Well poop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well poop

So I was under the rear of the Cordoba the other day getting ready to put the new shocks on and as I slid out from underneath it, I noticed something off about the rear leaf spring perch on the drivers side. It was getting dark so I grabbed my flashlight and what I saw made my heart sink. The perch is rotted out and damn near ready to punch it's way through the trunk. It's nothing that I can't fix, but sure puts a damper on having the old girl on the road here anytime soon. About a 7"x7" patch of the trunk floor will also need replaced that the perch is actually spot welded to.
    It's such a small, localized area that has gone bad and the rest of the car, minus the quarters, is perfectly fine. The right hand perch is mint, as is the trunk on that side so at least I have a frame of reference to get measurements off of.

Seen it many times. Disappointing, but very fixable.
    WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Grind and primer until you can get to it.

Because we're all busy and that tends to push jobs difficult to us but not to others into the far future - sometimes it is just better to bite the bullet and find a local expert with the tools and ability to quickly and inexpensively cut out the old metal and weld in new metal.
      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
        Seen it many times. Disappointing, but very fixable.
        Oh yah, it just hit me like a ton of brick is all lol. Time to blow the dust off of the old MIG I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
          Grind and primer until you can get to it.

Because we're all busy and that tends to push jobs difficult to us but not to others into the far future - sometimes it is just better to bite the bullet and find a local expert with the tools and ability to quickly and inexpensively cut out the old metal and weld in new metal.
          Should have it all done by the weekend, I'm pretty handy with a MIG and a grinder lol.

Comment

Kool, I was hoping it wasn't going to be one of those stories where it sits for months.
            Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
            Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
            Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
              Kool, I was hoping it wasn't going to be one of those stories where it sits for months.
              Oh no, I'd like to have her on the road before summer is out. I missed my deadline of having it ready for our big local cruise weekend already, I'm quite motivated to get it rolling lol.

Comment

Any updates?
                WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                  Any updates?
                  The hole in the trunk directly above the perch is done, going to patch another small hole I found on the other side of the trunk nowhere near anything structural thank god, and then POR-15 the whole thing. I'll hopefully get the perch repaired this weekend, use some more POR under the car, give it a light scuff and then undercoat the living hell out of it. I'll snap some pictures after work and post them.

Comment

Good deal. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X