Whiplash cams, anybody tried one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiplash cams, anybody tried one?

I've been looking at Hughes Engines Whiplash cams and like what I see. They are made for low comp motors and are designed to increase cyl press. They told me I can use my stock converter and gearing too. They are supposed to sound good at trafic lights and smooth out around 1500 RPM. I'd like to do some upgrades to my 75 Cordoba this winter and keep thinking this would be a good idea. I'd just like to hear from somebody who's tried one. Have any of you guys tried one yet?

Cams for low compression engines that raises cylinder pressure at low rpm's and sound lumpy too? How is that done? I'm no cam expert but every cam I've ever used that raised cylinder pressure did not have a lumpy idle. Generally, longer duration/overlap creates the lumpy idle but reduces cranking PSI....but have never ran their cams.

Comment

I think I see how they are doing it....

Camshaft Technical Details
      Intake Valve Lift 1.5
      Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5
      .518"
      .518"
      Intake Valve Lift 1.6
      Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6
      .552"
      .552"
      Intake Duration at .050"
      Exhaust Duration at .050"
      Lobe Separation Angle 107
      Intake Opening at .050"
      Exhaust Opening at .050"
      10.5 BTC
      51 BBC
      Intake Closing at .050"
      Exhaust Closing at .050"
      38.5 ABC
      11 ATC
      Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI
      Sweet Spot RPM 1800-5200

Comment

I know. It sounds too good to be true so my first thought is, it's not. But I've read up on these and they would be perfect if they do what they claim. That's why I thought of you guys. I may take the plunge and find out.

Comment

The people that have bought them seem to be real happy!

Comment

I have heard good things I have bought alot of things from hughes over years. They seem to know mopar in and out.
            1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wedgeheaded View Post
              I know. It sounds too good to be true so my first thought is, it's not. But I've read up on these and they would be perfect if they do what they claim. That's why I thought of you guys. I may take the plunge and find out.
              I know this an old thread, but did you ever take the plunge and put in the cam? Or did you use something else? I'm looking for a cam to put in my 400 that has some lump at idle.

Comment

I see that wedge logged on about a week or so back...but hasn't posted in 2 years... Com'on Wedge..Lets get er goin !!
                9-1-1 or 1911 Your Choice. Choose Wisely

Member USCCA

Comment

brother in law needs a flat tappet solid lifter cam for his 67 GTX 440, wants street tame kinda RV torque thumper. his motor is rolling into my shop soon for me to build. all numbers match car, don't wanna go too wild. Any suggestions? Damon?
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

I'm thinking of using a Comp Cam XE268H or XE274H. Don't want to get too big, but I still want a lumpy, choppy idle. Anyone use one of these cams?

Comment

Well a 268 is just above stock so??

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeboy8 View Post
                        Well a 268 is just above stock so??
                        Could you tell me what a stock 400 has for cam specs? I have looked, but did not find anything. Did the 400hp motor have a bigger cam or different heads or both, over the base 400?

Comment

Working...
                        X