No announcement yet.

Cordoba and Magnum handling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always used a 245/60/15 tire on a 7 or 8 inch wide wheel. I also used all poly bushing in the front including subframe and torsionbar bushing. Usually buy a firm feel steering gear either stage 2 or 3 nice and firm. In the rear I have got rid of the iso clamps with the older stype set up. If not poly bushing in them can be got for them to and I lke 5 five leaf springs 300/gt. Usually stock rear bar but have used a larger one from pst not sure if still made though. Also drop the height of the car around 2 inches to seem the lower the better it handles. But not to low if you have a small block with headers it will eat them depending on brand. Usually kybs al the way around. I like the way they handle with those parts dont seem to float anymore.
    1979 Chrysler 300 (408 stroker) SOLD!!!

Comment

Bump for posterity
      1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
      2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
        Bump for posterity
        Any updates on new parts?

Comment

I developed my own rear iso-eliminator kit for the rear end to it on the springs.

Sold one kit to an F-body guy. Second kit is going on my 300. Will have pics when I get the second kit made.

Comment

The last few days I have been thinking what to do with my 60K mile 78 Magnum GT and specifically the handling. As mentioned previously in this thread, I have the Koni front shocks (thanks to CudaZappa pointing out a sweet deal) and Monroe Load Levelers on the rear. My plan at this time is to get the Energy Suspension Torsion Bar Bushings (5.4110G), the body mount bushings (5.41111G), the trans mount (5.1101G), and the sway bar bushings (5.142G assuming I have the 15/16" bar since it is a GT - I have to measure). These are all polyurethane bushings. They will be installed and then I will see how the car handles with these. I am using the polyurethane here since I would think there is little twisting force on these bushings/mounts.

In doing some research, a number of folks on other forums complain about squeaks from polyurethane bushings, especially when there is twist such as on control arm bushings Therefore, the next step will be to replace the control arm bushings and strut rod bushings with a standard performance ( rubber)super front end kit from Performance Suspension Technology. http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7882/.f?sc=12

I run 255/60 x 15 tires and have the original torsion bars and leaf springs.

Following the above, depending on the results, I would then consider the rear leaf spring bushing kit (5.2110G) for a bit more improvement if needed.

My goal is for this to handle more like a late 90's car than a late 70's.

Would anyone care to chime on how these modifications will turn out? Does this progression makes sense? The first stage will run about $150 in parts.
            The second stage would be $369 in parts.
            78 Magnum GT - original owner - triple black - most options
            98 T& C LXi
            98 Regal GS

Comment

If you still have factory rubber in all the locations you mentioned, I'd agree with the move to poly, if for no other reason than the originals have probably deteriorated due to age. You could even go aluminum on the cradle bushings. And you should check the leaf spring bushings in back too.

These may help firm up the ride a touch, and get rid of a little slop in the k-frame, if there is any there now.

But for serious improvements in handling, you're going to have to change some hard parts. Torsion bars, leaf springs, and front/rear sway bars can all be increased in size/rate from stock, and produce a nice increase in handling. Tubular upper control arm like those sold at Firm Feel will help you get more caster into your alignment. Actually, there are quite a few items in the Firm Feel arsenal that will help you out, including a change to a Firm Feel steering box. That, along with a swap to some fast ration pitman/idler arms will improve the "quickness" of your steering, eliminate any slop from box wear, and give you a firmer feel at the wheel.

Subframe connectors would be a nice addition as well. Eventually, wheels/tires can be up-sized for greater grip, but if the tires you have now have a lot of tread, I'd run them while improving other system s on the car, and improve on them when replacements are due.
              WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1of861 View Post
                My plan at this time is to get the Energy Suspension Torsion Bar Bushings (5.4110G), the body mount bushings (5.41111G),...
                Would anyone care to chime on how these modifications will turn out? Does this progression makes sense? The first stage will run about $150 in parts.
                The second stage would be $369 in parts.
                Go aluminum on the t-bar x-member and the k-frame bushings. A lot of force is exerted on the k-frame bushings. A tremendous amount. All your steering input goes through those and that can be the difference with a car that feels it steers itself or numb steering, to something that gives you a lot of confidence behind the wheel. At least go through the k-bushings. They aren't cheap, but then again, they'll never go down in price, and they are made in the USA buy guys that do care and race our Chryslers!

Comment

Dyno Dave and CudaZappa, thanks for commenting. I went ahead and had done the polyurethane bushings on the K-frame and the transmission cross member. Just picked the car up a few days ago and hope to take it out this weekend for a good test drive, and plan to report then. It does feel better and more responsive so far. Not track ready by any means, but less rubbery. I have more confidence in the handling now.

Got the trans mount kit (Energy 5.1101G) but was told would not fit so it was not installed. Is our trans mount different?
                  78 Magnum GT - original owner - triple black - most options
                  98 T& C LXi
                  98 Regal GS

Comment

Hey, Look! My old car made it around an autocross!!! It wins 2 awards at Carlisle and gets posted on hotrod.com!

Comment

VERY GOOD! That is inspiring!!!
                      David

Comment

Install the 79 300 front and rear sway bars.

Comment

Working...
                        X