frame and body mods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame and body mods.

well does anyone have any insigth on things i could do to the unibody to make it either more rigid or more performant?

im not talk about suspension but realy the metal itself.
    78 cordoba 360 4brl -under restoration

Biggest thing would be subframe connectors, may not find any available for your car but they are pretty simple to fabricate. The will tie the front and rear subframes together and strengthen the body. And eliminate the rubber mounts for the front suspension and rear axle.
    12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

How far are you willing to go? That's the question.

Building a rigid chassis starts with adding subframe connectors. (hopefully someone chimes in with the link to cordobaclubusa.com where its hidden/archived).
      Next up would be "torque boxes" like what was installed on the late 60s/early 70s convertibles.
      Then you can start seam welding all the panels, rather than the factory spot welds.
      Add re-infocement to the lower radiator support, tying the two better together.
      Seam weld the k-frame, gusset the steering box (and add solid isolator bushings so the k-frame will add rigidity).

Short of adding a cage, I think this is about it... some argument could be made for some bars made to go from the firewall to the front of the frame rails. The front frame rails are very flexible on the Late Bs because of the removable inner fenders
      Last edited by CudaZappa; 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM.
      1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
      2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

well the car just came into the garage today and ill be metall working for a whole month.

at my disposal are bench metal cuter,grinders,220 mig welder,grinders press drills, oxy/acethelane torch.

so if anything come to mind id be happy to know,im going to need work for this month.

and what are torque boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
          Building a rigid chassis starts with adding subframe connectors. (hopefully someone chimes in with the link to cordobaclubusa.com where its hidden/archived).
          That article was in one of the 3 quarterly club news letters I authored. Unfortunately (apparently only in my opinion! LOL) they are no longer available on-line. If you would like a copy, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a copy.
          WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

You can throw in a frame tie at the front and rear, as well. That's a popular mod among Corvettes, but can be used on other vehicles.

You can also weld in the torsion bar cross member, or the ends of it that matter. Just think about how you'll remove the engine/trans before you get into it.

You want to be careful about where and how you seam weld panels if you get into that... it can lead to tearing later in the wrong places. Like it or not, the car's always going to have some flex in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darlantan View Post
              You can throw in a frame tie at the front and rear, as well. That's a popular mod among Corvettes, but can be used on other vehicles.

You can also weld in the torsion bar cross member, or the ends of it that matter. Just think about how you'll remove the engine/trans before you get into it.

You want to be careful about where and how you seam weld panels if you get into that... it can lead to tearing later in the wrong places. Like it or not, the car's always going to have some flex in it.

the car is already striped down to nothing,engine on a stand and tranny out aswell

Comment

I was more in reference to getting it in and out again after you've welded in something in lieu of/modified the crossmember.

Comment

here's the article on putting SFC's in a Late B (Gjerm originally posted on here)

Chrysler Cordoba Club USA

Comment

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
                    here's the article on putting SFC's in a Late B (Gjerm originally posted on here)

Chrysler Cordoba Club USA
                    You're killing me. What "tab" did you find that under? I looked in all of them and did not see it.
                    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

I had somehow found it at work and the URL was saved! I was on break at the time... yeah that's it!

Comment

Working...
                      X