Grrrrrrr.....spark plugs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrr.....spark plugs!

Please tell me that there's some trick for getting the plugs out of the drivers side. Got the front one no problem, but got so frustrated with the next one that I damn near threw my ratchet through a window.

Been there, done that. Snapped a few in my time. It's a bear when they are locked. The only thing that brought me a little success was hitting them for a minute or two with a propane torch to add some heat. Otherwise, soak, soak, soak with penetrant.

Comment

What problem are you having, getting a wrench on the plugs or seized?

Big block or small block?
      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post

I assume by the post that the problem is seized plugs on a big block 400, as the 318/360 should be relatively easy!

The 400's could be a problem, especially #7! Hint: DO NOT wear a metal flexible watch band when working near the starter, unless the battery has been disconnected.....it can be very painful.......!

If this is the 400 engine that is seized up, how did you soak it with ATF and acetone, without removing the plugs???? Just curious!

Comment

I like to jack the car up and remove most of the plugs from the underside. A long box end wrench works pretty well. You might give it a try.
          Last edited by histoy; 06-02-2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R-body_mopar View Post
            If this is the 400 engine that is seized up, how did you soak it with ATF and acetone, without removing the plugs???? Just curious!
            I should've specified, the passenger side is soaking as I had no problem getting the plugs out of that side. Was hoping to get the drivers side done last night, but just couldn't get to them but the one.

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post

Actually getting to the plugs, it's a big block.

Comment

Originally posted by histoy View Post
                I like to jack the car up and remove most of the plugs from the underside. A long box end wrench works pretty well. You might give it a try.
                Might just give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Doba77 View Post
                  Actually getting to the plugs, it's a big block.
                  Doba77, I bought one of these at a garage sale for $1.00 about 50 years ago.....and have been using it for everything since then! :

http://www.championaerospace.com/pro...ormerly-ct-405

It works great, still, despite it's age and wear.....it also helps to have a good magnetic 13/16" spark plug socket, and a set of 3/8" extensions (all sizes)......and a VERY useful tool is the "wobble" extensions, for tight places where you can't get on straight to the plugs. :yeah that: Another very useful tool is the thumb-turn extension, works great especially for installation (starting threading) of new plugs!!

If you can find one of these at a garage sale, or Ebay.....grab it!
                  Might even be available new???? But I'd hate to ask the price.....lol!

Comment

Had a late 70's Fury cop car with the 440 and went from the bottom on it pretty easily. Low rise ramps come in very handy....

Comment

I have a similar wrench I'm not sure where I got it from.

Sure is handy in odd spots.
                      "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                      -Groucho Marx
                      Moparless for now

Comment

Working...
                      X