78 B-Body Anyone know where to find

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 B-Body Anyone know where to find

a 1978 Dodge Magnum fuel sending unit with 400ci motor (I think bigger tank)? I'm not having much luck.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Got the fuel sender from Magnum pulled enough to photo to find a replacement. It obviously a single line with screw lug and a pop on terminal. Can't find one for a 75 B Body and wondering if the C Body will read correctly.

Comment

I can't find a 78 B Body anywhere. Vans Auto LLC carry more sensors than anyone. I emailed them saying I was looking for one and that I was told that the C Bodies work. They only answer they gave me was.

We do not have the correct sending unit for a 78 Magnum. Thank you for checking with us.
      Has anyone ever had replace a 78 B Body sender?

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
        I can't find a 78 B Body anywhere. Vans Auto LLC carry more sensors than anyone. I emailed them saying I was looking for one and that I was told that the C Bodies work. They only answer they gave me was.

Has anyone ever had replace a 78 B Body sender?
        I have a 79 300 tank (dual exhaust tank that you know about ) that comes with a sender ( modified to a 3/8" pick-up tube ). Believe it has a 3/16" return port which you can just cap off. Tank comes with straps, filler neck.

Comment

This is a little late.......

I replaced the sending unit on my 78 Magnum about 12 years ago. If I remember right I bought it from Brad's NOS Parts. He has a web site. I think you will be lucky to find one as I don't believe anyone is making reproductions. There are some companies that may be able to repair your original. I was surprised at how bad mine looked, full of rust. I think I finally threw the original away about a year ago, probably should have kept it. Sometimes the problem is with a bad float.
          Original owner --- 1978 Dodge Magnum XE

Comment

Update: I used an earlier B Body (I think 75-76) and really don't yet know how it affects accuracy - but it fit. What I did find is that the one I pulled actually works, but there was a pin hole in the float. I saved it and will locate a float if the one in the Magnum appears to not be accurate.

Comment

I replaced the one in my 78 Fury like 8 or 9 years ago and at the time I didn't have a hard time finding it, but was told it was one of (if not "the" last one) left in the dealership pipeline...
              just like the wiper linkage arm, same story when I had to replace that. I KNOW mine was the last one-- in the warehouse network anyway, not to say some dealer don't have a couple of these collecting dust somewhere....

but... with the sender it always worked fine from the time I installed it from 8-9 years ago til this year, It has always read low, as in when plum full it would max out at ~7/8 on the gauge.
              This year, it works sporadically.... sometimes it reads sometimes it stays on "E" and ~20-25 miles down the road it might decide to start working.

Comment

Working...
              X