Magnum Wheel & Tire Suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum Wheel & Tire Suggestion

About 10 years ago I put on a set of Keystone Klassic wheels and BF Goodrich TA radials, 235/70/15. I haven't driven the car much in the last 10 years -- and right now it is on the rack having Dallas go through it (change fluids including brake, look for an fix leaks, tune up, etc.) so I can rotate into my daily driving fleet of 1-week every 2 months. The tires have less than 1000 miles on them -- but the car has been kept in a garage, the tires aired up, and the car is driven about a mile once a month -- so the tires look good -- but are old.

I also have a 70 Mercury Cyclone GT that has dry rotted tires and a bent wheel.

While I like the look of the Keystone Klassics -- they're that damn Uni-Lug system -- and I don't trust them. The lugs nuts get too loo0se too fast. My thought is to maybe put the Magnum's Keystones and TAs on the Mercury -- and get a new set of some thing for the Magnum.

I put some lower profile wheels and tires on my 81 Imperial (17" in the front and 18" in the back) -- and they look nice, but they were real expensive.

I'm looking for a good value on a wheel/tire package for the Magnum.

Anyone have suggestions -- with photos, link, prices...?
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

I like Torquethrusts for aftermarket wheels on a late B, 15x7 front, and at least 15x8's on the rear.

Now they're repopping the GT radial (@ $350/ea.) if you want "original" looking tires.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

what are a couple of good sites for looking at wheels? I think I'd like to maybe find an updated version of the aluminum deep dish slotted that were popular in the early 70s. I want to go something more 70s than a "tuner" look.

NO UNI-LUGs!

Comment

a couple of options that I like so far from American Wheels are:

One of the things is that I'm not a Metric guy and all of the bolt patterns are in mm instead of sae. What is the metric equivalent for a Mopar 5 on 4.5"?

Comment

I like all of those wheels! Also, what are you going to do with the tires from the Merc? I'm looking for some 'roller' tires that are not leaking etc. When I sold my parts Belvedere, I ended up letting the whole set of aluminum wheels and matching tires go with it......not a great loss but still.....

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
            One of the things is that I'm not a Metric guy and all of the bolt patterns are in mm instead of sae. What is the metric equivalent for a Mopar 5 on 4.5"?
            It's 5x114.3mm.
            12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
              It's 5x114.3mm.
              Yup....bolt right on....

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                I like all of those wheels! Also, what are you going to do with the tires from the Merc? I'm looking for some 'roller' tires that are not leaking etc. When I sold my parts Belvedere, I ended up letting the whole set of aluminum wheels and matching tires go with it......not a great loss but still.....

The wheels are very rare Ford Rallye wheels. I've been trying to find 1 -- and they go for over $500 used -- but not a one is available. I get the wheel fixed and sell them on eBay if I can get the $2000 a set they're suppose to get

I think I'm going to settle with

TA Tires

Slotted Aluminums

I've always been a slotted aluminum kid a guy in the 60s/70s -- although they weren't polished back then

Comment

I like the last one you posted best...
                  1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
                  2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Not wanting the wheels....just the tires.....

Comment

I'm humoured in your choice of wheels. I've got a 76 Fury Sport that had vintage slotted aluminum rims on it. I've sice upgraded to Keystones like you have on your Magnum now.
                      Of your choices, I like the slotted aluminum wheels best. I'm also a fan of the vintage style.
                      Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

another option would be for 17" wheels and tires using these tires

and these wheels

What I need to know -- is for sure can I go wider that 235-45-17 on a Magnum -- and how do they compare in height to 235-60-15 I have on the car now -- so I can keep close to speedometer accuracy

Comment

OK -- I see to stay at the same height of a 235-60-15 (about 26") I need to go to a 255-45-17 -- but they will be 1/2" wider. I think I can go the 1/4" inside and out.

Comment

I'd say you could go as wide AT LEAST 275 in the front. I have that in my Challenger no problem and the late b is bigger. I had 245/45R17 and still PLENTY of room.
                            1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
                            2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

You won't like it Dave, but I'd vote for keeping the existing wheels on both cars. Keep the rare Ford wheels on the rare Ford, and the Keystones on the Magnum. Just get new tires for both.
                              WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X