Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 300 Wiper Arm Transmission Bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This main transmission bushing failed on my son's 79 Cordoba........now what do we do???? The days of strolling over to the bone yard and easy pickings are long gone. What to do, what to do..........

Comment

• Hey, contact Scott. PM him if necessary. If no response, PM me, I have his number.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

• After two failed attempts at repairing the old bushing, and checking with a few known late model Mopar salvage yards with no luck, and being in a "need it fixed now" situation, I finally came up with a good temporary fix (or permanent if one doesn't care if the wipers retract below the hood line when off) I removed the arm that accepts that bushing, found a flat washer that was the same diameter as the hole in the arm, AND has an inner diameter that just fits over the wiper motor shaft. I then simply welded the washer to the arm using only three spot welds. That way at a later date I can simply grind the welds off and remove the washer without boogering up the arm if I ever get a replacement bushing. Then I used a rertaining ring that snaps into the groove on the motor shaft. Wipers work, but they don't retract and due to the bushing being offset and my fix ends up mounting the arm centered with the washer, they don't have the full sweep (only a few inches) But what the heck, they work!

Comment

• You do what you have to do. I was hoping he would continue to make these. I did have someone contact me recently about doing them, but thought Scott was still doing them.

Comment

• Yeah, I was determined to salvage the old bushing, and determined not to have to pay that kind of money for a repop, now. I tried Murray Park in Ohio, who has a boatload of late model Mopars but even he couldn't help. He mentioned that he had a list of about 20+ people that wanted one and he was looking to reproduce them. In the meantime, my son can now drive his car when it rains without having to resort to what I did 25+ years ago when the wiper motor went out on my 64 Sport Fury......take the wiper arm off and wipe the window by hand as you drive He said he'd rather stick his head out the window than do that! Hahaha

Comment

• Rain X helps too.

Comment

• Hello, Topher

I've been looking for this part for weeks, was wondering if you got your venture off the ground? I'm very interested in ordering one.

Comment

• Don't think Topher is doing them either. Get a part number and do a search via the internet. Some dealers still have them in stock sometimes. Also, I do have a person who's expressed interest in doing the repop. Stay tuned.

Comment

• Thanks, I do have the part number, but every other try, online and offline has been a dead end thus far. The part number is 3799281-32188 for reference. I'm thinking of making my own drawings of the part and seeing if it could be reproduced with a 3D printer.

Comment

• Hey guys, It's me Topher. I've been asked to try this again, so here we go:

I can do this the same as before by having 100 pre-paid orders of $70 to pay for the tooling and first run of parts. I'm still going to produce the 3 plastic parts of the bushing out of the original materials. I know these break down over years of use, but at least they'll be available for years to come.

Let me know that you're interested and I'll setup another paypal acct like before to safegaurd the money so I can return it to you if it doesn't workout again.

Topher

Comment

• Thanks for looking at this again, Topher! To refresh my memory...there are a couple of styles of bushings, as I understand it. Which one are you looking at reproducing?
                        WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                          Thanks for looking at this again, Topher! To refresh my memory...there are a couple of styles of bushings, as I understand it. Which one are you looking at reproducing?
                          Should be pics on the front page or 2 of this post.

Comment

• Reading through all of this, I have to wonder how hard all this really was. I have a guy that reproduces plastic parts constantly. I've seen him make molds and just pop things like this out. Where did all of this go? Is there a market for any of it?

Take the original and make either a lo-melt wax or silicone negative".

Pour in a common sculptable positive ( that you can smooth over and work and refine. Think bondo type filling and sanding as originals even have imprefections)

Re-make a plaster or silicone negative from that mold ( if the part comes straigh out, plaster. If complex geometry, then silicone).

Re-pour a polyurethane part for completion ( mold release on the production mold, of course).

Let cure 72 hours and it's done. If you want to make more than one at a time, then obviously make more "master molds" and pour a series of them.

Just having trouble figuring out why his plastic guy needed all that money unless it was injection molding or some such. The small-process hobbyist can do this all for say, 500 bucks and then make as many parts as they want.

Comment

• I was hoping some day that plastic printing would be the answer here. There were several designs, and this would save all of the tooling costs. Just need good original parts to scan, and a printable plastic that is up to the stresses involved.
                              WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

• I have an original or 2 for what that's worth. It's more than just a piece of plastic, there's a ball and spring? involved in the part, but I think it can be used w/o the internals.

Comment

Working...
                                X