t top?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t top?

can a t top be installed on a non t top car?

if so what do i need and has anyone done it before?
    78 cordoba 360 4brl -under restoration

Their have always been companies who have professionally installed T-Tops for dealers. Most of the factory installed T-Top, sun roof, and moon roof cars were modified hardtops by companies like ASC.

That said, it really takes a pro to make it look right and not leak. It is a little more complicated than taking a sawzall to the top of a Magnum and throwing on a set of gaskets and T-Tops. Headliner, latches, dome light wiring, rain drip edges.....
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

But, it can be done. Spoke w/a guy @ Carlisle in '08, he had converted a non-T 79 300 to t-roof. He left it to a professional though, he was very pleased how it turned out. In this case, IIRC, he said it wasn't that big a deal to a good body man.

One thing about our late B's, if you can cut at the factory seams, and weld a similarly cut top off a donor car, it can be done. Again though, I'd leave this to a professional, as the aforementioned guy did.

I have a spare t-roof that I'd be glad to sell you. I'm changing one of my Magnums to a moonroof car and had originally planned to convert it to a t-roofer. It doesn't have seals, but I do have the glass tops. Dave05 did a wonderful tech write up on swapping out old seals for new, using other rubber.
      Last edited by Magnumguy; 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

I spoke to the same guy and the body guy that did it about the same time. The only way to really do it is with a whole T-top roof. Very labor intensive.
        1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
        2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

The really hard part of this swap is the bracing under the roof panel itself. Getting that lined up right (much less in and out without maligning anything) would be a PITA. I looked at it when I had my Magnum stripped apart - with the glass out and all the bracing cut out the pillars are all flapping in the breeze. It can be done, but I'm not a T top fan to start with so I let it lie.

Everyone above is right: you can't do it well without an original T roof to swap in.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
            But, it can be done. Spoke w/a guy @ Carlisle in '08, he had converted a non-T 79 300 to t-roof. He left it to a professional though, he was very pleased how it turned out. In this case, IIRC, he said it wasn't that big a deal to a good body man.

One thing about our late B's, if you can cut at the factory seams, and weld a similarly cut top off a donor car, it can be done. Again though, I'd leave this to a professional, as the aforementioned guy did.

I have a spare t-roof that I'd be glad to sell you. I'm changing one of my Magnums to a moonroof car and had originally planned to convert it to a t-roofer. It doesn't have seals, but I do have the glass tops. Dave05 did a wonderful tech write up on swapping out old seals for new, using other rubber.
            do you have the whole roof? if so can you post a few pics.

Comment

Originally posted by re330 View Post
              do you have the whole roof? if so can you post a few pics.
              I do, and I will, probably not till next week.

Comment

I had my parts 300 t-top removed by cutting the roof off(quick and dirty).

Apon looking at how it was installed, i say with todays materials (bonding sealing etc.)

it could be installed better than in 1979.

And mig welded instead of spot..no rattles.
                2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

I'd use panel adhesive for most of the job - less warping.

Comment

Originally posted by Darlantan View Post
                    I'd use panel adhesive for most of the job - less warping.
                    im going to mig weld it,im shure modern glue is strong but im trusting a good weld

Comment

I would be reluctant to do a top swap on one of these two-ton unibody cars unless I just had to.

And I definitely wouldnt glue it, I used the automix 3m glue on my quarter skins and Ive got loose areas that I had to spot weld in less than two years.
                      No way Id glue a roof on.

Hit anything bigger than a turtle and it'll fold like a taco.

Comment

Originally posted by anrkii View Post
                        Hit anything bigger than a turtle and it'll fold like a taco.
                        An interesting metaphor. :ROFLMAO:
                        WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                          An interesting metaphor. :ROFLMAO:
                          X2 !!! I laughed out loud!!

Comment

Years ago we had a non glass roof Crown Victoria and we found a wreck with a good glass roof and swapped it and it worked just fine. Removed the windshields, marked both cars good and made the swap. And as mentioned above with today's equipment it would work even better.
                            Good luck re330.
                            1975 Charger SE E68 323
                            1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                            1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                            1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Found you a top.

Comment

Working...
                              X