59 Dodge Coronet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Dodge Coronet

I just got my 59 Coronet 2Dr Hardtop home from the auction where I bought it on Saturday. It has been in a farm garage since 2005 and has 67,xxx miles on it. It is all original with a 326 poly and a powerflite. I hope to have all the fluids changes and get it started next week. Any info on good parts to put on a poly.??

Thanks
    Plmfast

There have been very few performance parts available for Poly engines beyond what Chrysler originally made, but recently Poly guru Gary Pavlovich and Chrysler Power have designed a modern 4-bbl intake that is supposed to be available in limited numbers before the end of July. They are also offering an aluminum valve cover that should alleviate the leaky cover issue. They had a good pre-production price offer that I took advantage of, so I'm looking forward to seeing the completed product. I'm told they are also working on an aluminum head, but haven't seen much info about it yet.
    My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check out the new manifold. I am also looking at the TTI headers but they do not mention anything about the fit on anything older than a 62 B body. Any thoughts??

Comment

I purchased a 1959 Dodge in 1962, had Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins work the dist., carb. and a value job along with one of his super tunes. Probably the least expensive street/race car I have ever owned. Ran 4.10 gears with small Altas tires for racing and largest tire that would fit for the street to get gas mileage.

1959 Dodge D500 raced 1962-1964 H/SA-I/SA
        Former AHRA/NHRA MPH (11) times, ET (9) times
        Unbeaten in 3 years of racing in either class.
        Mural Persuasion
        "OFFER THE GENTLEMAN A CIGAR, IF HE REFUSES, SHOOT THE SONOFABITCH".
        Mark Twain 1891

Comment

What Gary S said. Get some Chrysler Power Magazines.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Thinking about your 59 Coronet, check what "Stock Eliminator Class" it would run in. You have a nice advantage with the Powerflite three speed over the GM cars and the Ford products with their two speed automatics. I use to pull several car lengths before shifting into 2nd gear and another car length in that gear, they would be coming on pretty strong at the end of the quarter closing to with in a car length. A win is a win with these neat old cars, great to win over the Chevies was the best part.
            Mural Persuasion
            Mark Twain 1891

Comment

Originally posted by projectmopar View Post
              Thinking about your 59 Coronet, check what "Stock Eliminator Class" it would run in. You have a nice advantage with the Powerflite three speed over the GM cars and the Ford products with their two speed automatics. I use to pull several car lengths before shifting into 2nd gear and another car length in that gear, they would be coming on pretty strong at the end of the quarter closing to with in a car length. A win is a win with these neat old cars, great to win over the Chevies was the best part.
              If I remember correctly, a 2-speed PowerFlite was the standard automatic transmission in '59, the 3-speed TorqueFlite was still optional.

I know TTI makes headers for the later Poly, but I'm not sure they fit the early body-on-frame cars, at least they didn't have them for my '56 the last time I checked.
              Last edited by GaryS; 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM.
              My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

Your correct, I had the TorqueFlite. The PowerFlite wasn't equal to the other two speed transmissions (GM and Ford) mainly because of a lack of performance parts that the others enjoyed.
                Mural Persuasion
                Mark Twain 1891

Comment

Intake
                  http://chryslerpower.com/webstore/Po...-SS-X-Manifold

info
                  http://victorylibrary.com/POLY.htm

Comment

Cool cars. I had a 58 Dodge Custom Royal (Canadian car) 354 Poly. Put a 4bbl on it and it was fast for a big car. Loved that car. 3 speed. Still have the 4bbl intake somewhere.

Comment

I had a '57 Plymouth Savoy with the Poly 318 and two barrel carb. A friend wrecked his mothers '57 Fury with a Poly 318 and two four barrel carb setup. Before the insurance company settled and then picked up the car we swapped motors - repaint on both motors and swapped intakes. Got a better, newer, lower mileage motor but now with a two barrel carb. We drilled out the jets and put in 4.10 gears, claimed it was a stock Poly 318 with two barrel carb. That car would really move for its size, the tech guys knew nothing about Mopar Poly 318 motors. Talk about cheat, we were right up their with the Chevy guys for cheating back in the day. My wife would drive it and really piss off the other racers having a blonde put them down.
                      Mural Persuasion
                      Mark Twain 1891

Comment

Working...
                      X