Please hurry! 440 and 727 in a 76 charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please hurry! 440 and 727 in a 76 charger

Theres a guy who just posted a 1972 440 and 727 on craigslist for 300 bucks! I need to know if its possible at all it could fit. The car could fit a 400 but idk about a 440. Thanks!

Originally posted by 76chargerdaytona
    Theres a guy who just posted a 1972 440 and 727 on craigslist for 300 bucks! I need to know if its possible at all it could fit. The car could fit a 400 but idk about a 440. Thanks!

Yes, the 440 engine was FACTORY installed in the B-body cars up until 1978, and used extensively in police vehicles up until that time. I can't help much with the details, but it does fit!!

I personally drove a couple of '72 440 Fury police cars, and, although they were down on compression, they ran quite well!

Be advised that the '72 engines did not have hardened valve seats in the heads for today's unleaded fuel, though, but you are probably going to check out and refurbish the 440 BEFORE putting into your car, I hope!

That would be a cool swap!

And...........Welcome to Style!!

Comment

$300 for a '72 440/727 from a car is a good deal. You can do a 440/727 in a '76 B.
      '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

that be a good deal
        Poorwhite boy

Comment

NICE its from a motorhome and i figure the cash to hp ratio will be better then building my 318

Comment

Only thing you have to watch is clearance between the carb and the hood. It will fit just fine as others have said. Just watch the space depending on the air cleaner you use and intake.

Comment

true i think motor and tranny mounts will have to be altered

Comment

Maybe not. It will fit fine, but if you put on an intake that's pretty high or a spacer, it's really close. I put some putty on the air cleaner and lowered the hood slowly and that was with the 400. Just put a scoop on it.

Comment

440 in a b-body

I dunno about charger hood clearance. I DID put a 440 in a 78 magnum that was orig a 318. It lacked 3/4" of closing the hood, the a/c comp held it up. worked the motor mounts and k frame a bit and got it to work. Good Luck!!
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

i had a 78 magnum with a 360, swapped it out for a 413. i also changed the k-member too. i had no problems at all. that old girl rocked. heres what it looked like.
                    Mopar Style - CND Garage
                    sigpic

My Garage

Comment

i dont want to cut my original hood but ill keep posted if i do anything

Comment

I had a 78 Magnum with a dealer installed 440. It was bone stock with a dual snorkle air cleaner and had no clearance issues. Schumacher Creative Services makes a motor mount swap kit.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/Pr...Year/73UP.html

Comment

Originally posted by 76chargerdaytona View Post
                          NICE its from a motorhome and i figure the cash to hp ratio will be better then building my 318
                          Then it's just an okay deal.

Don't know about motor mounts but I know that there are mounts and cop cars had 440s. Not sure if the 400 mounts will work fine, the 400 trans will work fine.
                          '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

If your Charger has a 318 (small block) now, you either need to get the conversion motor mounts or swap your K-frame to one from a big block car. The 400 will not fit on the 318 K-frame with stock 400 motor mounts.

Comment

Not sure when they switched from a 413 to a 440 for the motor home or if you could still get either one but if it's a 413, it's possible to have the high mount water pump on it. If so, the heads also have a water port going to them from the pump housing.

Comment

Working...
                              X