Oil Pan Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan Removal

I've got a '77 Cordoba with a 360. Does one have to raise the transmission or the engine at all to remove the oil pan? I haven't started yet....just want to know how much work I'm in for.

Yeah, and it is a PITA because of the big seal on the rear of 360s. On a race car -- it almost always takes less time to pull the engine out than to wrestle with it in the car and hope you don't have a leak in the rear. Sometime you get lucky and it falls together right -- most times it doesn't.

I don't know what the condition of your car is -- but if it is real nice, you might want to consider this as a time to detail under the hood. Takes about 16-20 hours to remove the hood, pull the engine and transmission as a unit, remove the wiring and other under hood components, degrease and wash inner fenders and K-frame, repaint, degrease the engine and paint, stab it back in, clean and re-install the wiring and other under hood stuff, and put the hood back on. Handling the hood is the only part that takes two people -- but two people to pull/replace the engine/transmission makes it easier.

Under the hood is the most neglected part of a nice looking car -- and often is what keeps an otherwise nice car from being a magazine feature. I know it sounds like straying away from replacing the oil pan -- but oil pans on a 360 in a isolator K-Frame car can be a bitch to do with the motor in the car.

My Magnum

Demon

Aspen

We've detailed under the hood of maybe 5-7 cars in the last 5-7 years, and all started as opportunities because of a good reason to pull the engine.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Thank-you for the information. I guess I'll have to dig my hoist and engine stand out of the basement.

Comment

If your car is really nice, you'll probably have some good paint in there waiting to be cleaned up.
        '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

I agree with the OH
          Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

Working...
          X