Fuses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuses

Are the gauge lights on a separate fuse from the other dash lights such as the clock? I ask because so far the only lights I can't get to come on are the gauges and interior. Would anyone have a fuse block diagram that they could take a pic of and text me or put on here in a reply?

The instrument panel lights (as well as some other lighting) are powered through Fuse #1 from the headlight switch. One page in my electrical manual says Fuse #1 is 4 amps and another says it is 5 amps. This circuit is for all of the lamps that are dimmable. If this circuit is dead you would not have any instrument lights, no radio illumination, no ash tray light, no gear selector lamp, no heater A/C switch lamp and possibly no clock display.

Fuse #7 is the feed for the stop lamp switch, interior dome lamps and the cigarette lighter.

If some of the items are working and you don't have interior lights then check to make certain the filaments are all good. It's unusual for them all to be bad but I've seen it before when a voltage regulator goes south and the charging system is putting out close to 18 volts.

I have the electrical manual and I'd be glad to help you troubleshoot things. It would likely be easier to email you scans of the pages if that's all you need to troubleshoot it by yourself. Hope this helps.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll scan them and send them along.

Dave
    Original owner --- 1978 Dodge Magnum XE

Comment

Originally posted by Doba77
      Are the gauge lights on a separate fuse from the other dash lights such as the clock? I ask because so far the only lights I can't get to come on are the gauges and interior. Would anyone have a fuse block diagram that they could take a pic of and text me or put on here in a reply?

The best investment, in my opinion, that you can make for working on your car is a FACTORY service manual; they are generally available cheap, and a MUST HAVE for any vehicle owner!

A quick look at Ebay shows this.....but search around, they are available, and probably cheaper, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth-Factory-Service-Manual-Set-/252392726482?hash=item3ac3c75fd2:g:1-sAAOSwP~tW52y6&vxp=mtr

And another......:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-CHRYSLER-PLYMOUTH-DODGE-ELECTRICAL-CHASSIS-EMISSION-SERVICE-MANUALS-/291569265773?hash=item43e2e1ec6d:g:TIwAAOSwFnFV~xl Q&vxp=mtr

Note that there are two manuals, one for chassis, and another for electrical! Be sure to get both! This is only one question you have.....there will be MANY others soon.....this is a 40 year old car.....lol!
      Last edited by R-body_mopar; 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine with a 76 gave me the brand new headlight switch he bought to try out in hopes that's the problem. Every other light in the dash works but the gauges, and when you turn the knob to dim them it's, for lack of a better word, crunchy. Will try it out tonight and see what happens.

PM sent Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Doba77 View Post
          A friend of mine with a 76 gave me the brand new headlight switch he bought to try out in hopes that's the problem. Every other light in the dash works but the gauges, and when you turn the knob to dim them it's, for lack of a better word, crunchy. Will try it out tonight and see what happens.

PM sent Dave.
          You have email!

As R said, the manuals for these cars are not a lot of money and indispensible when troubleshooting. There are about 5 or 6 lamps that illuminate the gauges, I can't remember the exact number. It's unlikely those are all bad. However, they were notoriously dim. I ended up putting aqua colored led lamps in my instrument panel and it made things easier to see at night. So, if you are looking for illumination during the day you may not see it. Does the radio dial light? Does the heater and A/C control light? If they do then it's not with the headlight switch. The dimmer function in those switches was done through a rheostat. Those sometimes had a rough feel when you were adjusting the brightness.
          Original owner --- 1978 Dodge Magnum XE

Comment

Originally posted by daveo50 View Post
            You have email!

As R said, the manuals for these cars are not a lot of money and indispensible when troubleshooting. There are about 5 or 6 lamps that illuminate the gauges, I can't remember the exact number. It's unlikely those are all bad. However, they were notoriously dim. I ended up putting aqua colored led lamps in my instrument panel and it made things easier to see at night. So, if you are looking for illumination during the day you may not see it. Does the radio dial light? Does the heater and A/C control light? If they do then it's not with the headlight switch. The dimmer function in those switches was done through a rheostat. Those sometimes had a rough feel when you were adjusting the brightness.
            Yuppers, the radio, clock and HVAC controls all light up and dim when I turn the knob. I'll head out later in the evening and see if they aren't just super dim.

Thanks again for the email Dave!

Comment

Well, got the new switch installed, and still no gauge lights. Time to check bulbs! On a side note, the dome lights work now using the headlight switch, but not when the doors are open which is no big deal. Think I may have found the cause of the "crunching" noise though!

Comment

Also, to the right and center of the gauges is a 8-10 prong plug, make sure this is making connections. Also there's one in the center of the cluster, check it as well.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                  Also, to the right and center of the gauges is a 8-10 prong plug, make sure this is making connections. Also there's one in the center of the cluster, check it as well.
                  Will do, going to get the cluster out tonight to check the bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                  X