be more than happy to help ya out I'm sure!
        Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
        "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
        I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

I had an 81 Sapporo with the Mitsubishi 2.6 5-speed, and I liked the car and thought the motor was strong for the era. Sure beat the Hell out of American four bangers of the day like the 2.6 Pinto motor.

Then again, I had a 83 Turbo Coupe 5-speed and it would whip my brothers ass in his 305HO Monte Carlo SS
          Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
          Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
          Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
            I had an 81 Sapporo with the Mitsubishi 2.6 5-speed, and I liked the car and thought the motor was strong for the era. Sure beat the Hell out of American four bangers of the day like the 2.6 Pinto motor.

Then again, I had a 83 Turbo Coupe 5-speed and it would whip my brothers ass in his 305HO Monte Carlo SS
            Ya know in the D 50s mighty max, Conquest etc where the 2.6 was in a RWD application with a mechanical driven fan they had nowhere near the problems as the same engine in a wrong wheel drive configuration with an electric fan.

Anyway I got as far as I can with this POS 2.7. I need the puller tool to pull the damper, its different from any other one I have done there are no threads to screw a regular puller into like our smallblocks... I have to wait til tomorrow when my dealer buddy gets home from work so I cqn borrow his;
            My hands are tied as far as how this car is to be fixed; I am doing it for somebody else. If it were mine then I would be doing the 3,5 swap/ if they decide to bail and it becomes mine then that may be a different story.
            The owner did go get a 3.2 from a yard but also thought the car was a 2000; he got a 2000 3.2; I then found out its an 02 and the electronics and so much more changed between 01 and 02. I told him to get all the accessories with the replacement engine; when it came in the bill wound up being $200 higher than the yard quoted originally and they wound up with a 175K mile 3.2 with NO accessories so I am glad that it had to go back. I have been researching on the computer at other sites what is needed to do a 2.7>3.5 swap.
            Personally I hate intrepids as they are too dam low to the ground I have trouble getting out I almost gotta roll out of my mom's 98.
            My back was hurtin trying to bend over and take the front of the motor apart, .... I have never worked on a car where I had to sit down on my Mechanics chair to be able to work on the engine while in the car!

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

another thing; the Intrepid has been wrecked paint is peeling from beneath the hood showing the hoods original color; alot of missing hardware and get this; the AC lines I found Just laying next to the condenser unhooked when I went to pull the radiator.
            the Radiator? Empty. This car has been sitting in a garage untouched at least 8-10 months since the guy 1st asked me my opinion on the right way to fix it.... I told him then that the front of the motor had to come apart, he took it home and parked it, and has been calling me about once a week for the last 2 months to see if I could do something with it; he finally got some $$$ (the guys in his 50s, its his sister's car, he's just trying to help her out)

I see alot of Intrepids on CL with either a bad or a missing motor for $800-ish; I went there looking for a replacement motor

Comment

We had a 95 ES and I kinda liked it as far as FWD's go. When they changed the body style later on, that's when I quit liking them. Ours had the 3.5 and it ran pretty dang good for a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                We had a 95 ES and I kinda liked it as far as FWD's go. When they changed the body style later on, that's when I quit liking them. Ours had the 3.5 and it ran pretty dang good for a 6.
                that 3.5 isnt the same as what would be in the newer versions of teh intrepid; I actually like the newer body style better as far as looks. I just don't like having to roll out of them, I remember people complaining about Corvettes being hard to get into/out of; these things are worse, in that department. I don't get it; My Ma has her 98, and while I have zero problems getting into or out of my Cherokee or my Wrangler, it is something to watch my Ma try; she has no trouble with the Intrepid; I am just opposite. She hates having to step over the jamb and down; they just don't make a "car" worth a damn any more. makes me wish even more they'd bring back the mid/late 70s 2 door RWD "mid size" which are boats compared to todays full size. IMHO these were the perfect sized cars; Mopar B bodies, (Dare I say it) Torino's malibu's, etc.... Mopar A bodies and their competiton from the "other 2" would be a close 2nd
                18 years of pro wrenhing did nothing to temper my hatred for front wheel drive go carts which continue to get cheaper-made, (not sticker price though) and keep shrinking. I even got better mileage from my Cordobas, B van and my current 78 fury than anything else I currently have! They were all carbd v8s and everything I have now (besides the Fury of course) is FI 6 bangers.
                They will have to outlaw trucks, full sized vans and jeeps to prevent me from buying them.....

I found a 2.7 longblock on CL a couple hours away I am waiting for a response regarding price. like I said this Intrepid is NOT my car, so I gotta do what the owner wants.

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                  Ya know in the D 50s mighty max, Conquest etc where the 2.6 was in a RWD application with a mechanical driven fan they had nowhere near the problems as the same engine in a wrong wheel drive configuration with an electric fan.

Anyway I got as far as I can with this POS 2.7. I need the puller tool to pull the damper, its different from any other one I have done there are no threads to screw a regular puller into like our smallblocks... I have to wait til tomorrow when my dealer buddy gets home from work so I cqn borrow his;
                  My hands are tied as far as how this car is to be fixed; I am doing it for somebody else. If it were mine then I would be doing the 3,5 swap/ if they decide to bail and it becomes mine then that may be a different story.
                  The owner did go get a 3.2 from a yard but also thought the car was a 2000; he got a 2000 3.2; I then found out its an 02 and the electronics and so much more changed between 01 and 02. I told him to get all the accessories with the replacement engine; when it came in the bill wound up being $200 higher than the yard quoted originally and they wound up with a 175K mile 3.2 with NO accessories so I am glad that it had to go back. I have been researching on the computer at other sites what is needed to do a 2.7>3.5 swap.
                  Personally I hate intrepids as they are too dam low to the ground I have trouble getting out I almost gotta roll out of my mom's 98.
                  My back was hurtin trying to bend over and take the front of the motor apart, .... I have never worked on a car where I had to sit down on my Mechanics chair to be able to work on the engine while in the car!

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

another thing; the Intrepid has been wrecked paint is peeling from beneath the hood showing the hoods original color; alot of missing hardware and get this; the AC lines I found Just laying next to the condenser unhooked when I went to pull the radiator.
                  the Radiator? Empty. This car has been sitting in a garage untouched at least 8-10 months since the guy 1st asked me my opinion on the right way to fix it.... I told him then that the front of the motor had to come apart, he took it home and parked it, and has been calling me about once a week for the last 2 months to see if I could do something with it; he finally got some $$$ (the guys in his 50s, its his sister's car, he's just trying to help her out)

I see alot of Intrepids on CL with either a bad or a missing motor for $800-ish; I went there looking for a replacement motor

O'Reillys might have the tool that they loan for a deposit. I recently borrowed a tool to remove a U-Joint. Had to give them a $140 deposit -- but it made a 2-minute job (with an air wrench) out of R&R
                  Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                  Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                  Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                    that 3.5 isnt the same as what would be in the newer versions of teh intrepid; I actually like the newer body style better as far as looks. I just don't like having to roll out of them, I remember people complaining about Corvettes being hard to get into/out of; these things are worse, in that department. I don't get it; My Ma has her 98, and while I have zero problems getting into or out of my Cherokee or my Wrangler, it is something to watch my Ma try; she has no trouble with the Intrepid; I am just opposite. She hates having to step over the jamb and down; they just don't make a "car" worth a damn any more. makes me wish even more they'd bring back the mid/late 70s 2 door RWD "mid size" which are boats compared to todays full size. IMHO these were the perfect sized cars; Mopar B bodies, (Dare I say it) Torino's malibu's, etc.... Mopar A bodies and their competiton from the "other 2" would be a close 2nd
                    18 years of pro wrenhing did nothing to temper my hatred for front wheel drive go carts which continue to get cheaper-made, (not sticker price though) and keep shrinking. I even got better mileage from my Cordobas, B van and my current 78 fury than anything else I currently have! They were all carbd v8s and everything I have now (besides the Fury of course) is FI 6 bangers.
                    They will have to outlaw trucks, full sized vans and jeeps to prevent me from buying them.....

I found a 2.7 longblock on CL a couple hours away I am waiting for a response regarding price. like I said this Intrepid is NOT my car, so I gotta do what the owner wants.
                    The older Intrepid was easier to get in and out of (for me) than the newer body styles. We used to do a lot of driving for local dealers and we got to drive them all and when the body change was made, they laid the windshield angle down even more and that's when I started banging my head on the A pillar getting in and out. And what did they do to the 3.5? I know the same engine was put into the Prowler...I thought....

Comment

3.5 swap

A buddy of mine in Ohio that owns a salvage yard has a 3.5 drop out, (unbolt the struts at the top, the k frame, and drop it out WITH engine harness and engine to body harness all the way to the ECM, ECM included, if you're interested. Sorry I couldn't hear ya on the fone a minute ago. call me later if ya want, or call them direct, 800-252-4712, John or Eric. I,ve known Eric since 1995 and he has NEVER sent me junk! always top quality stuff. It's out of an 01 Chrysler 300M. Curt
                      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Curt, I heard you when you called just fine, but cell service IS spotty at best where I am working, I gotta go past BFE to get to it.... IDK if I will call tonite, we gotta be there an hour earlier than normal (that means being up at 4:30 AM to be there by 6) as 5 of us are going to peoria for our Pesticide operator license and we gotta be in peoria by 8.... it's about an hour and 45 from us.
                        I'll try tomorrow;
                        I may well be interested in that dropout engine; can you PM me details like year, price and mileage on it all? also where in Ohio are we talking? If they are open saturdays I may be up for it.
                        and BK thanks for the heads up on that tool from the parts store idea, but I have that covered; I have a buddy that works at the Dealership, he's bringing me one home from his work today!
                        Last edited by volaredon; 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

well after alot of begging and badgering from the car owner (I DID NOT want to work on this POS from the get go) between bouts of telling me " have no $$$" (he supposedly does now) and arm twisting I have 1 head off and the front of the motor apart; it is VERY clean inside; (I saw a couple of partially ripped apart 2.7s at the boneyard last weekend; I have NEVER seen any engines as sludged as those in the yard were)
                          I got 1 head off today will pull the other tomorrow to send to the machine shop for inspection; if they come back "good" I'm gonna be puttin this POS 2.7 back together;
                          the T chain sprocket seperated itself from the waterpump that's what all the racket was. the oil's overfull and the lifter valley's full of antifreeze. so we figgered we better pull the heads and replace the gaskets at least; along with a waterpump and all the chains etc;; I have been looking on FeeBay for the parts to put this car back together; man, do the prices vary widely!!! I think Im gonna check withg my deaper buddy to see what parts he may have collecting dust for this piece o' crap.
                          I have another buddy with 2 Olds' both 3.1s) one needs head gaskets the other has blown intake gaskets Why do I seem to get the "no money" people? this guys been safter me for a couple years "When he gets some money" for me to fix both of them;
                          man I wanna get goin on my 5 speed swap on my new 318 Clubcab Dakota.... instead of working on these POS' and then resuscitate my old Volare project this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X