Please hurry! 440 and 727 in a 76 charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    Not sure when they switched from a 413 to a 440 for the motor home or if you could still get either one but if it's a 413, it's possible to have the high mount water pump on it. If so, the heads also have a water port going to them from the pump housing.
    They were used side by side many years. It may have standard car heads or industrial heads, same with the pistons. So even though it isn't a low as dirt compression year motor it still may have low as dirt compression. Motor homes are much harder on motors than most land yachts could dream of being.

Should be worth $300. You could probably get most of what you need to build it up some from a 383.
    Last edited by 270SE; 02-02-2011, 12:21 AM.
    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

sounds like a good canidate for a stroker kit. take those stock pistons and pitch em
      YouTube - Julz 65

Comment

Also, the transmission is going to have that short large tail shaft with the bolt on yoke. Should have the 4 planetary gear set tho....

Comment

Like 79MagT says, instead of swapping the KFrame for the big block you will need the Schumaker conversion mounts and they also make a nice set of Tri Y headers for it. Good luck with the swap and keep us posted.
          1975 Charger SE E68 323
          1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
          1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
          1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

A couple of thoughts... I have swapped B-RB in place of the A's and did not change the k-frame, just the engine mounts. Some of the MH engines have goofy heads with odd exhaust manifolds in addition to the water pump issues mentioned. Some of the MH transmissions also have a tailshaft mounted e-brake which consumes massive amounts of space.
            $300 is still a good deal for the package.
            Quality Engineered Components
            EarlyHemi Parts and Tech
            http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/

Comment

Another consideration would be the oil pan and pickup. I have done the truck 440 engine swap into my 75 cordoba years ago and i know that truck oil pans and pickups are different. fortunately i think the 400 oil pan will fit fine. A baffled oil pan will be the best for your application and always replace the pickup with new. Stock exhaust y pipe from a 400 equipped cordoba will not work either because of the deck height differences between 440 and 400. I went with a set of headers in my car which worked ok but then i had to get a custom shifter because of shift linkage clearance issues ( i had column shift). If you are transplanting the 440 into a 318 car then you will need conversion mounts or find a big block cordoba k-member. you may want to take the torsion bars out of the big block car too if you find one. I had to modify my 400 engine bracketry to work on my 440 too as a result of deck height differences. But holy cow is it ever worth it. My 400 was pretty tired. i couldn't do burnouts on pavement until i put the 440 in (stock truck engine from 76) Then the car was transformed, i couldn't believe the difference in power easy block long burnouts. Sorry for the Novel! I'm an advocate for Big Block Cordoba Conversions

Comment

Not for nothing but I have done the 440 out of a motor home and the motor is different than a 440 out of a car or pickup. The motor had a different type heads than that found on a 440 out of a car. There was at least 8 extra coolent outlets drilled into the heads making the heads thinnner. I think they were used to heat or cool different areas of the motor home. The heads were prone to cracking and really not made for the performance aspect of the street. The motor had plenty of torque but the smaller valves on the motor home 440 made it useless. If I read your post correctly you stated you were getting it from a motor home. This is not true of all MH 440s Just take a closer look at the motor. Some motor homes motors were from cars and others were made for motor homes. Maybe I just picked up a wierd motor. I put a 383 in afterwards and the car was a terror on the streets.
                Last edited by magnumfan; 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
                  Not for nothing but I have done the 440 out of a motor home and the motor is different than a 440 out of a car or pickup. The motor had a different type heads than that found on a 440 out of a car. There was at least 8 extra coolent outlets drilled into the heads making the heads thinnner. I think they were used to heat or cool different areas of the motor home. The heads were prone to cracking and really not made for the performance aspect of the street. The motor had plenty of torque but the smaller valves on the motor home 440 made it useless. If I read your post correctly you stated you were getting it from a motor home. This is not true of all MH 440s Just take a closer look at the motor. Some motor homes motors were from cars and others were made for motor homes. Maybe I just picked up a wierd motor. I put a 383 in afterwards and the car was a terror on the streets.
                  Basically nailed it.

A 383 should be able to fix it up with most of the car parts. When everything else is the same, that's where there is no replacement for displacement.
                  '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Working...
                  X