Booster Swap Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booster Swap Tips

Might have to change the brake booster on my red Magnum. I might just swap to the 79 setup as I have a new one, and new master cylinder. Now, if I go with that 79 setup, will the brake lines mate up?

Funny thing, it hisses bad at first, but after it runs awhile, the hissing stops. Is it the booster?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Originally posted by Magnumguy
    Might have to change the brake booster on my white Magnum. I might just swap to the 79 setup as I have a new one, and new master cylinder. Now, if I go with that 79 setup, will the brake lines mate up?

Funny thing, it hisses bad at first, but after it runs awhile, the hissing stops. Is it the booster?
    Bill, most likely the booster is bad..........virtually ALL of my R-body police cars had the HD tandem booster rot through where it meets the firewall; water got behind them, in the sponge gasket between the booster and firewall, rotting out the rear of the booster, causing a vacuum leak. When it gets bad enough, you will have no power assist, and the engine will not idle properly, or at all, due to a massive vacuum leak! I had to replace 3-4 of them, when they were still available new from Mopar; but the tandem booster has not been manufactured in years.....they were all made in the Bendix Plant, just a few miles from my house, and that plant shut down YEARS ago! (Green Island, NY)

I am assuming your Magnum has the regular booster, and 4 bolt master cylinder, correct??

I am not sure what is involved in this swap, but it should be easy enough to check the size of the brake line fittings before starting.

If you have never used the HD tandem booster, and HD police semi-metallic brake pads......you are in for a treat! Vastly superior braking with the tandem booster!

Link:

http://www.moparstyle.com/classified...e-truck&cat=16

Comment

I've had two cars with this problem. First was the 1979 Cordoba with the HD booster R body mentioned. But other than some hissing when the car starts, it always was fine. When I re-do everything in the braking system I guess I'll have to address this then (yes R body, I should buy your booster but cash is tight right now).

The other car is the 1981 Mirada. It's got the standard booster. It failed to build any pressure when I test drove the car after it had been setting 5 or 6 years. I had the car towed home after I bought it, planning on replacing the booster. I noticed after I tuned the car up and let it idle a while the booster seemed to be building assist. So after a bit the brakes were normal and I've never had a problem again with it.

Another problem that can cause booster failure is the master cylinder. The master cylinder seal can fail and brake fluid gets sucked into the booster deteriorating the internal parts of the booster.

In the big Mopar Action brake article, they don't mention problems swapping the master cylinder type other than using an adapter to attach the 2 bolt style to the 4 bolt booster. Not sure if that means the lines will bolt up OK.
      12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Not sure if the lines will match up if you switch to the '79 setup but the booster is gone on our '75 Charger and we were actually thinking of doing the same swap. If you penetrate the lines before you try to remove them, with a bit of luck, they might just come free. Then could you use those ends and make up new lines?
        1975 Charger SE E68 323
        1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
        1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
        1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

I shot them w/WD40 a couple days ago. Hoping they'll come free easy. Thanks guys!

Comment

Good luck with the lines. Being up top side they should be relativly easy to loosen without breaking. As for the match-up of the lines I would assume they would be close but not sure. The hissing is the same reason I had to change out the one on the 300. Hissing would stop when the brake was pushed but was getting worse. Yes you should use a new master as well as I was told the main reason that happens is the master leaks out the end into the booster and rots the rubber bladder.

Comment

Originally posted by LS-300 View Post
              Yes you should use a new master as well as I was told the main reason that happens is the master leaks out the end into the booster and rots the rubber bladder.
              I think this is why it's gone bad. Everyso often I have to add brake fluid to the system, and there's no leaks (in the lines and such) anywhere, but the bottom of the booster looks "wet" at times.
              Last edited by Magnumguy; 11-27-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Oh, found the problem. First, it was red, not the white car. Second, it' was the main vacuum hose. Cracked. I guess after it warmed up, it sealed. Go figure. Found it by wiggling around the hose.

Comment

But Bill . . . where is the brake fluid going? WD might not do it, but if you find a farm supply place close by they should have a good penetrate oil. If you decide not to use the other setup let me know.
                  1975 Charger SE E68 323
                  1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                  1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                  1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Loose fitting on the m/s. Just enough to run down the underneath and blow back.

I figure I'll be dealing with that soon though.

Comment

I have swapped them before the booster swap right over. I had no problems.
                      1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
                        I've had two cars with this problem. First was the 1979 Cordoba with the HD booster R body mentioned. But other than some hissing when the car starts, it always was fine. When I re-do everything in the braking system I guess I'll have to address this then (yes R body, I should buy your booster but cash is tight right now).

Mark, I have the NOS 10" tandem booster, plus the NOS Mopar HD semi-metallic police pads and NOS Mopar 11x2.5" rear shoes, when you get ready to do the brakes! (I don't have calipers and wheel cylinders, though!)

Let me know.....I can give you a deal you can't refuse! I need to get rid of all these parts I've accumulated over the last 25 years!

Comment

Working...
                        X