Difference between 78 and 79 Magnum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 78 and 79 Magnum?

Ok, as a Cordoba owner being drawn to this forum, I am really digging the Magnums. I am thinking of possibly getting one. What are the main differences between the models and years. Would like to know a little more about them. Anyone have a good link that could explain all this.

Thanks
    Mopar or No Car

Tail lights, 85MPH speedo, and shifter

I have a 79 GT and a couple 78 XEs

78s

Only kidding on the 140 Police speedos. The 78 came with 100MOH and the 79s with 85MPH. I replaced mine with Police speedos with St. Regis' so I wouldn't break them.

The engine tuned dash and trim on the 79 is a GT difference -- not a year difference.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Wow, awesome photos... I want one now... Which model came with a factory tac? Black is awesome... My wife is going to divorce me... lol
      Mopar or No Car

Comment

Tach was an option for both years. None of mine came with one -- but I've bought used instrument panels with a tach and used an Infinity stereo from a 99 Durango. The black car is heavily modified. It was a 400 CI motor -- but I swapped the motor out with a 400 with a forged 383 crank from a drag race car, Schumacher headers, custom 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowmaster 50s. Power windows from a Cordoba donor car, 8.75" (with new 3.55:1 gears) from a 72 Charger, March serpentine system, Mopar electronic ignition, shift kit, ... The car can probably do a 13-second 1/4 mile with the ac on.

Comment

check out MagnumGT.com

Comment

Besides tail lights and speedos, the 79 has an aluminum master cylinder.
            In 79 you couldn't get a 400 in one.
            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Besides the differences above, plus some color changes, the AC system is different in 1979. Still uses the same compressor, but the easiest place to see the difference is below the glove compartment.
              1979 (though it is a Cordoba)

I can't find a good 1978 interior picture for comparison but the piece under the glove box with the AC lap vent will be smaller on 1978 and earlier.
              12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

Old Hippie thanks for the awesome pics. I think I am going to be on the look out for one. One with a very clean interior. That is my most concern. I dont want to be chasing interior parts all over.
                Mopar or No Car

Comment

the hood hinges were different too. on the 78's they used a torsion spring and on the 79 it was more of a hinge with a coil spring.

sigpic

My Garage

Comment

Master cylinders are different. 78's had the old cast iron style, 79's have the plastic resevior 2 cap style. 79's also have a diagnostic connector on the left inner fender, 78's don't have it. Also, the tiny XE emblem on the inside door panel trim are different between 78 and 79. Last one I know is the finish on the insides of the headlight doors are different between the 2 years.

Comment

trunk floors are different both years have different gas tanks, heater boxes, air and a few other things
                      1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Comment

If I remember right, the rear sway bar was standard in 78 but optional in 79.
                        Scott in Texas... 67 Valiant, 69 Dart, 73 Dart Sport, 74 D100, 79 300... and a Pinto with a V8!
                        Thanks for using your signals, not passing on the right, and not pluralizing with apostrophes...

Comment

Trunk floor and gas tank

79 floor shifter different

heater-a/c box different

79's have diagnostic plug

hood hinges

master cylinder

gauge font different on 79's

79 XE's had a corporate center cap vs "XE" on 78 caps with alum fascia wheels

no 400 engine in 79, but gained a 318-4

different wire wheel caps

Magnum Forces were 79's

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

It is amazing how many differences there are for two cars that look almost the same. I guess I knew most of those differences at one time and forgot many of them. I'll also add the plastic finned deep dish wheelcovers had silver slots in 1978, black slots in 1979.
                            12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

I think 78 was the only year a 400ci was offered. Dropped to 360 in 79.

Comment

Working...
                              X