Late B firm shocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late B firm shocks?

I can find KYB Gas-A-Justs for the rear but not the front?! Whaaaaat?

Any suggestions for my 79 300 - I want good, firm heavy duty shocks and the vendors are telling me there are none for the front of my car (or the Cordoba or Magnum or Charger I tell them to look under too)...

...and I can't afford Konis or the like (which would be silly anyways on this). Just a good, strong, high pressure shock for a good handling 4000 pound car with a tight suspension & sway bars... and cruddy, floaty old man "discount" shocks from the previous owner!

What's on YOURS and where did you find them?

Thanks!
    Scott in Texas... 67 Valiant, 69 Dart, 73 Dart Sport, 74 D100, 79 300... and a Pinto with a V8!
    Thanks for using your signals, not passing on the right, and not pluralizing with apostrophes...

Originally posted by Guitarguy
    I can find KYB Gas-A-Justs for the rear but not the front?! Whaaaaat?

Any suggestions for my 79 300 - I want good, firm heavy duty shocks and the vendors are telling me there are none for the front of my car (or the Cordoba or Magnum or Charger I tell them to look under too)...

...and I can't afford Konis or the like (which would be silly anyways on this). Just a good, strong, high pressure shock for a good handling 4000 pound car with a tight suspension & sway bars... and cruddy, floaty old man "discount" shocks from the previous owner!

What's on YOURS and where did you find them?

Thanks!
    EBAY, I got both front and rear for about $70.00

Comment

Front & rear what, from where? I see the KYB G stuff but was told those aren't firm like the Gas-A-Justs. I know the front Gas-A-Just listings all SAY "Fits Cordoba" if that's what I search for (it'd say "fits Tatra" if that's what I searched), but when you actually go on the ad and hit "compatible vehicles" and enter any late B it comes back with "This part does not fit your vehicle."

So a part number or model or lead as to where I can really buy firm KYB Gas-A-Justs - front and rear - or equivalent would be helpful. Thanks!
      Scott in Texas... 67 Valiant, 69 Dart, 73 Dart Sport, 74 D100, 79 300... and a Pinto with a V8!
      Thanks for using your signals, not passing on the right, and not pluralizing with apostrophes...

Comment

CudaZappa will chime in on this. He does auto-cross.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

All I did was a search at Ebay for 1978 Cordoba and Magnum they both use the same parts.

1975-1979 Cordoba,1975-1977 Charger,1975-79 Fury,1978-1979 Magnum and 1979 Chrysler 300 all use the same platform and all parts interchange except some body and interior parts.

I got my KYB shocks from this vendor at Ebay, He had a special going on both sets were on sale. Just contact him and he can set you up with a complete set.

http://stores.ebay.com/justsuspension
          Last edited by Old Tired Rebel XS22N8R; 09-06-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Appreciate the help Old Rebel, but...

Familiar with the shared platforms, that's why I've had vendors look under those cars too.

That link shows no ebay store and a search for the name shows nothing available.

Just Suspension the company DOES carry "KYBs" but ONLY carries the Gas-A-Justs for the REAR. Like the others I've been in touch with. The only fronts are the KYB GR2s / excel Gs, which "restores a vehicle’s originally designed handling and control", which is not what I'm looking for.

Like I said, I'd like heavy duty stiffer shocks. Can't find them for the front.
            Anybody else? FIRM aftermarket gas shocks for the late B? NOT standard replacement. NOT standard replacement that just happens to say KYB on it. Gas-A-Justs or equivalent, please... thanks!

Comment

What is your definition of a "tight" suspension? Is it all rebuilt, new bushings etc? or are there upgrades?

BTW: I could also ramble on about shocks that would be too long to read, so I'll keep this short. Shocks are not designed to make you handle better, they are designed to critically damp the oscillations in a spring. You want the shock "tuned" for your suspension. "Stiff" shocks are for worn (ie weak, cycled out) springs. They can actually hurt the ride and handling of a car with new (or like new) springs.

If its a "restored" suspension, just get the regular shocks available. KYB GR2s. They'll be fine. Go to a "stiff" shock and you'll just be beating the snot out of the bushings in the suspension, because then they'll be absorbing the road, and not the shock.

If you've upgraded the suspension (read my dissertation here), then call up Firm Feel and tell them what you need and order the Bilsteins. You won't find a better shock for the $$$ unless you can unearth the discontinued Koni Reds. (I helped find a set for a member here a ways back.)
              1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
              2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you CudaZappa.

By "Tight" I mean stock but it's a 300 and it's not showing much wear.

By "Firm" I mean the equivalent of a HD "cop" shock or the old Monroes. Stronger than the Sam Walton specials on there now, if you catch my drift.

LOVE the Gas-A-Justs on my 69 Dart, just hoping to get some on my 300.

~Scott

Comment

Front shocks.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-3...item2a09d110fc

Gasajust rear shocks. From the KYB catalog. There is no Gas-A Just for the front.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...item45f4b6d3e6

Comment

I have found a set of gas-a-justs that will fit a cordoba/ magnum in the front

kg4507 will work on a doba/magnum.
                    same length, mounting and stud size.
                    the only difference is that the steel tube in the top bushing is 1 7/16 long instead of 2 1/8 like the cordoba. thats the only difference between the two

so either add a few washers, or hammer out your old spacer and stick them in the new shocks.

problem solved.

you may now shower me with praise

Comment

Konis are not magic

I think I am the guy that CZ helped find the Konis for the the front last year.
                      They were an awesome closeout deal, and they improved the ride and handling, a lot but... it still doesn't handle anything like a modern car. I also found a set of Monroe Load Levelers that helped too, but based on CZ's recommendations I would consider them a band aid. IMHO the KYBs/GasAJust are useless. Took them off as soon as I could. Since I have all original rubber and the original Iso-isolator stuff I can't expect any more. Trying to deal with keeping it original and yet making it safer and more fun to drive. Only 59K miles since new.

Haven't been on for a while so thanks CZ for the reference to your earlier dissertation. I printed it out to file for future use. My daily driver is a 98 Buick Regal and I found some recommendations for it similar to CZ's on a forum, and they made a world of difference. CZ has done the homework and shared a recipe I look forward to implementing some day.
                      78 Magnum GT - original owner - triple black - most options
                      98 T& C LXi
                      98 Regal GS

Comment

C-Zappa's pretty handy to have around. Good head on his shoulders.

Comment

Wow, great advice, and solid opinions. Thank you all. I have no illusions about this barge ever handling like a modern car, but that's irrelevant to me as I don't drive modern cars. My daily driver is a '69 Dart. The 79 300 is, however, by far the best handling larger car I've had, and I've had a few.

With my driving on my local roads based on my experience a slightly more heavy duty shock will work on my car to give me subtle changes I'd like. Everybody has stuff that works for them... it's a great place where you can get the benefits of such a wide variety of experience.

Thank you all for the info!

Comment

Greatest collection of Mopar folks you'll find!

Comment

I have the KYB on my car. they are OK for the money. They last pretty long. I do need new T bars. Firm Feel has em. I need the coin for it right now. and too much going on to really deal with car stuff.
                              I replaced my rear springs onece, I put in HD ones from Just Susp and they were a dissapointment, they are getting weak kneed and not evenly. They were made in Venezuaela as well. Will try Firm Feels as well on the back. I just want decent springs. Any way I have the heavier KYBs in the front, they were a GM aplication that Just Susp knew about (previous vendor owner) the lower mounting The tube the bolt goes through was shorter so it came with washers. Otherwise a perfect simple fit. I will look for the part number for them.
                              Guns dont kill, socialized healthcare kills

Comment

Working...
                              X