76 Doba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 Doba

Hello all I am not new to the forum just couldn't my old account back up. Anyway my son drives a 76 Doba 360 4BBL. We got it off craigslist for $1000 and have done mostly minor repairs like trans mount, u-joints. The other day he ways driving and it overheated and smoke started coming out of the heater vents. I checked the coolant when I got home and it was bout two gallons low. I topped it off and it has not overheated since but he say it it leaking oil and still has smoke coming from the heater vents. I will look at it tomorrow and get a better idea of what is going on. I am wondering if it is a bad heater core or if he blew a head gasket. Do any of you have any idea what is going on?

Usually when the heater core goes, it will leak coolant into the interior of the car. If you have antifreeze in it, you should smell it. Could it be steam he's seeing?

Comment

Could be steam, I haven't noticed any coolant or a wet floor in the car. I will check it out tomorrow when t is daylight out.

Comment

I agree with Bblock - It sounds like a leak in the heater core but you would smell it. You could by- pass it to check or simply run it on defrost when warmed up, if it fogs up the windshield and leaves a greasy residue then it's should be the heater core

Comment

Those old Mopar engines are pretty hard to hurt. Some Chevy guys around here use Mopar engines because 1) they start hot and 2) hold up MUCH better than SB Chevy motors, especially when overheated. I'd betcha the motor's fine.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Yep it's the heater core.

So I checked my son's car today the heater core was defiantly leaking. Went to go ahead and bypass it and the fitting coming out of the intake next to the thermostat broke so now we took off the intake so we can get it out and fix it so now it has turned into a bigger project. Rubber hoses, fittings coming off the intake, valve cover gaskets....etc. It was obviously leaking at the intake so a good time to replace those gaskets and vaccum lines.

Comment

Nice that you found the problem and it's not too serious. Car will be as good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by Bblock View Post
                Nice that you found the problem and it's not too serious. Car will be as good as new.
                Yeah we found the problem and found others in the process. So now we had to tap the hole where one of the heater core lines connected to the intake and need to get some hoses before we get her back on the road. My son has a limited budget so we are doing it as he can afford it. Should have it on the road this weekend will help him if I have to.

Comment

Working...
                X