1996 lhs hard start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 lhs hard start

My father has a 1996 lhs with 50,000 miles on it. In the last two years it has had new lower and upper intake gaskets, fuel pressure regulator and iac. It use to miss at idle and idle to slow before those repairs wer done at a chrysler dealer. Over the last few weeks it has got to where it starts hard or have to give it a litttle gas with foot to get to fire up. Has anyone ran into this problem out of the 3.5 v-6 before i get to deep into it. Other than that runs fine after started. Thanks
    1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Maybe a throttle position sensor.

Comment

Is it showing any codes? With a 96, you should be able to do the key flip deal and see....

Comment

With that few miles 2 things come to mid...Dirty Throttle body and/or injectors.
        "You're only as old as the women you feel."
        -Groucho Marx
        Moparless for now

Comment

I'll chime in with my LH experience. I have a 98 Intrepid that I swapped in a 3.5 HO from a 99 LHS. Your 96 is very similar. Anyway, mine would crank for a long time before it would start, worse when it had been warmed up and shut down for 10-15 minutes. Replaced the fuel pump and it starts right up like it should. The check valve that holds the pressure on the fuel rails when not running is located in the fuel pump. It is not uncommon for the check valve to not do its job. Not sure about the LHS, but the 96 Intrepid has a access plate in the trunk to get to the pump, much nicer than having to drop the tank.
          Last edited by MNBiker; 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MNBiker View Post
            I'll chime in with my LH experience. I have a 98 Intrepid that I swapped in a 3.5 HO from a 99 LHS. Your 96 is very similar. Anyway, mine would crank for a long time before it would start, worse when it had been warmed up and shut down for 10-15 minutes. Replaced the fuel pump and it starts right up like it should. The check valve that holds the pressure on the fuel rails when not running is located in the fuel pump. It is not uncommon for the check valve to not do its job. Not sure about the LHS, but the 96 Intrepid has a access plate in the trunk to get to the pump, much nicer than having to drop the tank.
            I was thinking the same thing. You can put a gauge on the fuel rail and check the PSI running and check to see how fast the PSI drops off when you shut it down. The regulator in my 95 Dakota does this. If I cycle the key twice, it'll run the pump twice. If you listen in a quiet area, you should be able to hear the pump run for a couple of seconds and stop. Let off the key and do it again and see if the PSI climbs more. The pump won't run a 3rd time unless you do a start and the pump won't run until the engine starts. I wanted to test how much the pump would pressure up with a continuous run with the engine off so I opened up the relay and held the contacts closed. I also use it to pressure up the system when it's been sitting for several days. It starts right up that way.

Comment

Thanks for the advise will check fuel pressure tomorrow and see what it is with key on engine off and engien running. No codes . Yes it has a access in the trunk. Its funny dad got rid of the 94 concord before this lhs and it had 367,000 miles on it and nevery had problems haha and this low mileage lhs has been a little of this and that told him that is the way it goes.
              1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Comment

Working...
              X