lost my keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost my keys

I lost my keys anyone have a solution other than a locksmith i dont want to change out the locks....i would just like to obtain a working key is there a certain way i can find a key code or somthing of the such to where i could search for a key online or get the keycode and have it made or is there a such thing?? im stuck

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

also if it comes down to it i do have an ignition key and tumbler from another column how hard is it to change out any advice/direction on doing so will be appreciated
    Have lots of chrome and a nearly complete blue interior out of a 75 charger Buckets console everything.....have a few 100mph speedos looking for red bucket seats for my 79 cordoba

The key code would be on a small tag that came with the car when it as new. Probably long gone by now. Paying a locksmith to make a key to fit your current locks can be expensive. I bought a set of new ignition and door locks because it was much cheaper.

How hard it is to swap the ignition cylinder depends on if you have tilt wheel or not. Also, the lock between tilt and non-tilt columns cannot be interchanged. For tilt wheel, you have to pull the steering wheel and compress the spring in the column using a special tool to remove the lockplate. Once you do that there's just a tab to press to pull out the lock cylinder. I seem to recall the non-tilt column is easier to work on but it's been so many years since I tore into one of those I don't remember the details.
    Last edited by DobaMark; 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM.
    12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

take a door lock and teh trunk lock out and to a locksmith, and it will be rather cheap to get a key made; if you need a service call thats when it gets expensive!

Comment

It was still going to run me almost $50 to have a key made from the door lock if I brought it in, they also told me making the key from the door lock may not result in a good key for the ignition. This was after calling several locksmiths in the Atlanta area. Hopefully it would be cheaper elsewhere.
        12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
          It was still going to run me almost $50 to have a key made from the door lock if I brought it in, they also told me making the key from the door lock may not result in a good key for the ignition. This was after calling several locksmiths in the Atlanta area. Hopefully it would be cheaper elsewhere.
          I had the opposite. All the spares worked in the ignition, but not necessarily in the doors.
          '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Taking the truck lock out may be a pain in the A** lol i have the trunk stuffed full of spare chrome trim windows and other misc parts lol :ROFLMAO:
            Originally posted by volaredon View Post
            take a door lock and teh trunk lock out and to a locksmith, and it will be rather cheap to get a key made; if you need a service call thats when it gets expensive!

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

i need to get callin then... 50 bucks isnt too bad rather do that than have to order all new locks and then change them all out ......still a little fuzzy on the whole taking the tumbler out though what kind of special tool do i need? or can you make it work without using the tool
            Have lots of chrome and a nearly complete blue interior out of a 75 charger Buckets console everything.....have a few 100mph speedos looking for red bucket seats for my 79 cordoba

Comment

If you have a tilt wheel, you'll need a lock plate compressor.
              This is a GM site, FWD at that, but the column basically is the same as the Cordoba tilit. Again, non-tilt may be different. Once you get the turn signal switch out of the way, then you just pop the lock cylinder out by pressing the tab on it.
              http://www.w-body.com/content.php/20...94-2001-w-body
              The Cordoba will be simpler, no need to fool with the dimemr switch because it isn't on the column, turn signal lever is easier too for the Chrysler.

Comment

well i got the ignition switch out of another doba today ...but it wasnt a tilt colomn and doesnt look like its going to work ...its quite a bit bigger than the one in the tilt column ....the key goes in all the way but wont turn im going to continue searching for the keys some more.....probably going to be a never ending task......damn this is puttin a bind in my scheadule ........

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

is there any way of changing out just the ignition cylinders????? does anyone think they would be the same

Comment

you don't mess w/ the tumblers; there's a "U" shaped spring clip that holds the loc into the door and a carb linkage type clip that holds the rod from the latch; take the whole lock in and they can rekey it; also usually if u have a lock on the console or glovebox these take the same key as the trunk; maybe u could take one of those in for the locksmith to get a pattern from; though some "cheaper models" didn't have lockable glove boxes or consoles though.
                  and the ign lock from a tilt car was different from non tilt in the days of your Cordoba; the tilt versions of taht era were among the 1st to have the actual ign switch run by a rod from the "switch" in the column to a point lower on the column, approx where the column passed thru the dash; the non tilt continued to have the actual switch in the column though the part that you put the key into and turned wasn't the actual switch in those either; it was hooked end to end by a cam sort of thing. but on a non tilt you had to pull the wheel to access the ign switch on a tilt you didn't (if you were working on an electrical issue, that is)
                  and remember; door and trunk locks can have rtumblers/pins switched around and rekeyed; ign switches can't; I remember the parts guy at the last dealer I was at having the kit and being able to set up a new replacement door or trunk lock to match the orig key.
                  or the door locks to a replacement ignition switch.
                  At the 1st dealer I was at (I worked at 2 dealersships from '89-92) we had a back lot, that the owner rented out to Chrysler Credit; lease returns and repo's whose owners had financed thru Chrysler Credit were processeed and sent to auction from that lot; we had a locksmith who visited weekly to re key any car that was repo'd much teh way a car is stolen; peeled columns etc that, after I rebuilt the columns he would rekey the doors to match the new ign switch; we sometimes got cars in w/o any keys; (were retrieved by tow truck, where you don't need keys to move the car) and he was teh one who came on site and "deciphered" the lock codes and made keys for these cars.

Comment

Working...
                  X