New Magnum owner,lean burn question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Magnum owner,lean burn question

Hey guys, just picked up this 1979 Magnum XE about a month ago. 360 2 bbl, 55k , one owner AC T bar roof car. I've got it running and driving, but I want to take the lean burn junk off. Any experts here? What's the best intake,carb and dizzy combo? Any other concerns?

Comment

Welcome aboard 1979Magnum360.

You can replace the Lean Burn with a Mopar Performance electronic distributor conversion kit from Mancini Racing (or others). I like Mancini because Mopar is all they do.
      WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

While it comes with some basic instructions, there are pretty good directions on installing the kit on the Imperial Club site.

WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

As to intake and carb, nothing special is needed. What will work to convert any small block Mopar from 2bbl. to 4bbl. should work. Watch your hood clearance.

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

I did three small block and one big block leanburns to 4bbl

I used Ededelbrock Performer intake. The air gap will be too tall
            Edelbrock Performer carb. 600cfm on SB and 750cfm on 400 with Electric choke
            You need a 1" square bore to spreadbore adapter as the intake is Sreadbore
            If you have AC, there's a solenoid that bumps up the RPMs when ac is turned on
            I used a Mopar Performance Open Element Air Cleaner with short KN element as hood clearance is issue and drop filters interfere with carb
            Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition conversion kit

Its about a grand, but well worth it, and I resold the parts taken off on eBay for $400

Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	263077
            Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
            Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
            Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
              While it comes with some basic instructions, there are pretty good directions on installing the kit on the Imperial Club site.
              I was going to say Imperial Club has info. One thing I did to one of mine, was I left the leanburn computer in place, but changed the carb (large Holley 2 barrell) to a non LB carb and went to a vacuum advance distributor. Has worked well for years!!! And what a difference in performance. And it still appears bone stock.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

I sent you a PM

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

When I made the conversion on my '78 many years ago (it was a factory 4 bbl. car), I didn't touch anything not in the conversion kit. Ran fine, jetting and all.

My point...if the cost is too daunting to do it all at once as BK describes, you may be able to do the ignition system first, and save up for the other parts over time.

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

• BK
                    BK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is true
                Working...
                X