Magnum Wheel & Tire Suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might go with the Cragers after all

The make a 17" with a true 5 on 4.5 -- but only with a 4.5" BS. The Keystones currently on there are 3.875" BS -- so I have to measure to see it the tires can come in another 5/8" + without touching.

It turns out that I have 245/60-15 tire on 8" Keystones with 4.5" BS. To get 17" tires the same height -- I need to go 245/50-17 (both 26" and small change). It looks like Michelin makes a tire that size for about $150ea (my cost).

Dave -- I bought a new tire for the Merc today -- and my old softball bud who manages a Discount Tire fixed the rim. So the Merc keeps the tires and wheels.

On the Magnum -- while the tires are about ten years old -- they've not been in the sun and I fully trust. It is the wheels I don't trust. I will never have another Unilug wheel on my car. The washers that make them unilug cause the nuts to loosen. In 300 miles -- I was missing a couple of nuts and the rest were loose on all four wheels.

I'm getting the Magnum whipped back into shape to be able to take the hard driving I give cars. I'll most likely sell the Keystones and tires or put them on a car that I sell down the road.

I want to upgrade the suspension to G-Force level, touch up a couple of areas on the paint (or maybe go with the Black and pearl red theme on my truck,, Olds, and Challenger), replace the seats with modern Cadillac ETC black leather -- and drive the snot out of it.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

I like the last wheel in post #4

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
        The make a 17" with a true 5 on 4.5 -- but only with a 4.5" BS. The Keystones currently on there are 3.875" BS -- so I have to measure to see it the tires can come in another 5/8" + without touching.
        I wasn't clear earlier. Before I sold the 300 to Russ, I did have 17x8s with 4.5" backspace and 245/45s on them. No problem. And there's plenty of room in the front. I would say a 275 wide tire on a 9" rim (5" BS) would fit in front. On the back, you can go 10.5 maybe 11" wide. I had 10" with 5" BS. 5.5" would be better. If you go to 10.5" you'd need 6" BS (11" 6.5" BS, you can see we're already close to the wheel lip). Shorter tires allow wider rims. BTW: 114.3 is a TRUE 4.5" It only gets iffy when people start listing 115mm.

I'm getting the Magnum whipped back into shape to be able to take the hard driving I give cars. I'll most likely sell the Keystones and tires or put them on a car that I sell down the road.

I want to upgrade the suspension to G-Force level, touch up a couple of areas on the paint (or maybe go with the Black and pearl red theme on my truck,, Olds, and Challenger), replace the seats with modern Cadillac ETC black leather -- and drive the snot out of it.
        another thread on here:
        http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/for...andling-2.html
        1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
        2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
          On the Magnum -- while the tires are about ten years old -- they've not been in the sun and I fully trust. It is the wheels I don't trust. I will never have another Unilug wheel on my car. The washers that make them unilug cause the nuts to loosen. In 300 miles -- I was missing a couple of nuts and the rest were loose on all four wheels.
          I'm getting old Dave...I forgot that you mentioned that early on in the thread. While I've never had unilugs myself, I know a few folks who have, and have not known them to have problems. But if my experience was like yours, I'd be dumping them too.

If you're going for serious handling, then you need to be looking into 17 or 18" wheels IMO. Not because of any inherent advantage, but because quality, sticky 15" tires are disappearing from the marketplace fast. Even if you find them now, what about 5 years from now?

I loved the 17s on CudaZappas 300.
          WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

another thread on here:
            Cordoba and Magnum handling

Looks like a good plan
            Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
            Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
            Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

I really like the second one "Mag. 500 style" on a black car looks very classy-
              There also a 5 spoke style out-HotWheels they look really sharp -my buddy put a set on his black 66' chevelle. This site looks pretty good?

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/street_rod_wheels.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Bbodymark View Post
                I really like the second one "Mag. 500 style" on a black car looks very classy-
                There also a 5 spoke style out-HotWheels they look really sharp -my buddy put a set on his black 66' chevelle. This site looks pretty good?

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/street_rod_wheels.asp
                Sorry for the wrong brand of car-but it shows the wheel-
                Also had slots that looked great with a center spinner-highly polished.
                Last edited by Bbodymark; 05-02-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X