X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hemisatellite
    replied
    440 in a b-body

I dunno about charger hood clearance. I DID put a 440 in a 78 magnum that was orig a 318. It lacked 3/4" of closing the hood, the a/c comp held it up. worked the motor mounts and k frame a bit and got it to work. Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• Bblock
    replied
    Maybe not. It will fit fine, but if you put on an intake that's pretty high or a spacer, it's really close. I put some putty on the air cleaner and lowered the hood slowly and that was with the 400. Just put a scoop on it.

Leave a comment:

• 76chargerdaytona
    replied
    true i think motor and tranny mounts will have to be altered

Leave a comment:

• Bblock
    replied
    Only thing you have to watch is clearance between the carb and the hood. It will fit just fine as others have said. Just watch the space depending on the air cleaner you use and intake.

Leave a comment:

• 76chargerdaytona
    replied
    NICE its from a motorhome and i figure the cash to hp ratio will be better then building my 318

Leave a comment:

• poor white boy
    replied
    that be a good deal

Leave a comment:

• 270SE
    replied
    $300 for a '72 440/727 from a car is a good deal. You can do a 440/727 in a '76 B.

Leave a comment:

• R-body_mopar
    replied
    Originally posted by 76chargerdaytona
    Theres a guy who just posted a 1972 440 and 727 on craigslist for 300 bucks! I need to know if its possible at all it could fit. The car could fit a 400 but idk about a 440. Thanks!

Yes, the 440 engine was FACTORY installed in the B-body cars up until 1978, and used extensively in police vehicles up until that time. I can't help much with the details, but it does fit!!

I personally drove a couple of '72 440 Fury police cars, and, although they were down on compression, they ran quite well!

Be advised that the '72 engines did not have hardened valve seats in the heads for today's unleaded fuel, though, but you are probably going to check out and refurbish the 440 BEFORE putting into your car, I hope!

That would be a cool swap!

And...........Welcome to Style!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X