Wrong kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong kit?

Alrighty, so I tore my 9801S Thermoquad apart last night to get started on the rebuild, internally this thing is in amazing shape as if it's been gone through before, or it was used very little. Problem is, I used the Tomco number of 5320B to cross to Hygrade rebuild kit 1574 and the gaskets are slightly different. The Tomco kit looks like it comes with more gasket options whereas the Hygrade kit comes with only one top gasket, and two options for the bottom which are dang near identical. I've attached a picture of the bottom gasket I pulled out, and the one from the kit. Every site I've used says this is the right kit according to the Tomco number, but I don't feel like going to all this trouble just to have to tear it apart again. I'll snap a pic of the top gasket later as I think it's also different enough that it may not work.

so many kits now have consolidated many kits into one with the gaskets for all model options. The reason is that they now sell so few items to rebuild 40-50 year old parts, that it is cheaper to put all gasket options in one box than to carry five times the number of parts numbers of slow selling parts.

While not knowing for sure on the Plastic Fantastic, my guess is that you're supposed to test fit the different gasket options until you find the one that was made for your body without blocking any openings.

That said, I'm not a Thermoquad expert.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
      While not knowing for sure on the Plastic Fantastic, my guess is that you're supposed to test fit the different gasket options until you find the one that was made for your body without blocking any openings.
      That's the problem, it only came with one gasket for the top and two for the bottom, none of which match the old ones. I found a kit that has the proper gaskets, but at this point I'm so frustrated that I just might set it all off to the side for now and just buy a new carb instead of buggering with all this old stuff.

Comment

Is is that difficult just to swap top gasket?

From looking at the photos of bottom gaskets, I don't see where it might block any holes if open one was used.
        Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
        Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
        Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Working...
        X