No announcement yet.

Timing chain slip/slack or getting old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain slip/slack or getting old?

Had the Magnum (at least 159K miles) smogged a few months ago and set the timing right on for inspection. Runs like crap when I do that. Bump it up a few degrees and runs fantastic. Took it out today after setting up the timing and ran like a new car.

If the timing chain is original, you're way past due for a new one but for the most part, the cars didn't run all that great when the timing was set to factory stats. Dang near every car I've ever owned from back then would run better with the timing advanced some....

Comment

I have read through the service records. Previous owner kept them like a diary. Positive it's not original.
      Glad to hear about it not being unusual.
      Really runs a crap load better advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle50 View Post
        I have read through the service records. Previous owner kept them like a diary. Positive it's not original.
        Glad to hear about it not being unusual.
        Really runs a crap load better advanced.
        Gas wasn't as bad then to be honest. And it's only getting worse. It does affect how a stock car can run at stock specs. And any one single little thing you do different than stock has a big effect.

Like if you run premium in a low compression 318 or 360 2 barrel.
        '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

What affect would alcohol tainted gas have towards timing?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
            What affect would alcohol tainted gas have towards timing?
            LOL! I have some Methanol here! My Dang Dakota has had a little bit of everything in it. After all, I don't have to worry about poisoning a converter

Comment

You can run then a little further advanced with the alcohol at 10%; you don't get the same mileage as straight gas because ETOH has a lower energy rating than gas.

You are right about the timing; factory and OEM replacement timing sets have a plastic gear that does wear out; also, the cam (effectively the same as a '68 SB cam) is installed 6 degrees back; turn it straight up with a decent double chain and that smogger motor will wake right up!

Of course, if you are already that far in, pull the valve covers and rockers, lift out the pushrods, use a magnet and pull out the lifters and throw something like a 268-H in there with some fresh lifters and REALLY wake it up!

Comment

Working...
              X