X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to Polish Magnum Headlights

Before

After

Frankly the photos don't do justice to how terrible these headlight doors were, and how nice they came out! I've had this southern rust free 79 Magnum GT with E58 Police motor for about fifteen years. I'm in the process of cutting my collection of 31 cars to ten or less, and sadly this is one going to have to go. I've owned eight Magnums, but this is the only GT I've ever seen in real life. They're that rare. But I have a big block 78 with T Tops, and I can't part with it. Problem is that the cloudy yellow headlight doors stood out like a sore thumb and the crap that's advertised for this would be an excercize in mental masterbation. That if for very light ĉlouding, not 40 year old clear plastic. What I did was very aggressive - but really came out better than my wildest dream. Follow along and I'll give step by step instructions.
    My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

What you're going to need is:

1. 500 grit waterproof sandpaper
    2. 1000 grit waterproof sandpaper (Click here)
    3. 3000 grit sanding disks (click here)
    4. 3" polishing pads (click here)
    5. Plastic polishing compound (Click here)
    6. Roll of blue tape
    7. Good cordless drill
    8. Spray bottle with one drop dsh soap and 12oz water
    9. a good short stool on wheels
    10. Clean Microfiber rag

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

tape off around the area you're going to restore to protect. A couple layers is better as the water and sandpaper will wear out one layer.

I do 500 and 1000 grit by hand, and not with drill. I cut a 2" strip and fold in thirds.

Keep spraying a little soapy water on door to lubricate sandpaper. Use small circular light pressure patterns moving across top left to right to where you'll have three rows (top, middle and bottom) with slight overlap. All of the work of removing yellow and deeper scratches are are done with 500 grit. the doors will look hazy and scare Hell out of you, but don't stop until the yellow and scratches are gone.

Comment

Now get out the 1000 grit.

The purpose of 1000 grit is to cut down the scratchy haze from the 500 grit. Use same light circular pattern, spraying often the keep plastic and sandpaper lubricated.. Spend a good bit of time doing this, and you'll feel the plastic get smoother to touch, and look almost clear when wet. You have to get it smooth and fairly clear in this step as next step won't remove scratches, just clear up better.

Comment

Next step is the 3000 grit pads on drill. These pads clog quick. Wipe off water and dust first and use same pattern of left to right top, than middle, then bottom. Pad won't last long, and you should use two pads on each door. NO WATER

doors should look pretty good at this point.

Last step is polish. Use orange pad and put about a dime size dot in center of pad.

Before turning drill on, smear pad all over door to cut down on splattering. Use same pattern of side to side for three rows and don't let and go dry. Rub off residue between applications. I used four applications of polish per door - but this is one time more might be better. Stop when you think you can't get it ant better.

Remove tape and admire your work. Wash with oapy water, rinse and dry.

Stand back and admire your work.

Comment

3M has a kit available that is the same process. I use that on my '06 Malibu, but you need to spray it with a UV clear coat to help prevent it happening again. I haven't so it needs to be repeated every couple of years. About 15 bucks at Wal Mart.
            "You're only as old as the women you feel."
            -Groucho Marx
            Moparless for now

Comment

I've actually ordered the coating on Amazon, and will be applying it when it arrives.

I prefer hand sanding rather than the kit - because you have more control of pressure, you can better get into corners, and kits come cheaper paper (and not enough for a set this far gone) that you can't wet sand with.

Comment

Nice work BK!
                WPC# 12304 / 1970 Plymouth Duster / 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye / 1977 Chrysler Cordoba

www.cordobaclubusa.com

Comment

Looks really good . . . sorry you have to part with it.
                  1975 Charger SE E68 323
                  1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
                  1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
                  1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Working...
                  X